Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Sync Samsung Calendar with Outlook calendars on S9?

(Topic created on: 01/04/18 09:01)
Andrew12
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

The Samsung Calendar app looks much better than the calendar in the Outlook app, but I cannot sync my Office 365 Outlook calendars with it. I've added an Microsoft Exchange account to the Samsung app, but that did not add the separate calendars of which I have about 5 or 6. I add all my appointments etc to Outlook on my iPad or laptop, but it would be mighty helpful to see them on the Samsung app too. Any tips for how to get this to work? Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution
Jaico_Garcia
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hello,

I just figured this out as I work in a telecom shop on the Isle of Man. A customer had the same issue and I'd like to share to make it easy for everyone.

This is a 9 Step Process and it's as follows:-

• Sign into Outlook on outlook.com, on a computer preferably
  • Once signed in, click the grid icon on the top left and then Calendar
  • On the bottom left click tasks (square with a tick)
  • On the top right click the cog icon and then options.
  • On the left hand side there's a list, click calendar again -> shared calendars -> calendar publishing
  • 'Show availability, titles and locations' there's a create button underneath
  • right click on the .ics link and copy shortcut
  • paste and email it to yourself
  • on your phone, click on the link, it will give you two options 'calendar' or 'download' choose download and once download is finished open the file with the built in calendar app on your phone, this will then import your Outlook Calendar to your built-in Calendar.

View solution in context

Solution
Cage
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hey all, just fixed this on my Dad's new S9 phone.

The issue is perhaps caused by 1 of 2 things. 

Firstly the default "Email" app is what dictating permission and sync settings of Calendar apps. When adding the Outlook.com account to the email app you get directed to install the outlook app however calendar settings are still set on the email app.

Firstly check the email app permissions, ensure storage is enabled.

second go in to email app, select the outlook account settings, calendar sync setting and change from 6 months to always keep sync'd. All calendar events should now appear after a fresh sync in any calendar app.

If that still does not work then go to the inbox of the email app and the email that directed you to install the outlook app should have a link allow 3rd party apps for email. Emails will now appear in the Email app, confirm if calenar items are now showing.

View solution in context

Go to solution
67 REPLIES 67
JMN1
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

After spending over 3 hours this morning on Samsung Live Chat and phone tech support, the technicians could not sync my Outlook calendar with the S10 phone Calendar. One technician actually had the nerve to tell me that I must not have any content in my Outlook calendar otherwise it would have transfered. I just finished following your steps and I now have the Outlook calendar data on my Phone - finally. Thanks so much. I actually informed Samsung today that i was returning my phone - I still may do so beause of the very poor support.

0 Likes
EdGunn
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Thanks. However would I then be able to add events to my outlook calendar using the Samsung calendar. My wife and I share an outlook calendar and previous phone have allowed us to use their native app which then synch with outlook so far this doesn't seem the case with Samsung.
0 Likes
crsvld
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

You can't.check out my post.it's a one way sync only ,outlook->Samsung and not the other way around .Makes it useless imo

0 Likes
HPC_GL
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This is easy to follow, and it works.  Be patient and follow the directions carefully.  I can't believe it worked.  I have been tryng to sync these calendars for months!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  Suzanne

0 Likes
Kathyf
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

this wouldn't work for me.  where do i find the file when in my calendar app?

0 Likes
DarylK
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Brilliant, although the screens have changed since your post, the concept is same.
Well done

0 Likes
Ohm
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Outlook and tasks have changed and this fix no longer works.  On the phone calendar there is no longer an option for Microsoft Exchange  when trying to Add New Account.  

0 Likes
Beershark
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Just added my Hotmail on the stock cal app on my S10+ and worked perfect.
0 Likes
-METATRON-
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Did you download the Samsung email app?

0 Likes
Beershark
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
The app is already preinstalled, but adding my hotmail added it to the Samsung email app.

As I said on a previous post, I then disabled email and contacts sync (as I use Outlook as a preferred email client) and allowed the Samsung email app to sync.

Absolute pain,but if you want to use the default calendar app with Hotmail then that's an option until Microsoft enable Outlook to sync with the default cal
0 Likes
-METATRON-
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Sorry was talking to ohm

0 Likes
Ohm
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

My thanks for your replies. Yes it worked.

I added my outlook email to the Samsung email app as you suggested.  It kicked off the Microsoft Exchange programme that automatically updated my outlook callendar onto the Samsung phone callendar.   Pity it needs all this but once again my thanks especially as neither Microsoft or Samsung had been able to help.

0 Likes
AnnaMarieWarren
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

First off, my Samsung Calendar on my Galaxy S9+ is syncing with my Google Calendar perfectly.

What I want to do is sync my Samsun Calendar (in my phone) to the Outlook calendar on my laptop. I followed your instructions above but, I kept getting a failure message once I chose the DOWNLOAD option (in my phone) . So, now what?  Please help.

Thank you,

Anna Marie Warren

@Jaico_Garcia wrote:

Hello,

I just figured this out as I work in a telecom shop on the Isle of Man. A customer had the same issue and I'd like to share to make it easy for everyone.

• On the left hand side there's a list, click calendar again -> shared calendars -> calendar publishing
  • on your phone, click on the link, it will give you two options 'calendar' or 'download' choose download and once download is finished open the file with the built in calendar app on your phone, this will then import your Outlook Calendar to your built-in Calendar.

0 Likes
Ohm
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Hi AnnaMarie
Microsoft have changed Outlook so the fix given by the person in the Isle of Man doesn't work now. The fix that does work is given by Beershark on 28th May 2019. I followed his instructions and it works perfectly. 
Open the pre installed Samsung email app on your phone and add your Outlook Account. This will kick off the Microsoft Exchange automatically - that is needed to keep Outlook Calendar syncd. Good luck.
MarkQ
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

do not import an ics from your calendar because all it does is add the events, it doesn't synch and when you get the synch working again, you'll have duplicte events.

To get synch working again, open Settings/Apps and email

tap Storage and Clear data

You can now add your account/s agian and set the synch setting to how you like them

0 Likes
MarkQ
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@Jaico_Garcia wrote:

Hello,

this is what you should not do

0 Likes
Asmundur
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
But if u have a diffrent host in outlook?

My e-mail in outlook does not end as; xxxx@outlook.com
0 Likes
waaldeex
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Thanks! This worked and was so easy!
I logged into Outlook via a web browser on a tablet and it still worked!
Menoze
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I've attempted the method, but when I download the file ics file on my phone & open it up, I get a "describe error" problem. I did sync the outlook account through samsung email, but this is only for outlook -> samsung calendar and not vice versa.

0 Likes
crsvld
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Synchronising Outlook Calendar with Samsung Galaxy S9+ I had the same issue. I solved it easily by installing the Samsung Email app and then adding my Live.com Account. It asks for permission to read calendar and the it populates the Samsung Calendar app too

Beershark
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Pretty much what I have done but then you have two email clients.... Samsung and Outlook... Double battery and double data.. Also, as Outlook syncs contacts duplicates in Contacts.

I did have the Samsung mail app running just for calendar but changed all the settings in the app to sync the very minimum of data, just headers, no attachments etc.

Works for me but still a silly workaround.