Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 update

(Topic created on: 02-03-2022 12:45 PM)
vicky42
Pioneer
Options
When is the software update for s9, the last one was nov, but i heard its supposed to be every 3 months
🤷‍♀️🤷♀️
0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21
RichHaynes
Explorer
Options
Hi Vicky. The S9 has been getting updates for the past 4 years and moved to a quarterly update cycle last year. Samsung have said they will support devices for a maximum of 4 years so that means the S9 is now past its End Of Life (released 16th March 2018). Some have reported an update in the past couple of weeks but as with all Androids, different carriers take different times to actually push it out. Whenever you get it, expect this to be the last update you will get for your S9. Sorry!
Issyf
Explorer
Options

Hi sorry to jump on but will I have to buy a newer phone now no more updates . I love my s9 plus . Will it be unsafe to use now ? 

vicky42
Pioneer
Options
Im wondering the same
Issyf
Explorer
Options
Ive had the march update, but wondering how long the phonev will be safe for
RichHaynes
Explorer
Options
Will it be unsafe? Technically yes because any security holes will no longer be patched which leaves you vulnerable. Practically I would say not for the time being. You would still need to be targeted by someone and unless you're on some hacker or state hit list then you should be OK. As the phone gets older and more and more vulnerabilities remain unpatched, your attack vector gets bigger and the risk increases. How much risk you're willing to take is a personal choice and you will have to weigh that up for yourself I'm afraid.
RichHaynes
Explorer
Options
There's no set time period that you will be safe for. A major vulnerability may be discovered tomorrow which leaves you very unsafe. On the flip side, it could take years for anything major to come along. Hackers hoard vulnerabilities (known as zero-day vulnerabilities) that they could use right now and it doesn't matter if you have the latest patch or not. The thing that will keep you safe right now is that you are unlikely to be a person of interest (unless you're a politician or an activist or maybe a celebrity).
RichHaynes
Explorer
Options
Hi Vicky. See my reply to Issyf for an answer to this.
0 Likes
Issyf
Explorer
Options
Thankyou for the reply. Samsung told me that knox keeps it safe but I'm going to look into getting a new phone st some point, but my s9 plus is powerful and I don't want to downgrade but the price of the new ones is too much at the moment I'm payg so limited funds.
RichHaynes
Explorer
Options
Hi Vicky. To follow up from my previous comment (and in case you haven't already heard), the S9 is now End Of Life meaning it will get no more updates. Check out this article for more detail: https://9to5google.com/2022/04/04/samsung-galaxy-s9-android-updates-drop-support/
0 Likes