Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

observations on water temperature inside wash drum WW90T534DAN and why quick washes could give bad results

(Topic created on: 12-02-2023 11:35 AM)
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

some observations on a wash load I done today on our Samsung WW90T534DAN with a digital temperature meter.

Cycle time was 1hr 30minutes ( 40'c wash / 3 rinses / 1000rpm spin 'intense' option selected) 
wash was 40'c 'mixed' cycle.  - Max temperature of water in drum got to 38'c which was good. 
But.... it only reached 38'c after half an hour (it took all that time to heat up incoming cold water of around 9'c to 38'c ) then washed in 38'c for only about 5minutes if that until drum emptied to do its 1st rinse . 

so be under no illusions with 'Quick Washes' on this machine (and of course with other manufacturers machines that all work in the same way (take cold water in from the back of the machine - cold fill only)  and then heat up the water to wash temperature by means of electric element at the bottom of the drum in that 1hr 30minutes of a cycle only nearly 5minutes (if that) did your washing wash in 40'c (or near it) water temperature. - it too over half an hour to heat the water from 9'c (incoming cold fill from the water mains) to 38'c . 

The machine actually has a 15minute 'quick wash' feature and the temp can be set up to a maximum 40'c so if you do the maths and physics and it takes over half an hour to reach 38'c then how would the washing machine in 15minutes heat up the water to 40'c .. then rinse..... then spin? - all in that 15minutes. 

So if you are finding that (and i know the new modern powders and liquids boast these days to work in low temperatures) your clothes are still coming out dirty / stained / smelly after even a 1 and a half hour cycle you might understand that all your clothes washed in the  water temperature you selected on the front panel it more than likely only just spent 5 minutes out of the hour and a half washing at that temperature! 

Now you know possibly why when you do a non quick wash it can take around 3hrs or more to do a proper cottons wash say. 

andy_in_ireland_1-1674750193235.png

andy_in_ireland_0-1674750165965.png

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
Normally when a 40⁰C temp is selected the machine should heat up to 43⁰C. Do you live in an area with hard water by any chance? If so, limescale has probably built up around the heating element. Give it a drum clean with a descaler.

This a little unusual since these machines have a 2000W heater (more than a Hotpoint or Candy/Hoover machine)
0 Likes
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
Correction: the heat to 43⁰C is an outdated thing. New Samsung machines reach 40 now (I'm guessing to save energy in the long run). 30 mins for 9⁰C to 38⁰C is a little lengthy for 2000W and little water. 20 minutes or less sounds more normal.
0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

thanks thats surprising that they are still 2kw elements in them these days and not gone much weaker now in terms of Eco/ save the world / energy rating these days. 

I should not think limescale , we have, well neither hard or soft water where I am . and the machine is one year old in February. 

EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
I've figured something new on my machine which is annoying. It's likely that you're having the same issue now that I'm properly getting to know my machine.

I started a Cotton 60⁰C with Bubble Soak today for a full load of bedding (two sets of double bedding). Firstly, the machine detected a 2kg-3.5kg wash load (it didn't do the annoying fabric detection because it weighed more than 2kg) but it should've detected a half load (6kg to be honest).

The initial saturation process was complete and the machine started heating up the water as soon as it decided to top up with more water. Strange pattern. I soon heard a number of clicks in the minutes to follow. I checked my smart meter and sometimes it was showing the electricity usage per hour being 500W and at other times 2500W. This told me one thing... that the heating element was switching on and off every 5 seconds.

Basically, the machine was heating the water up but very slowly - certainly a glitch. Adding around a litre of water manually solved this issue. I did that because I knew the machine wouldn't do a refill. I'm quite annoyed since I tend to stick to 40-60⁰C wash temperatures and decided to choose a new Samsung machine instead of repairing my old Samsung because of the energy consumption. I do like energy efficient washes but I really do appreciate a 60⁰C wash being a 60⁰C wash. I'm really not too happy with my machine. The other day I was washing a small load of cottons and it decided that it should wash it gently 'due to AI analysis'. I choose the cotton programme for a reason! Automation will never be perfect.
0 Likes
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
https://youtu.be/OdjbArzz89E

Just found this video which appears to show the issue in a £1,200 machine. Not ideal. It is overloaded but the YouTuber here tends to overload machines of all brands and usually - and amazingly - reports good results all the time.
0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

maybe the heater turning on and off at 2500w equals less stress on the 13a plug and stops it from overheating? 

I have the 500euro version WW90T534DAW of the £1,000 machines and it being cheaper they have not included the extra sensor (Tubridity sensor is it?) so even though it has AI still it does not detect how dirty the washing is (by emptying a bit of the tub water) or what fabric is in the drum. If I set it to cottons it swishes fast, only time I think drum gently tumbles is on delicates and wool programs

EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
*2000W. The extra 500W is my normal household usage with the dishwasher and washer off. The turbidity sensor only gets used on the AI Wash and detects the level of soiling. The fabric analysis feature is new to the 2022 machines but I'm not a big fan of it tbh. I chose the cottons programme for a reason the other day and it decided to wash gently (not as gentle as the delicates wash though). Apparently it adds water using the jet and detects the change in water level to determine the type of fabric. It automatically adjusts the wash intensity (always a gentle action for mixed fabrics on my machine for some reason) Can it tell the difference between towels and microfibre cloths? Never which is why I hate it. It can't be switched off either.
0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

@EcoBubbleUser944 wrote:
*2000W. The extra 500W is my normal household usage with the dishwasher and washer off. The turbidity sensor only gets used on the AI Wash and detects the level of soiling. The fabric analysis feature is new to the 2022 machines but I'm not a big fan of it tbh. I chose the cottons programme for a reason the other day and it decided to wash gently (not as gentle as the delicates wash though). Apparently it adds water using the jet and detects the change in water level to determine the type of fabric. It automatically adjusts the wash intensity (always a gentle action for mixed fabrics on my machine for some reason) Can it tell the difference between towels and microfibre cloths? Never which is why I hate it. It can't be switched off either.

ah right my machine (identical in looks to yours but without addwash door) is 2020 Series 5 model and does not have that feature. Doesn't have the Jet feature like yours has either. 
I am not even sure i will get that update what you received either. 
Thats annoying isnt it when a manufacturer adds a new feature and you cannot disable it if you want to, or dont like it .

EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
I have the WW11BB944DGES1 - basically the sucessor to the WW90T986DS* models I believe. To my amazement, I washed curtains on the Auto Optimal Wash programme today and it did accurately detect the fabric type. I remember reading a post on Samsung Newsroom that an update would be rolled out to all connected washing machines in January 2023 that would include a 'Less Microfibre' cycle. Strange how it still hasn't been sent to the 2020 machines. I really wish Samsung would let users disable features like you said.
0 Likes