Did you mean: 

Original topic:

SD CARD ERROR ON S9+

(Topic created on: 01/05/19 20:29)
Gav4b
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Is any one else having SD card error on the S9 or S9+ I have a 128gb sandisk and 128gb Samsung and both I have the same issue it starts happening when I used the camera I get a message saying it detected an SD card and is now using it for storage or something along they lines now I have a rewrite issue it goes away if I restart my phone but it cames back again sometime laterScreenshot_20180317-072318_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20180316-110714_Camera.jpg

400 REPLIES 400
SctOsbrn
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I am having the same errors ... yesterday I stoped By spectrum got a new drive tray to hold both sim and sd. Just now got the error again. Phone has been restarted several time since yesterday but it took about 18 hrs to fail again....thinks I want a different phone.... been using Samsung for a long time.... 

0 Likes
SctOsbrn
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I am having the same errors ... yesterday I stoped By spectrum got a new drive tray to hold both sim and sd. Just now got the error again. Phone has been restarted several time since yesterday but it took about 18 hrs to fail again....thinks I want a different phone.... been using Samsung for a long time.... 

0 Likes
lar_kozz
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This error started happening to me after I updated to the latest version of Pie.

It started happening suddenly on a 64Gb SD card that I have already been using for half a year without issues.

I tried wiping cache, formatting, and all the suggestions on this forum but the problem is still here. Sometimes it looks as though as a fix has worked, but hours later it starts happening again.
I am so angry and disappointed that a new phone like this has so many bugs. 

Ms_Tony
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

It is unfortunate that it seems like any fix that anyone has gotten lucky enough to find typically only works on one to 2% of all affected phones. For the rest it temporarily fix is it weather for hours or sometimes days I've even heard a couple for weeks but unfortunately it doesn't work in the end. That would be why this thread has gone on as long as it has and unfortunately there's still no end in sight. Hopefully we eventually find something that works in Samsung doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it

0 Likes
RobNelson
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This is even happening on the new phones. I mean I guess Samsung's answer is to format the SD card which is what the error message says to do if it keeps happening, but I didn't want to go through the trouble of backing up my data. I came from the S7 to the S10 with the same SD card and it seems related to this issue because the same happened with my son's phone when he went from the S6 to the J Prime. 

Seems like the old phone's data is stored on the card and when putting it in the new phone, the new phone doesn't properly overwrite it. 

Did you try the wipe cache partition, Ms Tony?

0 Likes
Ms_Tony
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Yes I did. I'm on s9+ and have been having trouble with the sd cards since a few months after I put the first one in. I lost alot of photos of my parents (both deceased though got lucky have copies of some of them elsewhere but.not all) after they got moved to the sd card and a ton of pictures of my granddaughter because had them all going right to the card. 

I believe I have tried around 8-10 cards so far (most brand new couple from s7 or s7 edge)  I'm one of the ones who gets the stupid exclamation point in middle of grey in place of my pictures. One second you have adorible pics of a 3-6 month old and a fried rocking her as she fight sleeping, then go to show them to him and my daughter and nothing just alot of grey w/! In a circle. Check sd card and it says there isnt one in the phone. Try it in other device or reader either doesnt exist or corrupted or says info there but cant load it.(and if and when you're able just get the same grey screen) I no longer save my photos to an SD card from this phone at all same goes for files and anyting I'd like to keep that and I backup the entire phone to at least two places completely separate from each other before I even put a card in.

Shakes
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

It's as thought between massive quality control errors and apparently lying about SD card expansion functionality, Samsung is actively trying to push people to other devices. I own my own business and rely on my phone heavily. Not to mention, I take tons of photos. Are they trying to get people to switch to LG or dare I say, Apple????? So to summarize, 128GB class 10 Samsung SD cards (I tried 4 Samsung branded cards) and 128GB Sandisk (I tried 1 known working card) all have the same error within hours of use. This includes a clean format of the device to out-of-box experience AND format of the storage card within the device. I brought my S9+ to my local Samsung experience store at a Best Buy and they said the phone is fine and it must be all the cards I tried??? The ONLY card I was able to get working was my old Samsung Class 10 32GB that I used with my S7. Go figure. Maybe its a size limitation error? Either way, I regret getting rid of my Apple devices for myself and employees. 

