Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge Freezer RL60GZEIH - leaking water from the freezer compartment

(Topic created on: 22-03-2021 10:34 PM)
kUrGaN_UK
Apprentice
Options

I have a 10 year old Samsung Fridge Freezer (UK), Model RL60GZEIH which has frozen water at the bottom of the freezer compartment, and occasionally water has been pooling in front of the unit. Looking inside the freezer, water appears to be coming out from behind the rear panel and freezing. I have done some research and understand this is usually a blocked defrost drain, and have watched videos on YouTube how to remove the rear panel and locate the pipe(s) and remove the clogs. 

When I removed the rear panel, there was no obvious defrost 'pipe', but there was what appeared to be a (dry) tray and a small rubber flap above it (like the end of a balloon) which was dry and tightly closed. Can anyone please tell me if this is the defrost drain / hole that I need to try and unblock and if anyone has any experience of doing this?

Many thanks

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
milk2sugarsplz
Explorer
Options
you have to remove the freezer rear panel. Then locate a small hole which maybe concealed slightly by a metal tray above it. this hole leads to the small pipe at the rear with the rubber flap attached. the problem can actually be the rubber flap gets stuck together at the end and stops water coming out, which causes the internal pipe to freeze up. you need to trim back the rubber flap slightly with a pair of scissors, then poor hot water from inside the freezer until water comes out from the rubber flap at the rear. it's a bit messy to do I'm afraid, so you'll need towels and a sponge to mop up the water.
kUrGaN_UK
Apprentice
Options

when I removed the panel at the back of the freezer compartment, I expected it to be open, but it seemed it was all still sealed with no obvious openings. Am I missing something, or do I have to remove something else to see the drain hole? All the videos I have seen, when you remove the panel at the back of the freezer section reveals an open space, but not from my experience. The rubber flap was definitely stuck together slightly at the rear as it didn't seem to open very easily. 

0 Likes
MarcusFuto
Apprentice
Options

Hello Kurgan, I have exactly the same problem as you. 

I have not been able to solve the issue. What I did was stick some straws inside of the rubber, however, that did not seem to help. 

Did you try the above-suggested solution to pour hot water from inside the freezer? I am not exactly sure where to poor that water. 

If you solved this issue I would be very happy to hear your solution :smiling-face: 

I think that there might be something that got stuck inside of the drainage pipe, however, I'm not sure how to get it cleaned. 

All the best! 

Marcus

kUrGaN_UK
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I'm afraid I encountered the same issues. I tried using pipe cleaners but didn't have any effect and the water kept appearing. Like you I couldn't work out where to pour water as the rear of the freezer inside is sealed. In the end I am afraid I took the expensive option and replaced the fridge freezer. The only other option would have been to call in an engineer. 

0 Likes
MarcusFuto
Apprentice
Options

Here is a video of how I made it work: https://youtu.be/Xvj4VlNKM4A

Also, I inserted two cut off straws on the back of the freezer in the drip rubber to keep it open so the condense water can drip down easier. 

The problem I believe starts when that drip rubber gets stuck together so water can not pass through the rubber down to the compartment above the motor which is supposed to evaporate the water. The water builds up inside the pipe until it finally reaches the freezer part which obviously freezes the water and the ice prevents the water from dripping further done, hence ending up in the bottom of the freezer and eventually dripping out from the front of the freezer on to your precious floor. :smiling-face:

Hope it helps someone. 

0 Likes
MarcusFuto
Apprentice
Options

the drainage hole is covered somewhat with a metal plate which I bent up with a screw driver. Watch out because that metal plate is sharp as a knife. Cut me really badly. 

0 Likes
StephK1
Options

Hi all, 

Please note that we can only recommend undergoing repairs with authorised Samsung engineers. If you feel that your fridge is in need of a repair, please reach out to the Samsung Support Team, and they will be able to take a look into this for you. You can find their contact details here: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/ 🙂

0 Likes