Original topic:

Volume Key not working on Lock Screen

(Topic created on: 28/02/19 21:08)
HLBB
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi Everyone,

Just got my S9+ and it seems to have a lot of problems around the Lock Screen (including not waking up for new notifications). 

Another thing that's a real problem is that I can't control the volume while on Lock Screen. Wheter the screen is off or whether I wake up the screen, pressing the volume keys up or down has no effect. 

How can we fix this bug? 

Thanks! 

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
SjorsK
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Did you try updating and restarting your phone afterwards? That might solve the issues :smiling-face:
0 Likes
HLBB
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Not sure to follow... But yes my phone is fully updated and I reboot it regularly after new app installations. So yes and yes! Since I got it a week ago, this unfortunate behavior has been consistent.

0 Likes
SjorsK
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Strange, do you by a chance use a third party launcher or lock screen app? (Or another app that affects audio behaviour). If yes I would recommend uninstalling that app.
0 Likes
HLBB
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

So I actually thought about installing NOVA, but I thought I was going to give Samsung UX a chance first lol. So honestly it's "Samsung stock" at this point. Same for audio, I don't have anything special installed. 

It's almost as if the volume up and down were disabled when on lock screen. Even the Bixby button that I just remapped triggers a little notification telling me that "Bixby voice is not yet set up".

0 Likes
SjorsK
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
What app do you use for the remapping if I might ask? That might probably be related.
0 Likes
HLBB
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

It's called Bixbi Button Remapper bxActions, but 100% not related. Behavior was present before I installed this app. 

0 Likes
HLBB
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Interestingly I just realized last night that the volume key works when on lock screen when connected to a bluetooth speaker. 

However, it still doesn't do anything in all other circumstances. Does anyone else have any idea how to fix this bug?

TY!

0 Likes
HLBB
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Anyone? 

0 Likes
CA_Bob
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Try this: Go to Settings > Sounds and Vibrations > Use Volume keys for media.  Turn ON this option.

I have no idea why Samsung made the default to turn off this option.

0 Likes
KevenAyoub
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I used the app Sideactions from the play store to change the button behavior in the lock screen. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.sidekeybuttonremap&hl=en_CA

0 Likes