Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S9 - SM-G960F - Error after update

(Topic created on: 19-08-2022 01:15 AM)
Members_HtphuvW
First Poster
Options

Hello and .. HELP (bit long text but thought to give as much info I could right away)

I'm trying to help out with a phone that has gotten the fritz after it got an update.
The SO decided to update her phone (finaly) yeasterday to as I was out.

How ever when I got back into the house I got to hear some ill chosen words as it was something really wrong after the update.

1, Reboot took quite a long time and it feels sluggish
2, Did not recognize the SIM card
3, Error messages was popping  up as example,
"com.sec.phone has stopper", "IMS Service has stopped", "Phone has stopped" and so on.

So once the child was tucked down I went to work trying to figure out what it could be that was happening. But first and foremost we tried to backup it thru Smart Switch but this did not work with everything, how ever when running to take only Pictures, Sounds, Texts and Videos atleast that worked.
So out by the main machine I installed the drivers for the phone and went to town and tried several ways to get a complete backup done.

Smart Switch - everything but SMS, MMS works
Settings, Backup and accounts, Google Cloud - everything but SMS, MMS
Settings, Backup and accounts, Samsung Cloud - doesn't even start
Settings, Backup and accounts, Backup to USB - everything but SMS,MMS
Android SDK ADB - everything but SMS makes it crash
3rd party MyPhoneExplorer - everything but SMS, MMS works

What happens while it tries to backup SMS, MMS parts it sends up a message that com.android.phone crashes repeatedly
or it manages to get past but then at roughly 2-5% it flips out and goes to Smart Switch app.

These things happen in regular mode and in safe mode.

Attempted also to follow some guides to clear data and cache for these apps that was throwing out errors.
And also to wipe the cache thru the recovery mode option but did not help, was thinking on installing alternative recovery mode but from what I understand it then wipes the last things she wants to lose. Namely the SMS, MMS messages.

So have also tried to figure out which APKs it is that are troubling and tried to reinstall/update these but that did not help.

If there had not been any problem with them being lost I would instantly factory reset it, but right now.
Should I do that the SO would probably take my head off my shoulders.

So, any suggestion on how to manage to get the SMS/MMS messages out from the phone?

Information about the phone,
Samsung Galaxy S9 - SM-G690F
One UI-version, 2.0
Android-version, 10

Basic version, 4.9.118-17633310
#1 Mon Jan 13 10:38:42 KST 2020

Compilenr
QP1A.190711.020.G960FXXU7DTAA

Also tried some of the "secret codes" but most of them made either "IMS service" or "Phone" to crash.
Example code, *#*#7378423*#*#

Kind regards,
Håkan Halvarsson

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
Try REPAIR APPS from the hard reset screen. Also try clearing the cache partition from the same screen.
0 Likes
Members_HtphuvW
First Poster
Options

I take it then that the "hard reset" screen is within the Settings menu or is it something that should be located within the recovery mode screen?

0 Likes
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
Power off your phone, then simultaneously press and hold the VOLUME UP/BIXBY/POWER ON buttons until the device "kicks in" to the following screen. Scroll down, using the VOLUME DOWN button (VOLUME UP will scroll you back if you overshoot the recommendations I suggested), then press the POWER button to confirm your selection. Once you have done this, let the device do its "thing". Once each action is completed, your device will either REBOOT, or return to the screen in the attached photo. If it is the latter, then highlight the REBOOT SYSTEM NOW line, then press the power button to confirm this action. Let me know if this sorts your problem.20220820_092922_610_1660984206.jpg
Members_HtphuvW
First Poster
Options

Thank you for the suggestions, how ever for some odd reason this phone does not have the option for "repair apps".

Would perhaps a 3rd party application that use firmware as a sort of path for repai be viable path or is the risk of message damage high?

0 Likes
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
Not sure if a 3rd party app is the way to go. I'm assuming that you flushed the cache in that screen? Alternatively, from SETTINGS, see if you can reload the update, as it may have been incomplete or corrupted?
0 Likes
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
I just done a Google search, and found that if you download an app(?) called SMS Backup +, you can pull your messages from the phone to your computer. I'm not sure if you can copy them back once you have done a hard reset, or not, but at least you'll have saved these messages. Here is a screenshot of what I found...

UPDATE: this is a program for a pc. Here is a link to it... https://deciphertools.com/decipher-textmessage.htmlScreenshot_20220820-194831_Chrome_8410_1661021311.jpg
0 Likes