Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z Fold 3 Screen protector and warranty contradiction

(Topic created on: 06-06-2022 10:15 AM)
Danielwhitt
Explorer
Options

Hello. 

So I've got a new Z Fold 3 on the way and I've been worrying about the factory fitted screen protector and warranty. 

Some people says it invalidates your warranty if removed, some say it's only invalidates if you damage it while removing and the. People say they can't claim on there warranty for screen issues when removed. 

So I've checked the Samsung website and its day that we are able to replace our screen protectors ourselves which from what I've read, goes against everything including the warning when the phone is first started ? 

Anyone want to shed any light on this 

Ceers Dan 

26 REPLIES 26
Danielwhitt
Explorer
Options

Screenshot_20220605-112330_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes
Marsha69
Journeyman
Options
My screen Protector on my Z Fold 3 started to crack down the centre in several places, I only purchased it in August 2021, I contacted Samsung and they said replacing it myself would void warranty because it could damage the device, so what if it happens again..? Fair enough it won't be in warranty but is this not classed as design fault..?
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
You hit the nail on the head there, 100% design fault. The fold is too tight so the screen will crack too, not just the protector.
SBasha
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue and advised by staff at experience store that this is covered under warranty and to return it to Samsung, advised on phone that this not covered under warranty but totally OK to replace it myself as its just a screen protector (conveniently the telephone support could not send this advice to me in writing). Advised by Samsung support chat that this was something that would be fixed if I booked in a repair (which I did as I also had a small chip on front screen after dropping my phone). Phone was returned to me with the chipped outer screen repaired but inner screen untouched.. So back to square one. After this appalling experience with support I'll likely never buy another Samsung device again! Nothing but inconsistent advice, inconvenience and nothing that feels like "support"! 

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Danielwhitt 

Removing the factory fitted screen protector on the Fold³ does not invalidate the limited 2 year manufacturers warranty.

The screen protector peels off as easy as most plastic screen protectors.

If however you inadvertently damage the screen through the act of removal then warranty is voided.

The screen protector on my own Fold³ suffered delamination along the centre screen.

I removed mine with no issue and has been fine ever since. The screen works fine and actually looks better without the plastic screen protector on it.

I have read posts where a person has asked Samsung to replace the screen protector, and in some case's Samsung have replaced the whole screen and battery !

I wouldn't want my phone being put through that personally,  but it's a personal choice.

There would be no reason for Samsung to levy a charge to replace the screen protector unless the actual screen is already damaged, or their is another damage on the phone.

The Fold³ is a great phone and I'm sure you'll enjoy what it brings 👍

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Danielwhitt
Explorer
Options
Thanks for the reply. I've got to be honest, I love this phone now I've got it, and I took out Samsung care + because I don't want to take any chances. It seems it's pot luck on warranty repairs, wether you get a good advisor, or a reasonable technician when you get your device evaluated, which is totally crappy.
Since ive bought the phone, I've bought a Whitestone glass screen for the front screen and a Whitestone dome film for the inner screen once it goes funny. I'm happy to replace it myself, just not taking any chances with the repair lottery with Samsung. Also, I got rid of my s22 ultra for this phone and it was the best decision ever.. thanks for the reply
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You're very welcome 👍 

I looked at the Whitestone Dome screen protector for my Fold³ internal screen when the original suffered delamination.

As per some of my posts on the Samsung eu community forum I always use Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protectors on my phone's which are not too hard to apply however after watching various YouTube video tutorials on how to fit the one on the inner screen of my Fold³ it looked very fiddly so I've decided to leave it without one.

I used the Fold³ for quite a few months without a screen protector and it's fine albeit it's now my back up phone so housed back in it's retail box @Danielwhitt 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Danielwhitt
Explorer
Options
I was a bit sceptical of the Whitestone dome film after mixed reviews, but ordered one for my partners z flip 3 when our daughter pulled her screen protector up. It's looks a right faff for just a screen protector, but the way it went down and the alignment were perfect and it feels a lot better than the Samsung protector. No bubbles or dust, and it's flawless. So I bought myself one just to keep for when the Samsung one let's go.
SBasha
Journeyman
Options
I've just removed the inner screen protector. Came of easily. I can't believe it's taken 2 store visits, 3 support chats, a care+ claim, a missed callback followed by a final rant on this forum to resolve something this simple! Lol thanks for the tip @BandOfBrothers. Next time I'll rant/post in this forum first and save myself the time and stress of calling Samsung "support" 😁