Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Quick Handover

(Topic created on: 21-01-2021 07:57 AM)
Flip3
First Poster
Options

I have a WiFi router and two WiFi extenders in my house.

Each has its own unique name.

When I move around in the house, I would like my Samsung S9 android phone to automatically connect to the strongest WiFi signal.

This currently does not happen if the weak signal is still (slightly) present, even when there is a strong signal that could have been used.

I understand that one wants to prevent a ping-pong between WiFi signals and therefore there should be a threshold. For instance the switch over should only happens once the signal strength of the weak signal falls below (say) 30% of that of the strong signal.

It is very irritating to get poor internet performance until one manually connects to the strong signal.

I strongly suggest that Samsung develop such a feature.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I understand your comments but there will always be delays at the PC end. The problem with different SSIDs is that the phone only has one SSID where it is connected and will hold onto that connection until the signal disappears.

I have a large house and WiFi from the router loses connection in different parts of the house. I use a BT Smart Hub with 3 WiFi extenders all with the same SSID and it works seamlessly. I used a WiFi scanner from Play store to ensure I selected interference free channels for both frequencies.

View solution in context

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
When you log on to WiFi there is a delay because phone has to find the network then password has to be checked before connecting. As you have separate SSIDs you will experience a delay while the login process happens. I suspect using the same SSID as your router will fix this.
0 Likes
Flip3
First Poster
Options

I understand your reply. I do not want to use the same SSIDs because it causes interference in areas where the signals overlap.

The reason I am communicating with you is that I want you to submit a suggestion to Samsung for a new feature for future phone development to eliminate/shorten the delay for the phone to find the network and password before connecting. Also the handover must happen before the previous Wi-Fi signal completely falls away.

0 Likes
Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I understand your comments but there will always be delays at the PC end. The problem with different SSIDs is that the phone only has one SSID where it is connected and will hold onto that connection until the signal disappears.

I have a large house and WiFi from the router loses connection in different parts of the house. I use a BT Smart Hub with 3 WiFi extenders all with the same SSID and it works seamlessly. I used a WiFi scanner from Play store to ensure I selected interference free channels for both frequencies.
0 Likes