Go to solution Solved

DV8800 Tumble Dryer - Door Hinge Loose / Fault / Flaw

(Topic created on: 14-04-2020 08:29 AM)
warrenashcroft
Apprentice
Options
Model: DV90N8289AW/EU

Hello,

I have just purchased this tumbe dryer, however it seems to have a flaw... the door (hinge side) has a lot of movement in it and does not close properly to create a full seal.

This means air is escaping, and the machine/room is getting covered in fine lint.

I found another user with the same issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHLhrA9WvbI

And another user left this review:

Lint production is out of control and often there is lint around arond the door and in the hinge which is difficult to remove. We have to vacuum out the lint trap every second load to prevent this from happening. We don't have particularly plush or fluffy stuff so I'm surprised there is so much lint as never had this with a previous dryer. Customer support hasn't been that helpful in solving this (although did send a tech out to replace the door - the tech is lovely and realy helpful).

Since lots of machines seemingly have this same issue, I'm worried that it's a design flaw and whether I should return the machine and go for a different model?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
warrenashcroft
Apprentice
Options

Resolved via Samsung service - there is an updated door hinge part which resolves the problem, now the door closes tightly.

View solution in context

30 REPLIES 30
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @warrenashcroft 

Are you still having this issue or did you manage to find a resolution?

0 Likes
warrenashcroft
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

Still have this issue - check out these pictures which demonstrate the amount of lint that is escaping the machine via the loose door, from only a couple of cycles:

IMG_0290.JPEG

IMG_0292.JPEG

IMG_0293.JPEG

IMG_0294.JPEG

ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Could you please use our online troubleshooter here, to see if this helps in any way, and let us know the outcome?

0 Likes
warrenashcroft
Apprentice
Options
No use, this is a physical problem with the door not closing/sealing fully.
0 Likes
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @warrenashcroft

It does seem that your Washing Machine is faulty and would need an engineer's inspection, however, if you're still within the first 28 days from the date of purchase, we would suggest speaking to the retailer to discuss your options.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Solution
warrenashcroft
Apprentice
Options

Resolved via Samsung service - there is an updated door hinge part which resolves the problem, now the door closes tightly.

AntS
Options

Glad to hear that it's now been resolved for you. @warrenashcroft!  And thanks for letting us know! :smiling-face::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

0 Likes
Options

Wow, I am so angry after seeing this thread.

Yesterday I spent ages talking to Samsung support about this exact problem and they denied it existed and told me I should use less fabric conditioner during my wash. I knew it was nonsense because my old dryer didn't produce any lint during its cycle.

I just came on the forum to create a topic about my problem - here - and afterwards I discovered this thread which shows this is obviously a design flaw!

I am SO annoyed with Samsung. 

This machine was SUPER expensive and is meant to be the premium/top model of dryer. How on earth has this fault been allowed to go unchecked? Why hasn't there been a complete recall? And why did the support agent not know about this fault as soon as I mentioned it?!

Never again, Samsung!

TomLe
First Poster
Options

Problem Solved : 7mm- short hinges fitted on the door handle. Engineer replaced it with correct parts.

Thank you for everyone who contributed to this discussion, I had the same issue with DV90N8289AW/EU for the last one year, last week I contacted Samsung online team and send pictures and videos. We had an online trouble shoot for almost 2 hours. Issue hasn't resolved, then I send a copy of this link to the customer care agent to have a look at it. 

They arranged an engineer visit next day. The Contracted engineer was also not aware about this issue. He thought it was a broken sealing issue.

Finally he accepted it was the problem with hinges. He replaced the old hinges with new one. The problem completely solved. There is a  7mm difference between both the hinges. That was creating the gap to escape hot air through the door.

Now no linen or hot air escaping from the machine.

It was poorly an assembly defect by fitting a 7mm short hinge on the door.

In my openion Samsung should recall this machine at the earliest and replace the defective hinges with upgraded one.