Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z Fold 3 v Z Fold 4 Hardware Comparison

(Topic created on: 22-08-2022 08:16 AM)
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Having both phones, naturally you wonder what the difference is between them. They do look very similar.

Well first thing you will notice is that the Z Fold 4 is slightly lighter than the Z Fold 3.
This will definitely help to reduce the pocket sag when carrying it around.
The Z Fold 3 is 271g and the Z Fold 4 is 263g
Not much in it, but it's noticeable. 

So size wise, the Z Fold 4 is a touch shorter with a wider front screen. 
The left hand bezel has been reduced in thickness to allow for the wider front screen. 

For me it's made the front screen so much more usable. I have big fat fingers and I couldn't get on with typing on the Fold 3.
The Fold 4 is much better. 

Having the hinge reduced in size definitely is better with having a more comfortable hold in the hand feel. I feel it looks better as well.

Speaking of reduced in size. The screen crease has also been flattened a bit more.

Yes it still has one, but it's less noticeable. 
Though for me, the crease was never an issue. Just stopped noticing it.
The screen retainers seem to have the same design as well. So no big changes visible there.

The inner camera and sensor are more or less in the same places.

Naturally the inner screen is a touch wider and shorter. Really the displays on both are fantastic.
But as you see in this image. The crease doesn't catch the light as much on the Z Fold 4 because its not as pronounced. 

The frame seems a bit thinker as well. But seeing both phones I do think I prefer the satin finish on the Z Fold 3.
They are pretty close in total thickness. 

Cameras on the back are probably not too much different from before, but the Z Fold 4 diameter sizes are tad larger.
Will do another post on the cameras. As there is enough of a difference to merit a post.

But from testing so far, they are definitely better than on the Z Fold 3. But not had too much of a chance just yet to test them better.

All in all. Yes these are small differences, but overall it feels and uses better on the Z Fold 4

What are your thoughts if you have got one. Or maybe thinking about getting one.
Let's us know in the comments. 
3 REPLIES 3
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Thanks a great write up, the crease hasn't ever bothered me, but agree the front screen would be more useable than the Fold3 quick replies.

After paying £1800 for the 512MB Fold3 at launch, circa £900 after EPP, trade in and cash back. For the Fold4 it is not offering anything appealing to upgrade.
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You'd have to have specific requirements to upgrade. The biggest is the front screen for me.
But it's more of an incremental upgrade as essentially they are very similar.
For me personally, I couldn't get on with the Fold 3. Chiefly because of the narrow front screen.
So for me it was a worthwhile upgrade to the Z Fold 4.
They are expensive devices, and upgrading from the Z Fold 3, you'd have to think very hard about whether you'd get the benefit from it over the cost
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yes very true, will try a hands on as keep thinking the S22 camera was the way to go, but the foldable screen has been a game changer, especially for work, even when working if not at my desk I can easily do nearly all tasks and run meetings.

Oh plus funny unfolding the screen in front of iPhone users 😜
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
0 Likes