Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z Fold 3 Damaged Pixel

(Topic created on: 12-10-2021 04:56 AM)
hrloo
Student
Options

Hello all,

Just wanted to share my experience with Samsung regarding my brand new Z Fold 3. I have been using Samsung Galaxies since the very first iteration of Samsung Galaxy Z. The Z Fold 3 was Purchased on 18th September on Samsung store and delivered to me on 21st September. I did not have a case and so did not use the phone for a few days until my case arrived. Forward one week 1st October, I turn on my phone and suddenly there's a damaged pixel in the exactly in the middle of the fold where the phone folds in half.  I immediately contacted Samsung whom asked me to take it to their authorised repair centre called "iCure" in Granville, NSW, Australia. 

Long story short, Samsung's authorised repair centre found some "puncture marks" on the screen and said the dead pixel was due to physical damage. Upon hearing this, I was flabbergasted. There was no way that I had physically damaged the screen, as I had only owned it for one week and had not dropped it at all, let alone even using it. Also, the phone has the new gorilla glass display and on top of that a screen protector. It doesn't make sense at all that the "small puncture marks" would cause that damage and my suspicions are that it is actually a manufacturing defect but Samsung and their authorised repairer "iCure" are washing their hands clean of the problem and saying that it was customer induced physical damage. 

I escalated it to Samsung VOC, whom unfortunately agreed with the repairer that it was screen damage and that it would not be covered under warranty as a manufacturing defect. This is very disappointing. 

I immediately got the phone returned to me and I inspected the so called "puncture marks" myself. Even using a magnifying glass and shining light directly onto the area where the damaged pixel is, the "puncture marks" are very difficult to see with the human eye and was very small. Without any visual *****, one would never pick up the damage at all. There is no possible way that I could physically cause such a microscopic damage that would be enough to damage a pixel.

I am currently waiting from a response from Fair Trading to see what my options are. As the repair for the screen is AUD$740 and this is absolutely ridiculous.

Capture.JPG

OTH_1535 F926 PUNCTURE MARK ON LCD.jpg

29 REPLIES 29
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @hrloo 

Not a good first experience with your Fold 3 at all  😞

When I recieve my phones the first thing I do is inspect them to ensure I cant see any physical damage and aesthetically it looks ok.

And then also power the phone up to also make sure everything is working and looks right from the display side of things.

I like you won't use my phone until I have a case so now I either order a case at the same time or have one ready for it.

If I purchased my phone from a Samsung Experience Store then I'd open it in-house before leaving to check it over.

I appreciate this is in hindsight for you but I felt it warranted to share how I personally go about checking my new phones out because the longer a person has the phone in their possession the more any subsequent issues could be put down go user neglect.

In the UK we have a 28 day cooling off period to be able to return a phone for any reason, but that wouldn't cover what Samsung UK would deem as unreasonable damage caused.They would assess the phone on it's return.

I appreciate this is most probably permanent pixel damage but it might just be worth checking via cycling through the colour panels a few times via the diagnostic tool accessed by launching the phone app and dialing *#0*#

Worth a shot !

You could raise a complaint ticket via Samsung to raise this to their Esculation Team / CEO Team to see if they can offer support , as well as the route you've already taken.

These phones are very expensive so I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Would you let us know how you get on  ?

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
hrloo
Student
Options

Thank you for your reply.

Yep, when I opened the box, I went through and checked everything, however in saying that, looking at where the "puncture marks" are, I would have not picked it up during my initial inspection as it requires a combination of strong light, magnification and holding phone at certain angles to see the damage.

Yep, I have raised the issue with the VOC, but they agree that its physical damage. I am currently waiting for Fair Trading to get back to me about my case.

Also, I have tried the diagnostic tool, however it doesn't work unfortunately.

Thank you!

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I made an error.

Type in *#0*#

@hrloo 

I appreciate seeing these puncture holes on initial inspection would have been very difficult,  however you would have picked up on the dead pixel and then could have acted sooner is what I was meaning.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Members_eKDUOPz
First Poster
Options

You are not alone with this serious problem. i purchased my galaxy fold 3 a month ago from Vodafone, one morning i looked at my phone  and was amazed to see 2 areas, approximately 3 mm  across of pixel loss.   i have returned the phone to Vodafone and await their response!!

0 Likes
Stevethecat
First Poster
Options

Hello!

I have EXACTLY the same issue

both foliages on even purchased the leather samsung protector.. opened the screen see pixel damages.. waiting for a week and the pixel burns out .. made the mistake of checking the spot massaging it.. NOW its PRESSURE damage and they refuse to repair it..can dish out 550 eur plus iva tax wich is INSANE... have the device for 2 months.. purchased also fold 1 and flip 3 ... but i feel cheated as a samsung client. Horrible experience and as a fan of the devices leaves a sour taste in my mouth and very upset. 

j123456789
Pathfinder
Options

The worst part is that as a consumer you are powerless and in complete mercy of Samsung. I am in total disgust of this thieving company. 

Melby
First Poster
Options

How did you go with fair trading? I just had a little group of 4 damaged pixels appear in the middle of the fold on my Z Fold 2, which I have had since June. I've also had problems with the protector on the small screen, which has been lifting off since virtually day 1 but they refused to do anything about that, and the occasional  catching of the raised bit with my finger nail when I open the phone has resulted in quite a mess.

0 Likes
Brook74
First Poster
Options

Excact same thing I am beyond furious as the phone was 7 months old and the service centrr said will full damage, what's the update?

0 Likes
Mat32
First Poster
Options

I just watched this happen to my phone while watching a video. It's I'm the exact same spot. 

0 Likes