Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

screen problem - washed out color and black crush grain with some horizontal faded lines

(Topic created on: 21-05-2020 11:48 AM)
guiribeiro
First Poster
Options

Samsung S9 started to have screen problems a few weeks ago, after doing several official updates. this happened just before the 2 year guarantee expired (coincidence?). because of the pandemic I couldnt go to the samsung store and action on the guarantee. have  factory reset, and clean up cache and still a problem. 

does anyone have a solution or faced the same problem?

thanks

0 Likes
46 REPLIES 46
Anuragsinghal
Journeyman
Options

I have got temporary fix on it and its working. Please message me if you want this fix.

0 Likes
MW36
First Poster
Options

Can you share here?

0 Likes
Anuragsinghal
Journeyman
Options

Hi MW36, Basically its a temporary fix.  Once your screen blacks out and have some green horizontal lines, lock the screen with power on button on right hand side. Then, double tap on the screen, it will resume display and unlock the screen by using small square icon on the bottom of screen. Dont use finger print option to unlock and instead type your pin on screen to unlock it. Try it and let me know. This is some software issue and is being faced by several S9 users at present with no resolution from Samsung...

AnotherUpsetS9Owner
First Poster
Options

Anuragsinghal's solution does seem to work well. It requires Always on and tapping to unlock.

Another extremely inconvenient solution I've found is turning off the phone and plugging into a powerful (2A+) power source and when the power icon appears, turn it back on.  

I'm guessing the phone taking over the screen for those displays isn't a coincidence.

It feels related to the power regulation to the display. Almost as if it's trying to trigger some screen saver or dimmed mode which washes everything out due to insufficient power. This may also be the reason the heat seems to impact it. I'm assuming the heat causes the phone to try and run cooler and lower display voltage.

Don't bother with PWM or any other display software. It just pushes the brightness up and tries to filter some yellow, but the issue still exists and colors are off.

So all in all it does seem to be hardware related but caused by software changes to how it powers the display. No support for over a year tells me that Samsung doesn't find it worth it to resolve the issue and expects us to just buy new phones.

Well, my next phone won't be a Samsung then.

Anuragsinghal
Journeyman
Options

I have visited Samsung Service center for this issue. They have informed that Display needs to be changed and will cost 150 USDs.....Not worth spending this much. Exploring if any other solution is available in local market.  Flagship phones having such issues. This is the reason why Samsung market share is fast declining.. No response from Samsung on this issue being faced by several people...

jotty
First Poster
Options
Searching for a solution to my intermittent green-fade screen problem and found this thread. Looks like I've joined the club :-} Thanks @Anuragsinghal for your tip which worked just now so, in the absence of a permanent fix from Samsung, gratefully received. Echoing previous sentiments!
Joe_D
First Poster
Options

Solution: enable always on display. 

So I've been having the same problem. It started probably about a month ago.

The screen either turns on totally fine, is black except for a white band at the top, has severe fading and flickering with horizontal lines, or turns on but with a blue-filter like effect. 

I noticed it will always turn on normally if the screen is powered on via not the buttons (If i push the screen, power, or bixby it will only occasionally turn on normally).

The charging indicator when plugged in, followed by the lower-screen press will always lead to normal operation of the screen. 

I also have not had an issue while receiving a phone call.

I decided, while it is a slightly obnoxious battery drain, if I enable always on display, because it is not the power buttons, it might work the same as when awakened via connecting the charging port.

It appears to have solved the problem (or at least enabled me to use the phone reliability). 

While not a total solve, and I don't know the long-term effects, this at least makes my phone usable.

Hope this helps

0 Likes