Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first experience of Samsung Aftercare (Terrible)

(Topic created on: 21-05-2021 10:32 PM)
kenai1310
Apprentice
Options

My partner upgraded to the Samsung Z Flip via EE UK  on contract last year. Tbh I advised her to avoid the phone due to folding screens being new technology & possible issues with the screen later down the line. But she loved the phone & upgraded anyway.

Anyway after 13 months, one day she fipped open the handset to be presented with a big grey line exactly where the fold is, she was so disappointed and we assumed there was nothing we could do as we thought that Samsung only offered 12 month warranty. The handset was placed in its box & in the cupboard. She started using her old phone instead. 

It wasn't until a month or so later a work friend stated to her that Samsung offer 24 months warranty, not 12.  So she contacted EE to ask for advice & they confirmed they could return the handset to Samsung under warranty for repair. Couple of days later Samsung call her to advise the handset has been damaged??  She was shocked as the handset has never had any damage, drops or any such incidents - infact she treated it with kid gloves since she got it- always in her leather phone pouch.

Whilst I have never owned a Samsung mobile device, considering the price she paid for this its absolutely shocking the level of "premier service" she has received. She spent nearly 4 hours speaking to both EE & Samsung - each pushing responsibility to each other.  Samsung cant even confirm the "exact damage" they refer too?? 

We are in the process of an official complaint to Samsung via Resolver, but I have to say I'm extremely shocked at the poor level of aftercare she has experienced from Samsung UK  & whilst this maybe an isolated case its left a bad taste & in future we will give Samsung a very wide berth.

10 REPLIES 10
Penguinbo
Voyager
Options
That's not very good customer service at all. So sorry you have to go through this.
Xx
DaveyxG
Pioneer
Options
So sorry to hear about your bad customer service experience. I hope it gets sorted for you. I've had to send my phone for repair under warranty before as the screen got screen burn and they replaced it for me and gave me a new battery while they changed the screen so I was happy with the service I got. Maybe her Z flip got damaged in transit which shouldn't mattet anyway as the product is under warranty. Its shocking they wont fix it as its still under warranty. I hope they can sort it for you. Hopefully someone from Samsung will see this post and rectify it for you bloody hell over a thousand pound worth of product you'd think they can keep there part of the agreement
0 Likes
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
It's these posts that put you off the care +.
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
I took out insurance on my S21 Ultra with EE directly kenai1310 and when my battery failed and took my phones display out with it I must say that EE were brilliant with the whole issue. They were helpful and friendly on the phone and picked my phone up next day via courier and allowed me to track my repair via their website and the phone was returned to me some six days later with a new battery and display and touchscreen and with a full repair report printed both on paper and in pdf format and it looked like new and performed brilliantly. I was delighted and paid nothing towards the repair of course. I am sorry that your partner has been through such a bad experience. This must hurt more than going through this experience yourself. She should be enjoying her Z Flip not going through all this misery. Good luck to you both kenai310. 👍👍
0 Likes
Penguinbo
Voyager
Options
Sounds hit and miss. With the promotions recently it sounds like less stress to do what you did and purchase another if anything out of standard warranty happened. You can do a repair at some point on your first one or sell as spares an repairs at least. Xxx
kenai1310
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for your replies & well wishes to get this resolved. Ironically I worked for EE (then Orange) for over 10 years - back then they replaced the handset, although it was a reconditioned one, they were generally good as new. EE generally have been very helpful, an appointment was made by them over the phone with my wife to take the phone down to our local EE store. They then sent the phone onto Samsung under warranty repair. However Samsung on the other hand was a different matter - the first call informing her the handset was damaged was very difficult to start with as the representative had great difficulty understanding my wife (either the call was from an non UK call centre or the representative spoke poor english) The Samsung representative just stated the screen is damaged & was very vague about anything further - infact the representative didnt even seem to know it was a folding display handset. Obviously my wife corrected her stating its not damage its a fault with the handset? But she simply stated this was a technician report.   EE stated they cant really do much as this is a warranty issue & only Samsung can resolve this.  Yet Samsung is referring my wife back to EE ..its just ridiculous service from a major smartphone manufacturer. 

Obviously there is something not right - either the handset has been damaged in someway between the EE store & Samsung repairs or the "technician" seems to deem a fault occurring on the fold screen as "damage" ?  I am just totally shocked at how bad & unprofessional Samsung have dealt with this.  

Anyway we have taken this further - we have already placed a complaint via Resolver & I have also sent a complaint email to the CEO & a written letter to Samsung HQ.  We have also copied in our complaint to EE.  We can only await a reply to our complaint & take it from there. 

kenai1310
Apprentice
Options

Just updating the outcome of our complaint.  The Presidential Escalations Team have been brilliant in trying to resolve this & have inspected pictures of my device (which has since been returned to us from its initial journey to be repaired) They have concluded that it is not "damage" & nothing untoward has occurred on the device  which would void the warranty, therefore they are going to replace the screen under warranty free of charge.

Thank you so much to a certain individual within the Presidential Escalations Team whom I wont name directly  (not sure about rules naming Samsung staff on here) but thank goodness some customer focused people do exist within Samsung UK. 

Anyway thought I would let everyone know the positive outcome to this. Although, whilst its a shame we had to "jump through hoops" to get to this stage & how this was even flagged as "damage" in the first place still baffles us, we are just happy its going to be sorted out. 

And for anyone interested in the actual pictures of the device screen fault I have attached them. IMG_20210526_061855.jpgIMG_20210526_061601.jpgIMG_20210526_061620.jpgIMG_20210526_061641.jpgIMG-20210525-WA0001.jpg

0 Likes
laddie007
First Poster
Options

having just read this . i'm shocked this has also happened to me.

My samsung z fold 2 is 10 months old and cost in excess of a grand ,last tuesday the screen kept going blocky and then the phone went off, so i contacted samsung and it went to tnt for repair , they informed me that the hinge was damaged now i know that phone has never been dropped and been in a tough rubber case with the factory  screen protector still on they said the hinge had impact damage so my warranty was void  i asked for the pictures of damage and there is 4 small marks on the back of the hinge were it says samsung across it that is were the cover cant protect as it is a hinge ,after a lot of phonetime to samsung i had to pay the 99 quid to repair the phone , so beware buying any flip or fold samsung phone if there is any marks or scratches on the hinge the warranty is void , ironically that is the part you cannot get a cover for as it is a hinge.

screen protector still on 

0 Likes
kenai1310
Apprentice
Options

Sorry to hear you have had a terrible experience, from my experience it really comes down to who you talk to at Samsung front-end customer care team & who inspects your handset (I realise it should not be like that, but unfortunately it is). My only advice is to do an official complaint as I did & whilst you have probably already paid the £99, they may look into it further & may even reimburse you. I found my experience with the front-line customer care pretty terrible however as stated in my original post The Presidential Escalations Team were absolutely fantastic in sorting out my issue / complaint. As you have stated these handsets are not certainly not cheap & if the fault is a genuine fault related to the folding section of the handset, it should be covered under their warranty.  Although my partners handset was eventually repaired free of charge under warranty, I doubt we would buy another fold device as they do not seem robust enough imo.  Good luck if you do decide to escalate a complaint 😉

0 Likes