Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microwave MC28M6055CW Crusty Pan on High Rack causes arcing

(Topic created on: 11-05-2021 02:58 PM)
FieryPhoenix
Student
Options

Hi

I've just purchased the above microwave today and am going through the manual and trying out the Smart functions. 

I tried cooking some frozen chips using the Auto Hot Blast function. The manual recommends putting the chips in the crusty pan and placing it on the high rack. I tried this but the crusty pan touches the back of the microwave and it starts arcing. I contacted support who asked me to check that the turntable was placed correctly, which it was. I tried cooking it without the rack, just the crusty plate and it was fine. But I'm not going to use the crusty pan / high rack function again as it's too dangerous. I believe it's badly designed and the crusty pan is too big. Support offered me a refund but I don't want a refund, I just won't use that facility again. Has anyone else had this problem? 

13 REPLIES 13
Bev
Student
Options

Hi
yes I too have had this issue. I bought the microwave nearly a year ago, and had this issue of arcing when using the crusty plate on high rack. I called Samsung, who in turn sent an engineer. He 'condemned' the microwave, and the Samsung gave me a code to get my microwave swapped (bought form AO). This was done with in a couple of days.
Sadly, the new microwave does exactly the same. I too do not use the high rack with the crusty plate because of this.  The engineer did say it might be because the enamel might be too thin further up in the microwave where the crusty plate catches on the back, OR the crusty plate might be too thin with the enamel on there.
I am considering getting a smaller plate then it wont catch on the back 

0 Likes
Lylaa
First Poster
Options

Hello. I bought this microwave last week and noticed the same issue, and now I’m afraid of trying to use the plate again! The support tells me to send it to them, but I’m trying to avoid it because I really need the microwave and by reading your comments I don’t think the problem will be solved.
So tell me something please, I have used it once before in the low rack on Slim Fry and it didn’t happen. Just to confirm, does it happen to you while using the plate on the low rack?

Thank you

0 Likes
Bev
Student
Options

Hi 

this only happens for me when I use the high rack. Using low rack I don’t have any issues. 

FieryPhoenix
Student
Options

Hi Lylaa

Apologies for the delay in replying. Tbh I hardly check my gmail account.

In the end I decided I didn't want the stress of being restricted into how I could use it, plus the turntable didn't seem to rotate properly. In the end I decided to go through the inconvenience of returning the item and getting a full refund. And I bought a new microwave which works without any problems. Can I recommend 

PANASONIC NN-CT55JWBPQ Combination Microwave 

It's about the same price and has similar functions, but without the arcing! Hope it's not too late for you to return the microwave. Best wishes. 

0 Likes
Lylaa
First Poster
Options

Thank you for your reply!

Best wishes

0 Likes
jimborae
First Poster
Options

Yes I also have this issue, I beleive the arcing is coming from the rack itself rather than crusty plate. 

0 Likes
Cobwebs
Explorer
Options

I've had 2 of these microwaves with the same problem, the 2nd one has recently been taken back by the engineer and Samsung are deciding whether to offer me a replacement (which I don't want) or a voucher to get another microwave (which I don't want). I'm hoping I will be offered a refund. I'd be interested to know if the larger 32L drop door model has this issue as I've not seen any reports online. I've been told it could be up to a month before I hear from Samsung with their decision . So in the meantime I've bought a non hotblast Samsung combo as I can't manage without a microwave and that has no issues at all. It's obviously a manufacture fault with the 6055 model as the enamel on the back wall is non existent in some places and very thin in others, I have reported this hoping Samsung will take it onboard and rectify it. 

0 Likes
GerryM47
First Poster
Options

Hi bought 28 ltr as replacement for my previous 32 ltr unavailable. NEVER had arcing issues on previous unit . First use of high rack with fries and arcing appeared,does not happen on low rack use. New crusty plate has odd small area of bare metal showing on edge ( despite being new)and I  suspect this is causing problems. Glad I’m not the only one with issues  and will now be contacting Samsung. They either have a design issue and need smaller plate or a quality control problem with accessories. 

0 Likes
Cobwebs
Explorer
Options

Gerry, the 28L needs a smaller crispy plate.

I ended up getting the 32L drop down door Hotblast in the end, no problem whatsoever with arcing on this model. I can confirm the cause of the arcing is because the hotplate is too large for the 28L and touches the rear of the cavity causing arcing. On the 32L the crusty plate is a good 1" away from the walls and has never arced once since I had it. 

The only problem I found with the 32L was the door steams up between the outer and inner glass (plastic?). I had 4 of these, one after the other and they all did it, I'm on my 5th and that does it too so in the end gave up and admitted it must be just something this particular model does. Never had it with any other microwave in my life and I've had microwaves since they were first available in the early 70's. 

Good luck contacting Samsung, they don't seem that interested in rectifying the fault with the arcing on the 28L, they told me unless they get a lot more complaints about it, it's not worth their while investigating the matter. pffft.....

0 Likes