Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z Flip suddenly not detecting when it is folded, cover screen only turns on with main display

(Topic created on: 03-06-2021 11:46 AM)
Schnuupi
Explorer
Options

First of all sorry if this is the wrong place this community website is super confusing.

I cannot get in touch with anyone on live chat it seems to be dead, my Z Flip suddenly out of nowhere today has started acting strangely. It does not detect when it is opened or closed and the cover screen only turns on with the main display. It's like the phone suddenly things it only has one display. If I double tap the cover screen the main screen turns on as well.

It's just started being like this out of nowhere and I have no idea how to fixed it. I've gone through every settings menu but nothing.

8 REPLIES 8
SatiricalJack
First Poster
Options

There's a Galaxy Zflip subreddit where a handful of people have reported this issue after the update for OneUI 3.0 and Android 11, the only solution was to factory reset it. Happened to me as well, and now I'm stuck reinstalling every application and dealing with the nightmare that is setting up a phone for enterprise management without having one on the account. 

Samsung's engineering really needs to remediate this, or at least make a KB on it in the interim. 

If it's the same issue as mine, you can confirm that's what's going on by going to the camera app, and putting into "flex mode" (half folded) if it adjusts to cover half the screen, then it's likely that it's the same issue. I don't think there's a remediation method beyond factory reset. It's likely that, or wait and hope that they put out a hotfix.

Schnuupi
Explorer
Options
I fixed it with a factory reset but now a new similar issue started. It doesn't turn the cover display on at all or after spamming the button or tapping it may show up but it is sporadic and may show up cropped and off to the side, then touch may or not respond. It's affecting the detecting of folded state and the screen takes a while to turn on after unfolding. Factory reset did not fix this one it seems to be a very serious software bug.
0 Likes
GoalLine
First Poster
Options

I experienced this issue just 3 days ago. I thought it was also from an update. I completely factory reset my phone with the internal command prompt via lock + up-volume button, but the issue did not fix. 

My cover screen makes sounds when tapped, but hardly ever turns on. A slow long swipe forces the cover screen on, but it gets stuck in between UI displays. Opening and closing the phone fixes the issue temporarily 2/10 times. I just created a request to have the phone repaired. Its hard to tell if its software or hardware related at this point. One would think a factory default reset would fix this issue, but it doesn't.

In addition to the issue, my cover screen doesnt turn on when receiving a call or when a call is ongoing. It also doesn't turn on after a notification or when I que' Bixby.

0 Likes
Schnuupi
Explorer
Options
Same, so far no fix. Mine has zero response and makes no noise either but the folding still works so it is just the cover screen.
0 Likes
Frodouk
First Poster
Options

Been having issues myself and have worked backwards to remove software or features as it worked fine when I got the phone. 

So far it seems to be the PC link (link to windows) that is causing it. Turned that off and been fine so far. 

0 Likes
Regnarts
Pathfinder
Options
Hello,
Has the OP and those with the same issue attempted @Frodouk's fix/solution?
There has been no more feedback on this issue to know how you have faired.
0 Likes
Schnuupi
Explorer
Options
I've since moved to a fold 3 but I can say it still did it after a reset before even setting phone link up. The cover screen was just extremely buggy.
0 Likes
sasha_san
First Poster
Options

Hey guys. Same problem here. So, my Z flip 3 thinking that it folded. For example when I opened a camera I see screen like a phone is folded but it completely open. Same in gallery or in the apps that was chose for fold options. I didn't try hard reset. But today I received updates and it fixed this issue for 10 minutes. 

0 Likes