Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another cracked screen along the fold for Z Flip 3

(Topic created on: 24-05-2022 02:20 PM)
MrAmar
First Poster
Options

After reading all the other posts here I find solace in that I'm not alone. But poor form Samsung!

My Flip is 9 months old, so definitely covered by the warranty. I also have Samsung Care.

I noticed recently that along the fold, the screen had developed cracks at the left and right edges. Imagine if I continued to use the phone in about a year the cracks would meet in the middle.

So I got my phone collected last week and today I'm being asked to pay £99 excess as my "Warranty void due to impact damage". The phone has a tiny dent in one corner, which doesn't effect the working of the phone. 

I checked Samsung website on what it says about warranty and : "The warranty does not cover accidental damage. If your device has a smashed or cracked screen, this will be deemed out of warranty. If the device has deep scratches or dents that cause the device not to operate, this would also be classed as out of warranty."

My phone works fine. And the cracked screen is due to a Samsung defect.

Called Samsung to complain and the lady on the phone says that I need to pay the excess and if the engineers deem that it is not a fault due to the dent I'll be issued a voucher. For Samsung store. Now why would I want that. I'm still out of pocked £99 and they just getting me to buy something from their store.

I know it's not a lot of money. But I also shouldn't be paying to repair an issue that I have had no hand in.

Been a Samsung customer for ages, first phone was the S6.  And on my 2nd watch now too.
But I'm tapping out. Samsung you have lost me.

24 REPLIES 24
b12spirit
Student
Options

Same exact thing for me. For me, spent 4 hours in customer service, I paid the $99 deductible for the T-Mobile insurance to get a "new" one (since I need a phone asap, and pretty sure it will crack in the same way) and I can't change it or trade it because it was bought through installments, so I am screwed. Once I receive the "new" one, I will just not fold it. Been a Samsung customer for 7 years, but after this no more. Once I am able to swap to a new phone, I will just go for an iPhone and change my watch for an apple one. 

0 Likes
DocJeff
Explorer
Options

My Z-Fold was purchased 5 months ago from Samsung directly since they sent me a "Loyal Customer" offer. I was allowed to trade in my Galaxy Note 20 for credit towards this Z-Fold. I sent in my Note 20 when I received this Z-Fold. Loved the Z-Fold until the dreaded black line started out of nowhere. I never dropped it and it was fully encased with the Samsung cover with Note pen. It happened while on a plane and simply opened it. Throughout the 4 hour flight....the black line eventually turned into a 1-inch black zone and unresponsive on the right side. I started a service request within 24 hours. I sent it in and had the dreaded email and phone call stating..."we are unable to repair and it has been determined that this damage is from "non-warranty damage"....WHAT??? I am without a phone since I traded my Note 20 in and now Samsung is deflecting the design flaw as if I threw against the wall while the phone was open and some how caused damage as the crease!!?? B.S. Samsung!!! What a loser company. I can't wait for the multi-million dollar class action lawsuit. 

DocJeff
Explorer
Options

My Z-Fold was purchased 5 months ago from Samsung directly since they sent me a "Loyal Customer" offer. I was allowed to trade in my Galaxy Note 20 for credit towards this Z-Fold. I sent in my Note 20 when I received this Z-Fold. Loved the Z-Fold until the dreaded black line started out of nowhere. I never dropped it and it was fully encased with the Samsung cover with Note pen. It happened while on a plane and simply opened it. Throughout the 4 hour flight....the black line eventually turned into a 1-inch black zone and unresponsive on the right side. I started a service request within 24 hours. I sent it in and had the dreaded email and phone call stating..."we are unable to repair and it has been determined that this damage is from "non-warranty damage"....WHAT??? I am without a phone since I traded my Note 20 in and now Samsung is deflecting the design flaw as if I threw against the wall while the phone was open and some how caused damage as the crease!!?? B.S. Samsung!!! What a loser company. I can't wait for the multi-million dollar class action lawsuit. When I sent this in for repair it only had a small black down the fold portion...this is what they returned to me.When I sent this in for repair it only had a small black down the fold portion...this is what they returned to me.When I sent it in the Z-Fold only had a small black line down the crease...now 90% of the screen doesn't work.When I sent it in the Z-Fold only had a small black line down the crease...now 90% of the screen doesn't work.

DocJeff
Explorer
Options

Notice that there isn't a single ding in the frame around the screen. NEVER dropped.

Members_crMNi0B
First Poster
Options

Same here, 9 months, screen cracked along the fold and Samsung refuses to guarantee. Was loyal to Samsung over the past 15 years but will definitely switch for the next one

Timo63
Explorer
Options
Don't be fobbed off. They try it on with everyone. I was told that I had to pay £279 as there was an unrelated "fault" which had made my warranty void. 4 weeks after arguing I received my phone back with no explanation. It was fully repaired and no charge. Result.
DocJeff
Explorer
Options

Why the heck did you pay for a repair??? I fought it and they "fixed" it for free!!! Also, they repaired your  phone with the same screen that will go through the same issue in 4 months. Samsung didn't  fix the defect....they just put a "new improper designed and defective" screen. Good luck in 4 months when it happens again.

TripleT
First Poster
Options

Same here - had phone about 9 mos and started to crack. Been using Samsung only for 12yrs and will rethink the bottom line. I had insurance but still have to pay 99.00 and redo everything when I get the new one... such a pain. What happened to being customer focused. 

0 Likes
Alann88
First Poster
Options

Same. 5months I woke up with a black line down the "flip" or "bend " on the screen 2 hrs later its completely detached from the frame or whatever it should be attached to. The whole screen is black and lifted like a massive bubble. Vodafones (who I took the contract out with for the phone) engineers said its due to damage dealt by me.... the screen is perfect and free from scuffs apart from the obvious  manufacturer design fault. 

I've hit dead ends from samsung/Vodafone/carphonewearhouse. Even tho I took out the "extra care/protection" package with Vodafone which I had to pay extra for. Everyone has dismissed it including samsung by saying its damaged by owners fault. 

Even professional repairs company's said basically Samsung has and will dismiss any responsibility when it comes to their flip/fold phones cracking on the fold. So unless we've got £500 to repair a already £1200 phone then you're basically F***ed.

My mother in law is a retired solicitor and we're going to take it further. So more stories will all help towards the case.

They can't be allowed to put out a product to the masses and then just dismiss the so called "warranty" when they F**k up. 

If anyone has managed to get a resolve from the same situation please share with us.