Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Fold 2 Hinge

(Topic created on: 18-03-2023 01:03 PM)
Matlock777
Student
Options
I've had the Fold 2 for 2 years now and it has performed very well. It is in great condition as well. A few days ago, put of the blue, the phone no longer opens completely to it's 180 degrees flat. It open just short of the flat to around 175 degrees or so. I cannot see any issues or debris in the hinges opening, and the phone has lived in a case since day 1. Any solutions to fix this would be most appreciated?
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Muhammedz
Pioneer
Options
I had the issue with my Fold 3 after about 6 months. Luckily it was still under warranty so it was replaced by Samsung.

There's no other solution unfortunately, but it's not worth paying the repair cost for the Fold 2.
0 Likes
Reuben1
First Poster
Options
I am considering buying one of these, could you please tell me if there long life
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Matlock777 

I wouldn't suggest any home style DIY methods as the hinges are intricate. 

Even though the phone's 2 year Manufacturers Warranty may have elapsed I'd still suggest to let a Samsung Service Centre assess the phone.

The cost maybe miminal  !

You can then weigh up the cost of repair to the cost of the phone. 

Who knows they may help as a Goodwill Gesture.

Also look to any insurance you may have through Home Contents Insurance and some Bank Accounts provide cover as a perk of the Account.

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Reuben1 

I have owned the Samsung Fold³ since launch day in August 2021 and the phone has performed well including the hinge.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Matlock777
Student
Options
Thanks for the feedback
0 Likes
Matlock777
Student
Options
I have had my Fold 2 for just over 2 years and it has never given me a days problem. I still have the original protective screen guards on too and it looks the same as the day I bought it. The only issue now is the hinge, which I have found out the issue
0 Likes
Matlock777
Student
Options
Thank you so much. I agree with you.
0 Likes
Matlock777
Student
Options
Update: so I have discovered the issue. Slowly some clothing threads started to appear peeping out the gap in the hinge from under the screen. I pulled them out as these must have got stuck in there from use over time. Still the phone did not open fully, but better. There was a glue like greesey substance smeering on the hinge still which I kept wiping away. Then today, I noticed that there was a black "something" appearing from the same gap. Using tweezers I grabbed it to slowly pull it out thinking it's another clothing thread. Low and behold, it was the protective brush material that is used to stop dust entering the phone. It had somehow bundled up inside the phone and got stuck in the hinge itself, preventing it from opening properly. This explains the glue like substance I saw on the hinge. After removing it, as the phone wouldn't open much at all, now it works as new, opening properly. The concern now is the dust protector is not on place. Then again, how did it allow clothing threads to enter the phone?
0 Likes
zee000
First Poster
Options
Hi my phone has also got thread stuck in it cqn i asked what u used to get it out as the opening is very small
0 Likes