Go to solution Solved

DV8800 Tumble Dryer - Door Hinge Loose / Fault / Flaw

(Topic created on: 14-04-2020 08:29 AM)
warrenashcroft
Apprentice
Options
Model: DV90N8289AW/EU

Hello,

I have just purchased this tumbe dryer, however it seems to have a flaw... the door (hinge side) has a lot of movement in it and does not close properly to create a full seal.

This means air is escaping, and the machine/room is getting covered in fine lint.

I found another user with the same issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHLhrA9WvbI

And another user left this review:

Lint production is out of control and often there is lint around arond the door and in the hinge which is difficult to remove. We have to vacuum out the lint trap every second load to prevent this from happening. We don't have particularly plush or fluffy stuff so I'm surprised there is so much lint as never had this with a previous dryer. Customer support hasn't been that helpful in solving this (although did send a tech out to replace the door - the tech is lovely and realy helpful).

Since lots of machines seemingly have this same issue, I'm worried that it's a design flaw and whether I should return the machine and go for a different model?

0 Likes
Go to solution
30 REPLIES 30
LauraBB
Apprentice
Options

Did you go through the Customer support or how was this hinge replacement resolved? I have the exact same issue and have been barricading my tumble dryer door for a while to avoid the massive escape of lint and moisture. 

0 Likes
LauraBB
Apprentice
Options

Hi there, 

I have the exact same issue and see that this can be resolved with a hinge replacement. My door hinge gives way too much room and movement and the door doesn’t seal properly, which I’ve been trying to solve by applying external pressure to the door with alternative furniture. Now that I know a new hinge can be installed, please can you advise on how I can arrange for this?  

0 Likes
warrenashcroft
Apprentice
Options

Customer support on Samsung.com organised one of their local engineers to look at the machine and replace the hinge with the new part.

0 Likes
Joe9O
Student
Options

I wish I had read this post a lot sooner as I have had the exact same issue and am sick of hoovering up after using this dryer.

This could actually be a serious health issue as breathing in any form of dust should be avoided. If it is a design flaw then Samsung should recall all that are affected and make sure they make them safe to use. I have contacted Samsung today hoping my issue can be resolved quickly.

onceloyalcustomer
Journeyman
Options

I too have this problem and after 2 months of chasing Samsung resorted to Twitter.....  they responded within an hour!

Got a call back the following day and their answer was, sorry, out of warranty. 

This is a design flaw Samsung!  Unit is not fit for purpose at the time of purchase......  spewing hot air with lint and dust into our home atmosphere putting our lives at risk.

Will never buy another Samsung product but unfortunately my kitchen is already end to end Samsung!

New hinges are on eSpares for just under £80.  Better than throwing an £800 dryer away.

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1770135/washing-machine-door-hinge-assembly

0 Likes
LauraBB
Apprentice
Options

That’s insane. I’ve also chased customer service for two months, they promised they’d send the replacement hinge and told me to replace it myself!!!!!!! I’m right months pregnant with no tools at home whatsoever and I should just take my <£1,000 tumble dryer apart and replaces hinges? 

but you’ll love this, the replacement hinge NEVER came! And everytime i reconnect with customer service, I have to start explaining from scratch. To this day, I have no replacement hinge or an engineer visit. 

Needless to say they lost an affluent customer forever. Especially, as I agree, this exhaust of lint and dust does indeed pose a very serious health risk for me and my future baby. 

onceloyalcustomer
Journeyman
Options

Disgusting behaviour by Samsung - hiding behind "warranty" terms even though this is a design fault.  Looking at my legal options but you can be sure I will be shouting this from the social media rooftops.  I firmly believe this is a health risk due to it spitting out dust and lint into the environment......  let's see what the lawyers say!

Options

It's definitely a design flaw. I had the same problem and posted about it in my own thread:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/home-appliances/tumble-dryer-generates-a-huge-amount-of-dust-lin...

Mine was eventually fixed by replacing the hinge after three visits by an engineer. 

The engineers don't know about this issue; it's Samsung's fault.

I urge everyone to complaing to Samsung and write to consumer organisations such as Which.co.uk.

0 Likes
Volleybolley
Apprentice
Options

I have the same problem. I have found a company that has the updated hinge, but I haven't received it yet. I have two large Samsung fridges, 3 or 4 phones, a washing machine, but I will not be buying anymore Samsung products until Samsung admits the problem and corrects it. Really poor design fault and this means that the A++ rating does not apply as heat passes via the door and uses more electricity and does not dry quickly like my previous dryer.

0 Likes
Volleybolley
Apprentice
Options

Update on my Samsung tumble dryer. I oredered two hinges, both wrong sizes. So i removed the original hinge, shaved 2 mm off of it using a floor sander. Replaced the hinge and door. It now works perfectly. No more lint of heat. Thanks Samsung. That cost me 120 EUR for the two hinges which I can't return as they are not accepted.

Samsung, get your myriad of people to admit the design fault. I am now going to use social media to let everyone know about this design fault.

0 Likes