Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Z Flip 3 Overheating on 2.1 Amp Charging

(Topic created on: 11-10-2022 05:09 AM)
TroyH
Apprentice
Options

I'm on my second Z Flip 3. The first one started with a small bubble in the screen protector that eventually grew to a giant crease. I was trying to get it fixed under warranty when I noticed that the back panel on the top half (by the external screen) popped open. After a couple of months, I was able to get it replaced under warranty.

Now my new one has a bubble forming, and it's only been a little over a month. I noticed that when I use Android Auto, my phone gets really hot. I saw a few other posts about it, but I wasn't sure if it was actually Android Auto. So, I took my charging cable which works fine with fast charging without overheating and plugged it into my car's charging-only port.

My phone got hot on the top half by the external screen. I then tried plugging into my computer's USB 2 port and the same thing happened. I think the upper battery may have issues with 2.1 amp charging. Has anybody else noticed this, or have I just been unlucky?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

A phone will heat up more when set to fast charge due to the very nature of the process @TroyH  however it shouldn't heat up to the point it can't be held.

I do not use Android Auto so can't comment.

Perhaps another member will.

In the interim ckear the phones cache files > Clear Cache Files from the phone's System Partition Section  > https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-clear-the-cache-on-my-device/ You may need to insert your earphones or hook upto a powered On Laptop to access the Clear Partition Section. This may help with lag or stutters as this clears the phone of old/unused or broken cache files.There is also a Repair Apps option in the Menu System too. 

And it maybe beneficial to clear the apps cache and data via Settings, Apps, choose the app, Storage, Clear Cache and Data.

If your worried then I'd suggest to let a Samsung Service Centre take a look.

I wish you all the best. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
TroyH
Apprentice
Options

Thank you. I've submitted a service request. My IR thermometer's battery was dead, but I used a meat thermometer. The outer case was 110F, and it had been several minutes since I was charging it and was cooler than when I first unplugged it. This was just charging. I wasn't even using the phone.

The heat has melted the adhesive on the screen protector. It not only has a huge crease now, but you can feel bumps where the glue melted. I just wish Samsung had an advanced replacement option. I hate the idea of being several weeks without my phone again. The nearest service center that can actually work on this phone is a 2 hour drive away.

0 Likes