Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Language / Speech services

(Topic created on: 05-02-2022 10:30 AM)
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

Just before Christmas I bought a Galaxy-Z Flip3 which has been working fine. But for the past week or so, each day when I power it on, a message appears from something called Google Speech Services (or maybe it's Google Language Services) saying that it's waiting for an internet connection. And although it never actually finds whatever it's looking for, it seems to use quite a lot of power while it's waiting...

I can disable the app and if I then power up again, it won't appear for the rest of that day. But the following day it's back again. Is there some way to disable it permanently?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi
Click on the playstore app
Click on your profile picture
Click on manage apps and devices
Click on manage
Click on speech services by Google
Click on the three horizontal dots
And uncheck
Enable auto update
0 Likes
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

Thanks xSteveuK. I won't know until tomorrow if it's worked but that looks promising!

0 Likes
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

No, unfortunately it didn't work 😞  The message appears every morning and looks like this:-

Speech services by Google

Downloading English (UK) update

Waiting for network connection

I took another look at the setting you mentioned yesterday and Enable auto-update is still unchecked this morning  🤔

0 Likes
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

FWIW I noticed yesterday that if I click on the Speech Services app, then scroll down a couple of pages I see a HUGE list of customer reviews - and the majority of recent ones are complaining about this very problem. One review suggested that uninstalling Speech Service updates and then re-installing would fix the problem (which it doesn't...)

After a few days of testing it's become clear that uninstalling updates or disabling them has no effect. So is it possible to simply uninstall the Speech Service app itself? Or can the service be switched off or disabled somehow?

0 Likes
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

" One review suggested that uninstalling Speech Service updates and then re-installing would fix the problem (which it doesn't...) "

This seems to have worked for me....

1) Disable automatic updates as described earlier by xSteveuk

2) Uninstall the latest update for Google Speech Services

3) But DON'T reinstall it again

0 Likes
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

Anyone know if this ever got fixed? I've had Speech Services disabled for the past 4 or 5 weeks but I'd like to enable it again.

0 Likes