Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF56J9040SR Ice maker frozen solid, won’t work

(Topic created on: 12-08-2020 03:34 PM)
Cornered
Journeyman
Options

So, I originally posted this on 18/04/20 in response to someone else's problems with their ice maker.
I have an RF56J9040SR that has just presented this problem 1 month after the warranty has expired !
From reading other forums and watching you tube there are literally HUNDREDS of people reporting this as a recurring problem with this feature across multiple Samsung appliances. Apparently it may be caused (or was in my case) by the ice box feature freezing up so there was actually no ice in the box because the delivery is frozen up. The USA info shows a ‘force defrost’ sequence to assist dealing with this however I cannot find any EU equivalent info at all. We have just emptied the fridge, turned off the power and manually defrosted the box ourselves. Would be great if Samsung would provide this information but they seem surprisingly reluctant.

26 REPLIES 26
Cornered
Journeyman
Options
.......and here I am again just over a month later and the same thing has happened again!!
In the meantime I had a message from a moderator suggesting I might find a solution in the manual. Well I have read that manual cover to cover and nowhere in it does it refer to a solution for this problem or anything similar.
Back to good old fashioned manual defrost again - extremely inconvenient in the least for such an expensive item!!
MA93
First Poster
Options

I gave exactly same experience and keep doing manual defrost - very bad design.

niw reading similar issue across see my original query below!
I wonder if any one has same issue with frozen ice around the ice making mechanism- Samsung support not responding

it is a regular occurrence around every 2-3 weeks it accumulates around the biz and nit able to dispense ice ?!!

thanks

Marcus827
First Poster
Options

Seems this happens on all of the ice boxes that are in the fridge. In the US they are taking Samsung to court and they have started to issue refunds. Mine goes out of warranty in 6 months time and I have the repairers coming out for a 2nd time to fix the icebox. My machine has also defrosted it's self once and I lost the contains of my feezer. Samsung were not interested as it was now working correctly. 

Cornered
Journeyman
Options
https://youtu.be/JrloHZis2NM Found this recent report from the US - what is happening for EU/UK customers? Are we to get refunds also??
Cornered
Journeyman
Options

@Cornered wrote:
https://youtu.be/JrloHZis2NM Found this recent report from the US - what is happening for EU/UK customers? Are we to get refunds also?

And yet again...........
Unfortunately it is not fixed - it has frozen up on a monthly basis since this first happened and i have to keep defrosting it manually!
When you very carefully remove the ice bucket you should be able to see what looks like a blue sticker on the side of the unit- that is some sort of defrost button from what i have read but i think that it just defrosts the internal workings not the entire box. Apparently this can be pressed and held once and you hear a chime which indicates it is working, replace the ice box and leave it. I have started to turn off the ice making function from the front control panel to stop the machine trying to force more ice through. 

However, I still end up manually defrosting by turning the freezer off and using a hairdryer on cold to loosen the ice around the unit 

Pagee33
First Poster
Options

I have also got a similar samsung fridge with the ice maker freezing issue. Since the fridge was out of warranty we have also starting having the ice build up which we have to de-ice manually every 2 - 3 weeks even after using the FD program to defrost as I believe this just defrosts the tray. I have seen hundreds and if not thousands of complaints to this online and so by any standard this is a defect and should be addressed by sumsung here in the the UK as it has been in the US.

If anyone has any advice on how to escalate/proceed with this complaint please let me know.

Nebu
First Poster
Options

Having similar problems for the last few months. I have to keep the icemaker off till it runs out of ice and then turn on the ice maker again. But this is not the best option.

0 Likes
Consumer_rights
Student
Options

I have the same issue here in NL, type RF56J9041SR.

I see a possible solution to have a consumer organization to start a so called (new in Europe) class action lawsuit. Since the UK is still in the EU, it could benefit. But it has to be for all EU citizens.

I can imagine that we email a consumer organization with this request. In NL we have the consumer org: “Consumenten Bond”. 

Davvers
First Poster
Options

I have an RF56M9540SR and it seems that the ice-maker is totally frozen as I tried to remove the unit but it's only moving approx. 1 cm. Looks like I'm going to have to empty the fridge and try to defrost too. Not very good for a machine costing £3000!