Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clothes smell bad after washing

(Topic created on: 09-10-2021 07:25 PM)
jackhartley
First Poster
Options

Recently my clothes have started smelling worse after being washed.

The machine (WW90T554DAN) is less than 1 year old and is cleaned regularly, both with the automatic drum clean cycle and with a Dettol washing machine cleaner.

Has anyone got a clue about where I'm going wrong? It's not that the clothes just don't smell 'fresh', they actually smell really bad.

It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I dry them outside on the line, or inside on a rack. However, using the dryer machine does seem to make things better.

Please help!

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options

Samsung washing machine or laundry smells bad

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01108629/

Check the drainage filter is not blocked
0 Likes
jackhartley
First Poster
Options
  • I have cleaned the filter and checked that water isn't collecting in the drum
  • Previously I didn't measure out detergent and fabric conditioner, but have now started doing this as some articles suggest that adding too much actually leads to odour

Starting to run out of options that I can try...

0 Likes
IamJai
Helping Hand
Options
Try running it on the Drum clean cycle leave the door and draw slightly open always after it's finished so it can air out try and remove the laundry as quickly as possible
Hope this helps
0 Likes
Dinglebert
First Poster
Options

Our clothes don’t smell great either after washing. We have done everything from changing our washing powder, pods, liquid, conditioner, done the bleaching recommendation on the Samsung help pages to checking filters, water exit pipe, etc. Clothes are dried every which way and they just have that ‘unaired smell’. Something is not right with this model. I don’t expect to pay for a washing machine that has the opposite result of it’s main function. 

Gee4245
Apprentice
Options

I have exactly the same problem and I have tried all the above. The worse thing is I have bought two of these machines! My clothes smell unwashed and even worse after they have been in the dryer! You’re right this model is faulty 

andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

@Gee4245 wrote:

I have exactly the same problem and I have tried all the above. The worse thing is I have bought two of these machines! My clothes smell unwashed and even worse after they have been in the dryer! You’re right this model is faulty 

Could do with a bit more info if that is OK.
1.) What have you got the soap detergent set to? - Low/Med/High?
2.) What have you got the Water Hardness set to? - soft/med/hard?
3.) what have you got the fabric conditioner set to? - Low/Med/Hi?
4.) what have you got the softener concentration set to? - 1x/2x/3x ? 
5.) have you carried out drum Clean + every 40 washes with no water in the drum and no detergent or additives just clean water?
6.) Are you using correct wash cycles? - if you set the cycle for 4kg but you overload it over 4kg then there will be wrong dose of soap detergent and fabric conditioner and not a long enough / hot enough wash. 
7.) are you always washing at low temperatures of 30c say or eco cold wash? - germs and bacteria are killed after long wash of 60c  or more hot water. If you wash at low temperature and its not killing the bacteria in the drum then bacteria will live in drum (bacteria causes odours) then if you then wash another load of washing on cool temperature the bacteria can transfer from the previous washing to the next load of washing and make that smell.
8.) are you leaving the door open a bit after each wash to let fresh air into drum and dry it out? 
9.) What liquid are you using in the soap detergent autodose drawer? - if its one kind for Colours or Delicates it may not have any bleach/bleaching agents to help clean and kill germs - Are you using Bio or Non-Bio liquid? - are you using eco friendly liquid that is kind to environment, or just normal brand named soap detergent liquid?
Try from time to time using the middle manual compartment with some washing powder instead of liquid, make sure its bio powder with bleaching agents in it and turn off the liquid dose when you use powder.
If you have not tried all of this please give them suggestions a try and then see if the machine smells better. 
I am a firm believer that Bio powder with bleaching agents are far better at keeping the washing machines cleaner and cleaner smelling, but as the autodose feature works only with liquid detergent (I dont even know of any washing machines that use powder in their autodose systems- I have never heard of it) but historically liquid detergent can cause sticky gloopy residue on drum tub , pump, hoses and then dirt can stick to that then can smell especially if the water is not hot enough to dissolve it properly... but what can you do - there is obviously a market there for auto-dose washing machines and they are getting more and more popular and wanted by the public but the auto-dose function of these type of machines work with liquid detergent only (liquid is pumped into the tub) so when people may say their previous washing machine did not smell and got clothes cleaner they may have been using bio washing powder instead of liquid detergent.
(sorry for long post!) 

0 Likes
Mizscotty
Journeyman
Options
Did you ever get a response on this, as our machine is doing the exact same thing, clothes smell and so does the machine, I've tried everything, it's only couple of years old and wasn't a cheap washer!!!!
Mizscotty
Journeyman
Options
What have you got the soap detergent set to? - Low/Med/High? MEDIUM
2.) What have you got the Water Hardness set to? - soft/med/hard? SOFT
3.) what have you got the fabric conditioner set to? - Low/Med/Hi? MEDIUM
4.) what have you got the softener concentration set to? - 1x/2x/3x ? NOT SEEN THIS OPTION
5.) have you carried out drum Clean + every 40 washes with no water in the drum and no detergent or additives just clean water? YES
6.) Are you using correct wash cycles? - if you set the cycle for 4kg but you overload it over 4kg then there will be wrong dose of soap detergent and fabric conditioner and not a long enough / hot enough wash. MOST OF THE TIME WE USE COTTON WASH
7.) are you always washing at low temperatures of 30c say or eco cold wash? - germs and bacteria are killed after long wash of 60c or more hot water. If you wash at low temperature and its not killing the bacteria in the drum then bacteria will live in drum (bacteria causes odours) then if you then wash another load of washing on cool temperature the bacteria can transfer from the previous washing to the next load of washing and make that smell. NO
8.) are you leaving the door open a bit after each wash to let fresh air into drum and dry it out? YES
9.) What liquid are you using in the soap detergent autodose drawer? - if its one kind for Colours or Delicates it may not have any bleach/bleaching agents to help clean and kill germs - Are you using Bio or Non-Bio liquid? - are you using eco friendly liquid that is kind to environment, or just normal brand named soap detergent liquid? FAIRY GEL LIQUID
0 Likes
jackhartley
First Poster
Options

I managed to fix this issue by using a lot less washing powder and fabric conditioner with each load of washing. This seemed counter-intuitive, but apparently the powder was not being properly rinsed out of the fabric of my clothes. Consequently, it would remain embedded in the fabric and started to smell funky. Make sure to run the machine's self-clean cycles regularly too, as that will rinse away any residue that might be left in the drum. Hope that helps!

0 Likes