Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Russian government update

(Topic created on: 29-09-2021 11:19 PM)
magoo1982
Apprentice
Options
My UK official Z Fold keeps asking me to download an official update that includes apps to be installed by the Russian Goverment.

Has anyone else had this,? Surley being in the UK this can't be right?
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @magoo1982 

My Fold3 is direct from Samsung UK to which I've just downloaded the newest software update that included the September patch.

However I've not had this type of message on my UK Fold3.

Can you screenshot the pop up and upload it into your thread here.

Your correct to be cautious to what you download into your phone.

Only accept updates direct from your phones software update section and from sources such as the Playstore and Galaxy Store.

There was a post recently that showed an update that preffered to Russia but I think that's because when Samsung push certain updates they have to cater for different countries rules however a software update wouldn't include downloading apps, only new functions and features unless expressed by a countries government.

This is the other thread Galaxy-z-fold-z-flip/what-s-with-the-russian-government-requirements-with-the-new. 

This is my recent UK update,

Screenshot_20210928-180219_Samsung Internet(1).jpgScreenshot_20210928-180204_Software update(1).jpg

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
magoo1982
Apprentice
Options
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me
This is the update I've received, my phone was recently repaired by Samsung care + and was offered this update once I restored my phone.

Just find it odd it mentions Russian federation and apps

ThanksScreenshot_20210930-083559_Software update.jpgScreenshot_20210930-083542_Software update.jpgScreenshot_20210930-083554_Software update.jpg
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Are you sure you got the same phone back from the repair job and they didn't switch it with another customers? Seems odd that it would go in for repair and come back wanting to install Russian region ROM updates all of a sudden
0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
I'd get back in touch with the repair shop. Something clearly is wrong.
Would have a warranty for the repair.
If you still have the box, the label normally has an imei number on it. Is it the same one as the phone you have now.
Did you buy the phone new from Samsung or from a phone carrier?
Could be just the software has been set to the wrong region.
Maybe try and reset the phone again and pop a SIM card in when you set it up.
Other than that I would contact the repair shop
0 Likes
AntS
Options

@magoo1982 I've asked at our end, so hopefully we can get some info to shed light onto it.

I thought the other one that BandOfBrothers linked to above was one of those instances of random weirdness that crops up occasionally, but it's interesting that it's happened on at least two UK Z Fold2's around the same time. 🤔

I'm guessing that your various accounts (Google, Play Store etc.) aren't set to anything Russian (or countries around that area).

Which network is your phone on? And, might seem a random question, but what colour is your Z Fold2? (I'm wondering if there's a specific network and device SKU that this update has gone out to.)

magoo1982
Apprentice
Options
Hi its the bronze version and I'm on EE network. It still has same IMEI and serial numbers from before they collected it.

The phone was originally purchased direct from Samsung UK and all accounts are UK. Only thing I can think of Is I used samsung smartswitch to back up and restore through PC so maybe it's a Russian version if it I have I'll have a look.

I'll try and reset the phone again this weekend as well while I have a bit of time. And if that doesn't work I'll contact samsung again.
magoo1982
Apprentice
Options
Thanks guys 👍
AntS
Options

Hi all! Just following this one up for folks, as we've received an official statement on it now:

"Samsung has confirmed that an incorrect message about the new update was unintentionally shared on a limited number of Galaxy Z Fold2 devices due to a technical error. We can confirm no applications related to Russia are installed through the software update and there is no effect to your device. Samsung apologises for any inconvenience this may have caused to our customers and will work to prevent similar cases from occurring in the future."