Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cracks in fold on Z-Fold 2 and 3

(Topic created on: 13-09-2022 01:23 PM)
Lineyoung
Student
Options

Hi, I'm a bit lost here.

I have been passionate about Samsung phones since I reviewed gadgets 15 years ago and have been working myself to almost all models; and was super excited to purchase Samsung Zfold 2 a couple of years ago, but I noticed there started coming small cracks in the screen, but it didn't bother me too much, so I did not send it in. I bought Z fold 3 some months back and recently started noticing cracks in the fold; since I bought both phones directly from Samsung, I find it to be expensive not to get it fixed, so I spent a couple of days trying to find a way to contact Samsung Support, they agree to pick up fold 2 (I decided to wait with fold 3 since I can not live without my mobile since my online banks and authentication keys are mobile-based) I just received from Samsung stating;

"Following our initial cosmetic inspection of your device, in line with Samsung’s guidelines, we would like to inform you that your device repair will not be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty due to physical damage. Therefore, this will be a chargeable repair."

This is 100% incorrect; the cracks are only in the fold, and I now fear they will dismiss both phones' cracks as physical damage. Anybody else being in the same situation? And know where to complain?

8 REPLIES 8
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options
Samsung won't fix such faults under warranty. search the forum, loads just like you! It's the main reason I would never purchase one myself.

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
Lineyoung
Student
Options

That's crazy; cracks in folds are a manufacturing issue since the whole point of the phone disappears if you can open or not close it, it can simply not be right, and there has to be so consumer rights for this?

0 Likes
Members_UTiOYAB
First Poster
Options

This exact same thing has happened to me. My Z fold 3 was in perfect working condition, had a protective case and had never been dropped or damaged, I put it on top of my bedside locker one night and when I woke up in the morning I opened the fold and a line appeared along the fold, eventually the top half of the screen becoming unresponsive and the bottom half turning black. 

I just received the exact same communication today from TMT first repair centre quoting me £309.00 to repair. 

I am absolutely livid, 1 because I am a long term loyal Samsung customer, having owned various Samsung products over the years and 2 with a quick check online there are hundreds of customers reporting the same issue. Even the customer service assistant at the 02 shop where I purchased the phone advised me that it was quite clear it was a defect in the phone itself and not physical damage. The courier also told me the many Z fold's they are receiving to send back is ridiculous. 

I can't seem to find any where to complain about this but I am eager to report to trading standards, I can't even get through to Samsung support as it keeps telling me no agents are available. 

0 Likes
Members_k8RElPw
First Poster
Options

I'm having same issue small hairline cracks allway up crease been told warranty will not cover this physical damage caused by opening and closing your fold.. also if you take off your inner protective case all warranty is void does not say this on  website but they told me this .so what a waste of money the phone and warranty is ..DO NOT BUY A FOLD OR FLIP THEY ARE NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. Samsung will not admit or repair under warranty..Back to iPhone for me at least they honour warranty 

Tazuk
Journeyman
Options
Had issue with Fold 3 Screen protector de-laminating on the hinge and Samsung wont cover on warranty.
This seems to be very big issue with Folds looking through Forums seems to happen every 8 months or so.
One customer even came up to me while I was at repair centre and seems like he had exactly same issue.

Seems like Samsung is using all this to make extra money off the folds when they should be replacing free of charge as screen protectors are not fit for purpose.

I definitely will be getting rid of mine as soon as I can
0 Likes
Petequ
Explorer
Options
Yes same here cracks no damage by myself hundreds of reports as such

Funny not one acknowledgement or reply by samsung 🤔 IMG-20220908-WA0004_11437_1662672032.jpg
0 Likes
Sassie1
First Poster
Options

I feel like a class action lawsuit is warranted. 

I've had the Z Fold3 less than a year. Cracks developed on the fold. Asurion replaced the phone because I was under a year. Sent a new one, same issue is developing but now they want me to pay to replace the device, I'm still under a year of having the phone. They will buy my phone for $700 ( a fraction of what it cost) and put me in another $1800 phone? Uh, no!

0 Likes
jlat8397
First Poster
Options
Same issue said it was physical damage clearly isent but they won't do anything 20230414_173517_1000011736_1681490120.jpg
0 Likes