RogueWolf33
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I actually reached out to Samsung regarding this issue. After 3 attempts I finally was able to get through and have my issue "Escalated". The end result is that they wanted me to ship them my phone for up to 2 weeks. When inquiring about what i was to do for communication during that time ( I do not have a land line, not many people do these days) I was given no other option. I tried to impress upon them that this was not a single device this was happening on. We are talking multiple devices and multiple cards in my own home! I did not find their solution acceptable. I even made mention of this thread. What are we up to, 38 pages now of people expressing concern about this issue? I may try to get back to Samsung in hopes I find someone a little more receptive. Or give Sprint a call to see what their stance is on this. Ultimately this has placed a seriously bad taste in my mouth for the Galaxy series phone. To make matters worse we now have an S10 user expressing the same concerns. This does not bode well!

marti875
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Yep, just purchased and S10 plus and the error has started to show up.  Found this thread looking for a solution.

Dogue999
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This thread is becoming longer than the wall of China, yet STILL no response, resolution or even acknowledgment from Samsung. Unfortunately this is typical of large conglomerate corporation's

Ms_Tony
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This Thread was the first time I'd ever posted anything on Samsung and that was my goodness over a year ago now actually got to be almost 14 15 months now. And it's been going continuously since then. There been people who contacted Samsung customer service directly attempting to get an answer brought their phones in and yeah just nothing seems to work.

Ms_Tony
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I came real close to purchasing an S10 or an S10 Plus I'm trading my Nyan when it was worth 550 or whatever and then that man if they haven't fixed the problem yet so I actually bought myself an unlocked x-23 that has 128gb and almost no pre-installed junk on it so I figure I can move anything I need to over to that one

RogueWolf33
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Marti,

Out of curiousity, what size is the SD Card you are using? 

Ms_Tony
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
I used different sizes 32 GB 64GB 128GB . Used several different brands Including buying several direct from Samsung (after 1st one went to grey with ! I didnt try another lol) by then I would reset gallery so pics went to phone memory and everything backed up just in case. I also purchased one off of Amazon that's comes with a guarantee if you lose the info they'll try and get it back for you and if they can't then they'll replace the card but yeah I never did stick that one into this phone. I'm use the same memory cards same size and brand in my cameras for the security system around the house and all of my other phones and my streaming media devices never had a problem with any of the others, just the ones I stuck in this phone
Craigas1974
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Funnily enough I never had this error until after latest pie update on s9+ everything was fine before that on 128gb card then after update keep getting this error.

0 Likes
Mulgogi
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Guys I was so happy that my phone hadn't acted up for so long...and I think fate caught up with it. 

Last night the phone itself acted up a lot, froze a couple of times ... and had to restart it. 

Well... now it says card is not inserted so I am so disappointed in Samsung I could cry.

I've lost a bit of data but thankfully nearly everything was saved on various places. 

I am so angry at Samsung that I have a fairly good phone, and I have to deal with this issue. This is not a cheap phone, but a fairly expensive one and I am so disappointed that I can't wait to have the opportunity to change to another one. 

0 Likes
derobr_75
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi all, been in the wind for a while, but still been watching this thread, obviously with no fixes.. 

I'm on my second S9 (after smashing my screen on the first),  it was replaced with a new model that I've had no problems with so far.. (I've now just jinxed myself) Still using a Samsung 64gb from my first S9 with no crashes/corruptions. Just bit the bullet and purchased a Sandisk 128gb upgrade, feel like there's too many fake Samsung cards out there.. Has anyone had any luck with cards above 64gb as I think there is a link/fault with bigger cards being read by Samsung phones? (seen this has already been suggested) Also, has anyone had any luck with sd cards being replaced? 

derobr_75
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Edit:: Why should we keep purchasing new sd cards every time??
Mulgogi
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I had a 128 gb ScanDisk card in my first s9+ bút I smashed the screen and got a replacement phone. I had the error message with the first phone but no real issues though. When I put the card into the replacement phone it was fine for a while but one day the whole phone froze which was unusual as it never happened. I had to power it off and restart it. When it started the error message came up and baaaammmmm next day it didn't recognize my card anymore. 

I changed it to a Samsung 64gb card a couple of days ago and no problems whatsoever yet. 

0 Likes
derobr_75
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Not looking foward to putting my Sandisk in my S9 now, will be honest, somehow I've never had the error messages but had my sd card corrupted and lost pics/vids etc.. No issues with my 64gb card, just the issue of filling it!!
Mulgogi
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
For me it was the opposite. I always got the error messages but not one file or pic was corrupted. Then one day it just some pics got corrupted and then they same evening the phone froze ....then the card was fried.
I am hoping with the Samsung 64gb card it won't happen again.
You should try it and see what happens. Other this strange error message and corrupting files/pictures it is still a spectacular phone though. It's a shame Samsung didn't address the problem.
0 Likes