Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Google Pay on Samsung Galaxy Z Flip

(Topic created on: 16-02-2020 02:36 PM)
ianwelles
Explorer
Options

Where is the NFC chip located? 

Can it be activated while the phone is closed? 

How? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ianwelles
Explorer
Options

I am just here talking to myself.  Anyway, Google Pay works perfectly once you have have the method correct.

With the phone closed:

1. Double tap the smal screen so it turns on.
  2. Tap the back of the phone to the contactless reader.  It works well even if you just come near the reader.  The back is the side of the phone without the camera and small screen.
  3. Payment is done.

View solution in context

15 REPLIES 15
ianwelles
Explorer
Options

I had it work one time closed but haven't been able to repeat it. It would be great to pay with the phone closed. 

Samsung Pay is not a solution since my bank does not support it. 

Update:  I have seen in the tear down videos online that the boards and chips are all in the top half of the top half.  So that is one question answered. Now I need to figure out how to activate Google pay wih the phone closed.

0 Likes
ianwelles
Explorer
Options
I've tried several times at shops and the tube and failed very embarrassingly. Causing queues of impatient Londoners behind me.

Today I downloaded an NFC reader app to test how this works. My earlier guess that the NFC was in the top half was wrong. It is more or less in the middle of the bottom half.

Next time I go out for a shop, I will test this out. Then will finally move on to paying with the phone closed. If that is possible.
Solution
ianwelles
Explorer
Options

I am just here talking to myself.  Anyway, Google Pay works perfectly once you have have the method correct.

With the phone closed:

1. Double tap the smal screen so it turns on.
  2. Tap the back of the phone to the contactless reader.  It works well even if you just come near the reader.  The back is the side of the phone without the camera and small screen.
  3. Payment is done.
AntS
Options

@ianwelles wrote:

talking to myself. 

I do that a lot. 

Joking aside, some good exploring work there, @ianwelles  -  and thanks for sharing too! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

And, figuring out how to get Google Pay to work aside, how's the Z Flip experience for you so far?

0 Likes
ianwelles
Explorer
Options

The phone is great.  It is a perfect solution to having a big phone, which I love, while being able to pocket it easily.  

I no longer have a phone sticking out the side of my pocket when I sit down or cutting into my groin when I walk up stairs or need to kneel down for something.

I am hopeful more apps start to work with the phone folded - whatsapp and zoom are the two I really need.  Duo is good, but literally no one I know uses it, so it isn't a good video call solution yet.

AntS
Options

Cool! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Bigger screens are good, but have to admit, the ever increasing size of smartphones was one of the reasons behind my own reluctance to upgrade over recent years - for pretty much the reasons you said there. :thinking-face: (I have a habit of breaking stuff.) Foldables appear to be a perfect solution.

Hopeful that more apps use and exploit the fold form too - especially as a few manufacturers appear to be wanting bring all kinds of foldable smartphones out. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Rchybicki
Student
Options

Hmm it seems strange that it would work without unlocking the phone first, since that is a requirement for Google pay on other phones. Will try also though 🙂

0 Likes
ianwelles
Explorer
Options

I have been using Google Pay since I had the S8 plus.  With that phone, my S10e, and now the Z Flip, the only requirement to make payments is that the screen is activated.  I have never had to fully unlock the phone to pay.  Maybe this is a UK specific feature since our contactless payments are limited to £30 or less.

Rchybicki
Student
Options

I did not know that! In Poland the limit is even lower than £30 for pinless payment, but there is no limit on the amount itself, you just have to put your pin in. So what they did it seems, is that you can not unlock under the limit, but you need to unlock + pin over the limit, so when I saw that unlock requirement at some point (years ago! S6 edge!) I assumed that it's required and never tried again! 🙂

I did confirm your method of payment on the z flip, it works! I will see what happens above the limit, maybe they were smart enough to allow waking up the phone folded with the power button, that way it can read the fingerprint too potentially.

0 Likes