Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S9 Text message ringtone

(Topic created on: 05/05/18 08:30)
Jarvo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I can’t seem to assign different tunes to individual Contacts messages anymore but still can with their Call ringtone. Am I doing something wrong, any help TIA.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

20180618_144823.jpg

That is what you should check your updates for messages in. You may have already had it and havent realised or its a steady roll out, I'm not sure. But the rest of my post should point you in the direction if the update is on your phone already. Screenshot_20180618-145306_Galaxy Apps.jpg

This is the latest version I have. If yours is the same you should be abke to asign notification tones to each thread. 

Regards Tango.

View solution in context

Solution
AndroidGuru
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

There is an another option if you dont have update for app yet. Download and install apk manually from Apkmirror. Just download the newest one and give it a try. It works for me on S7/S7 Edge, S8/S8+ and also S9/S9+. Let me know if it helps. Regards.

Edit: ON S8 4.4.30.5 works aswell.

View solution in context

453 REPLIES 453
Rose4uKY
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Is that in yopur contacts where it's back doesn't look like it? We should see ringtone vibration pattern and notification all 3.

0 Likes
Hat502
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@ITGreen wrote:

Yet another update and still waiting for this feature to be placed back in contacts? Please explain why it is taking so long to add it back? For all of those that have found work arounds I am truly happy for you, but what about those of us who don't want to add additional apps to their phones and give other companies/individuals access to tjeir personal and business text messages. Privacy in this day and age is hard to keep, yet I do not want to be the one to turn mine over willy nilly. In the future, I would suggest you all send a survey before you remove features from devices. Had I known this feature would be removed I would have never bought this phone. Please provide an update on when you will be adding this feature back, and "soon" is no longer an acceptable response. It has been way too long since your last "soon".

I completely agree!

0 Likes
FreddieDII
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Sorry, error in message
*No plans
0 Likes
WLRawls
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I don't want another app to add to the bloatware already on the phone. I want it to work the way the phone came when I bought it! 

VooDoo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

REALLY SAMSUNG?! REALLY!

I just picked up the Galaxy S9+ Unlocked and love the phone but then I go to do one of my favorite things and that is to set custom notification tones for specific contacts and it's missing..... gggggggrrrrrr... It's bad enough you keep removing the IR Blaster from these phones but now this. Either fix this with a software update and push it out or this phone is going back and I am changing brands to LG. I work in development and it makes no sense at all why such a simple feature would be removed or for that matter why it has yet to be fixed through an update. 

We all need this option put back in now

And no, don't tell us it will come back in the next Galaxy because that is not the answer either. Also, don't respond telling people to use 3rd party apps because your lack of detail. I just paid top $$$ for this phone and then you want to tell me and others to go use a 3rd party app because you guys screwed something up yet again? I don't think so. Not to mention I can't even beleive your telling people to do that considering any and all confidential information you may pass through SMS would be captured by those 3rd party developed apps. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb...

How many more pople have to complain about this to get you to take the hour to fix it? Every single time I give you another chance Samsung you do something stupid like this to drive me right back to a different vendor.

JUST fix the thing and push the update! :smileymad:

Petunia66
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Please Samsung, bring back Individual message tone. I was so excited to get a S9 and I was shocked you guys scratched this feature. Pleeeeease bring it back.

Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Well, had an update this morning. Still no change! 

Come on Samsung. This is getting rediculous!

Camgazz
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU GIVE US BACK OUR CONTACT TEXT TONE FEATURE IT IS A VERY HELPFUL FEATURE I CANT BELIEVE YOU DID AWAY WITH IT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GIVE IT BACK!!

Tearley7088
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Um yes . I just moved from LG G5 to S9 and I was surprised to see no custom text tones for contacts ... Only vibration patterns.. I need to be able to differentiate business or family texts from friends and groups... Ill be constantly checking my phone ... Seems like they must have forgotten this.  Surely can't be intentional. 

VooDoo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Samsung this is not going away. We want the software feature back ASAP. Notice I said software meaning that we know you can fix it.
hollywoodfrodo
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Come on Samsung - since when did REMOVING a feature that no one was ever obligated to use if they didn't want to make sense?!?!?  Ridiculous - these are the reasons you can never become the Apple you wanna be!

VVolf10
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I guess I will jump on the hate train for this also.

Just upgraded to a S9 from a S6 Edge+ after almost 3 years and I cant believe that the ability to assign custom notifications to a contact is gone!!! That should be a basic feature in all phones at this point, so there is no excuse to not have it.

Samsung please include this feature in the next update!!

Really p*****d now since my ear is trained to know who is contacting me by their tone.

Elmsyboy
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Any update on this please Samsung???  For crying out loud please get it fixed

Swampy
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Wow, how sad. I could have kept my S8. The camera is nice and the speakers sound good, but I really can't believe we are unable to assign personalized text tones. And can you change the sound for other apps' notifications? This is asinine.

Also why can't you change the backgrounds on text app.

I do not like 3rd party apps. This is really stupid.

Joy18
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
I thought I was going crazy... glad to know I wan't alone. Samsung, this has received enough feedback to be taken seriously. Give us a status update on this please.
0 Likes
FreddieDII
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi, I dont get why Samsung took away good features from older models and didn't put them on new ones (S8 Oreo/S9..) The best way to set individual SMS tones is to install Textra SMS. (Set it as your default SMS) - This is fully customisable. For this and more useful tips and tech help, check out 'Jimmy is Promo' on YouTube. Hope this helps, Freddie

0 Likes
FreddieDII
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Hi, Samsung still have no plans to return this basic feature to us. So all I can say is use Textra for now (by far the best SMS app I have used) Samsung have to give in and sort it out eventually...Freddie
0 Likes
Mattlawson
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hey guys, I downloaded Textra and then set the notification file (a 3 second mp3) from a folder I have on my SD card. I then texted myself and get 3 seconds of silence. Do I need to add the mp3 file to a particular folder?? Cheers.

0 Likes
FreddieDII
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I also use Textra, I created a 'Media' folder  in internal storage with seperate sub folders for 'Notifications' & 'Ringtones'. This will then add to your default ringtones & notifications. I'm not sure about the 3 second delay mp3 file but any downloaded mp3's just copy or move to these folders.  I mainly used this method for message alerts as the Samsung default ones are just dull...fg

0 Likes
Eror
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I don't need another texting app.

the individual text notification will be back in the next update, The option was in CONTACTS APP and not in messages, 

CONTACTS people contacts, stop downloading text apps,

SAMSUNG NEEDS TO FIX WHAT WAS NOT BROKEN.

BRING BACK THE INDIVIDUAL TEXT OPTION TO CONTACTS.APP

Rose4uKY
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Anyone know when the next update will be? Will it be with the next security update or a newer version of Oreo update? I use textra but would rather use the regular Samsung one. I miss the bubbles at the top too for favorites.

0 Likes