Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi turning off by itself

(Topic created on: 24-12-2019 02:53 PM)
cinnamon009
Student
Options

Hi, I have an issue with my S9+ where the wifi keeps turning itself off. If I don't notice then I don't remember to turn it back on and I have used all my data this month now due to this problem. I have checked all my settings and nothing jumps out as being incorrect. The setting which turned it off whilst asleep is no longer there. I have it set to turn on automatically for frequently used wifi so it should connect anyway but it isn't. Any clues? 

40 REPLIES 40
Mo32
Apprentice
Options

I'll try a factory reset now and see where that gets me. If I do factory reset the phone, will I be able to get the information I have now back if I back it up?

0 Likes
AsadM
Options
No worries. If you backup your data, you'll be able to restore it after you reset your phone. You can backup using Smart Switch. Information on Smart Switch can be found here: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/switching/
0 Likes
Jamezfre
First Poster
Options

Go to Advance in WIFI settings and turn off the "Turn on wifi automatically"  its supposed to learn where you use wifi, but it may to be turning it on/off correctly. 

0 Likes
Mo32
Apprentice
Options

It was already off when I was messing around in my settings trying to figure this out, but thank you. I dropped it off at the Samsung repair store near me a couple of days ago so when they've fixed it and told me what was wrong, then I'll post another comment to help others out. 

0 Likes
Mo32
Apprentice
Options
I dropped my phone off at a Samsung Support Centre and got it fixed. They said that the motherboard was broken and it was fixed free of charge since I was still within the 2-year warranty. I don't know if you've already fixed your phone, but I hope this helps someone!
0 Likes
scorps09
First Poster
Options

@Mo32 wrote:
I dropped my phone off at a Samsung Support Centre and got it fixed. They said that the motherboard was broken and it was fixed free of charge since I was still within the 2-year warranty. I don't know if you've already fixed your phone, but I hope this helps someone!

Hi all. I have noticed that problem recently as well. I have tried reducing the battery optimization, and other suggestions mentioned here. To no avail. I guess I will have to go to a Samsung cupport centre for this then.

SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
It's best if you get it inspected by an engineer if you've tried all the steps mentioned here, @scorps09.

0 Likes
MMP3823
First Poster
Options
My wife's and my S9s started doing the same thing last week. The wifi will shut itself off without us knowing it. We have checked all the settings and do not have wi-fi power saving mode enabled. Seems like there was a system issue with the last update. Very frustrating as I don't have unlimited mobile data and so use the wi-fi frequently
0 Likes
Jimbacca
Student
Options

Possible fix. So far I was able to get this issue fixed and a couple other wifi issues fixed on my samsung Galaxy S9+. I called my carrier Xfinity Mobile and they had to connect me to their tier 2 tech support. The person ended up calling Samsung tech support and Samsung sent me a repair ticket to get a "software reflash" on my phone at any Samsung authorized dealer. Xfinity tech support listed a couple in my area but the closest to me was called ubreakifix. I went in it took about a half hour and didn't cost me anything. A software reflash just reinstalls the Samsung security updates on your device that I get about every month. It doesnt wipe your phone or any data, it just reinstalls the security updates. After the reflash I have had no issues with my wifi turning off and connecting to any wifi hotspots. If that changes I will update here. Hope this helps others.

Reubz
Apprentice
Options

So I have the brand new galaxy s20 Ultra and this has been happening to me as well. But not only that, one of my contacts keeps being deleted and its the same contact. Happenenes on my s10+ as well