Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Noisy Spin Cycle on WW90TA046AE/EU

(Topic created on: 13-02-2022 11:11 AM)
DuncBrown
Journeyman
Options

We just replaced out old Samsung Eco Bubble machine from 2012 with the latest equivalent. The old one had a broken spider I think and so was really noisy during the 1400 spin. I was really disappointed with the noise of the new machine in spin and am wondering if it is OK. I measured it during spin at over 72 decibels and when spinning some jeans that were slightly uneven it went to around 78. It sounds like there is some sort if knocking when it has washing in. Spins fine when empty. Feet are stable and machine is calibrated. The tank itself doesn't seem to move much, just the drum inside seems to wobble a bit when making the noise.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
Check the washing machine is level

This page maybe helpful

What to do if your washing machine is noisy or vibrating

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/home-appliances/my-washing-machine-is-noisy-vibrating-how-can-i-m...

When spinning in the washing machine, it makes hitting sounds. What is the cause of this?

https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/home-appliances/when-spinning-in-the-washing-machine-it-makes...
0 Likes
DuncBrown
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for this but I have followed all that already, it is not the washer that is making the noise, there is no machine movement or vibration. This all comes from the drum and the tank.

0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
If new washing machine
And done all recommended fixes
And still an issue
You could try contacting support
Explaining the issue
They may help

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/
0 Likes
Solution
DuncBrown
Journeyman
Options

For anyone reading this and sharing a similar problem, my machine was diagnosed as faulty by a Samsung engineer on Thursday 10th Feb. So surprisingly for me this machine had a drum problem from manufacture and was delivered in a faulty state. I am not sure how often this happens but a very simple way to diagnose it for me would have been for Samsung to have asked me to measure the spin cycle noise. I downloaded an app to do this and it measured up to 78 decibels on a 1400 spin which is way over the spec for the machine given at 72 (and those 6 decibels are a lot, trust me).
So my advice would be to anyone who is concerned about the noise of their machine:

1. Check all the installation instructions about machine being level etc.
  2. Make sure your waste pipe actually goes up to somewhere near the top of the machine before going down to the drain connection as I was told failing to do this can lead to too much water in the drum on spin.
  3. Download a sound measurement app for your phone and measure the noise on spin. If it gets to 72 decibels then it is noisy, if it goes above it then I suspect you have a fault. 

For reference we had our new machine today (same make and model) and it rarely goes above 65 decibels but with some towels at a 1400 spin it went up to 70/71 decibels but I never saw it hit 72 and certainly nowhere near 78.

0 Likes
Tray18
Student
Options
Hi. My new machine (same model) is doing the exact same thing. Iv only had it 2 months...started noticing the squeaky sound a few weeks ago. Been in contact with Samsung in the past 3 weeks weeks...gone nowhere, even sent videos. It's also makinga loud tapping noise even when I have just one towel in to test the drain and spin. So loud. I don't think it's normal. Iv done everything you mention apart from the noise app, but done every possible check Samsung have suggested too, cleaned filer...so clean, no trap clothing or coins. Do you think it is faulty? I even tried pulling drum towards me with nothing side...it makes the same squeaky noise.
0 Likes
DuncBrown
Journeyman
Options
I would say this sounds like the same kind of manufacturing fault. Insist on a callout and it is likely they will scrap the machine and supply a new one as they did in my case. They do say if it is operator error they will charge you call out but you sound like you have checked thoroughly as I did.
0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

all transit bolts removed from rear of machine? - there is space either side of the washing machine cabinet? its not in a tight confined space ? on wooden springy flooring or concrete flooring? - feet level? washing nicely balanced inside the drum with a selection of small and large items? - drum not overloaded nor underloaded ?

I like to use 1000rpm on ours even though it has max of 1400rpm spin speed, not only is quieter but I believe over time it prolongs the bearings and wear and tear - yes the clothes are not as dry at 1000rpm vs 1400 but there is not that much difference I find , certainly I personally would rather help the machine have a longer life than drier clothes , plus I think it helps prolong my clothes spinning at 1000rpm less severe .. added plus less creases too 

0 Likes
ODB1
First Poster
Options

You've probably sorted this by now. I also had the loud tapping noise on spin with this model. I went through the fault remedy process on the Samsung support site including calibration before asking an engineer out. He ran the plug in diagnostic check which, as I expected, found nothing wrong. I persuaded him that the noise was too loud to be normal so we ran a spin with 3 towels in. He immediately agreed there was a problem, took the top, back and front off the machine and found a very loose mounting bolt which had clearly been like this since new. Problem sorted. The whole process of booking the call out was very straightforward and well communicated.

0 Likes
Tray18
Student
Options
Hi everyone. Thank you for suggestions. I finally got Samsung engineer out 2 weeks ago. I explained everything to him. He pulled the drum forward and back again a few times and within 2 mins he said it was a manufacturing fault. Came back 4 days later and changed something inside behind the drum. Now it doesn't make any squeaky or tapping noise. I can't remember what he said the thing was he changed but it worked so I'm happy. I did take me a whole month to get someone out to check it.