Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

S9 Text message ringtone

(Topic created on: 03/05/18 18:12)
Jarvo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I can’t seem to assign different tunes to individual Contacts messages anymore but still can with their Call ringtone. Am I doing something wrong, any help TIA.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

20180618_144823.jpg

That is what you should check your updates for messages in. You may have already had it and havent realised or its a steady roll out, I'm not sure. But the rest of my post should point you in the direction if the update is on your phone already. Screenshot_20180618-145306_Galaxy Apps.jpg

This is the latest version I have. If yours is the same you should be abke to asign notification tones to each thread. 

Regards Tango.

View solution in context

Solution
AndroidGuru
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

There is an another option if you dont have update for app yet. Download and install apk manually from Apkmirror. Just download the newest one and give it a try. It works for me on S7/S7 Edge, S8/S8+ and also S9/S9+. Let me know if it helps. Regards.

Edit: ON S8 4.4.30.5 works aswell.

View solution in context

453 REPLIES 453
Paperdogs
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
I agree. No 3rd parties when it has already been a part of the Galaxy family. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to add back in. PLEASE!!!
VooDoo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

COME ON SAMSUNG! RESPOND!

Have you learned nothing yet through the years about listening to the customers? I work in technology and this is what? 5 lines of code! 

BRING IT BACK! 

It should never had been removed in the first place.

Johnsonsteph43
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Yes customizing text tones for individual contacts WAS SUPER IMPORTANT FOR ME NOW I CAN NOT TELL WHO IS TEXTING OR IF IT IS A EMAIL NOTIFICATION I HAVE TO ADMIT WHOEVER CREATED A NEW SOFTWARE FOR SAMSUNG S9 REALLY SCREWED UP 

Heidi2227
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
EVERYONE needs to email Officeofpresident@sea.samsung.com I did and they called me back twice times and said there wasnt enough complaints about it even said it was our carriers who caused the issue ...if more or more people email them maybe they will take note.
Pigitha
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Indeed. What a colossal copout!
0 Likes
bspoff
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I just got home with my $800 phone.  The FIRST thing I wanted to do was to set up my contact text and ringtones.  To find out that you cannot assign a text tone for individuals is UNACCEPTABLE!!!  I used this all the time with my Samsung S7Edge.  If this doesn't get fixed, I think I will return the phone.  This is VERY unimpressive!

jess1632
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

100% agree

0 Likes
Pigitha
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Return it quick. It's not coming back, ever. According to Samsung.
0 Likes
Johnsonsteph43
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
I definitely agree
0 Likes
Gietlt
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I agree.  Im tired of the 3rd party apps.  it seems like that is the solution for everything.  I have to use mighty text to get my text from samsung s9+ to samsung tablet.  I have enough apps.  I dont want anymore

Hat502
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@Gietltwrote:

I agree.  Im tired of the 3rd party apps.  it seems like that is the solution for everything.  I have to use mighty text to get my text from samsung s9+ to samsung tablet.  I have enough apps.  I dont want anymore

Samsung has been my go to until now. It was a phone I could use for professional purposes, as well as personal. Much of this was made possible by way of being able to customize in a way that I could differentiate between the two without missing a beat. It's no longer that way. It seems Samsung is not interested in the professional users any longer. Focus is clearly on personal,  and for the very young. 

Given that I need and want to only carry one phone for both purposes and Samsung no longer make that possible, I am looking into other phones. 

mrskatyoung
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@SachikoT wrote:

Thank you for getting in touch. Your feedback is really important to us and helps us drive improvements in our products. We can confirm that the ability to customise text tones to a specific contact is no longer available in the native Message application on our devices running Oreo. This has been a design change in this version of Samsung Experience 9.0 (aka Samsung's release of Oreo). 

We can see from this thread how important this is to you to make the most out of the Samsung in your life and have passed this suggestion on as an improvement to this new iteration of the operating system. 

In the meantime, as a number of people have mentioned on this thread, there are a multitude of alternative third-party Messaging apps that can facilitate this functionality available on the Play Store. A few that I have tried out myself include Android Messages, Textra and QKSMS. 

- Sachiko - 

I don't see why we should have to download third part apps for such a basic function... I was one of A LOT of people in the beta programme who said how much this annoyed and how this would put people off but yet you still removed it. Be prepared to lose a lot of loyal people because of this. Myself included 

VooDoo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Exactly! We pay top $$$ for these Galaxy phones and to remove something so simple and worst yet, not listen and just push out an update to enable it again is just beyond crazy. "Oh thank you for paying top $$$ for our phone and if you want a custom notification for each contact, please use a 3rd party vendor" - Ah.... NO! FIX IT SAMSUNG!

Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Although I'm not supporting Samsung in this, they are only the phone manufacturer, however the software is Android so we really should be hasselling them too! Pincer movement required!

VooDoo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
But this is a Samsung problem, not an Android problem. Proven by the fact that this feature continues to work IF you want the risk of using a 3rd party app that chances are stores every single text you have. This is directly related to Samsung software.
mrskatyoung
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@Tangoman65 wrote:

Although I'm not supporting Samsung in this, they are only the phone manufacturer, however the software is Android so we really should be hasselling them too! Pincer movement required!

Unfortunately although I know your idea, samsung is the only provider to have done this in their oreo update. Although oreo is an update in itself, tech providers like LG, Samsung etc 'tweak' the updates themselves so they work with their phones etc. This is all on Samsung, no one else  

Jericho13
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thank you for getting back to the thread. I believe that we feel that these phones are too expensive to be told to find this option on a 3rd party app. My s7 was completely able to individualize tones without a problem. I find that being able to differentiate messages from friends and family adds to the comfort of having a smart phone. Loyal Samsung customers are feeling belittled that this problem has been voiced for some time and yet still ignored. Please fix this. Don't lose valuable customers. 

VVolf10
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@Jericho13 wrote:

Thank you for getting back to the thread. I believe that we feel that these phones are too expensive to be told to find this option on a 3rd party app. My s7 was completely able to individualize tones without a problem. I find that being able to differentiate messages from friends and family adds to the comfort of having a smart phone. Loyal Samsung customers are feeling belittled that this problem has been voiced for some time and yet still ignored. Please fix this. Don't lose valuable customers. 

Agree 100%

0 Likes
Arlette3
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi, I'm glad to have found this forum and topic. My S7 updated a couple of days ago and I am absolutely LIVID about losing the custom SMS feature. I'm am reading all the posts on this thread to see what is going on. I was just feeling so helpless that this big company couldn't care less about it's customer's needs, especially for a key feature. Like you, I need to know when family is texting me since there are special needs folks in my family. Breath, I have to tell myself. I was just SO UPSET!! Thanks for letting me vent.

Arlette

Eror
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Android messages does not have the option to do individual message tones,  on the previous Samsung phones the option is in the contact app, when u edit a contact you can assign a ring tone and a message tone

Bring it back samsung

AndroidGuru
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@Eror wrote:

Android messages does not have the option to do individual message tones,  on the previous Samsung phones the option is in the contact app, when u edit a contact you can assign a ring tone and a message tone

Bring it back samsung

Screenshot_20180620-091555_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20180620-091606_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20180620-091623_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20180620-091650_Settings.jpg

In updated Samsung Messages looks like this and for me it is kinda same like the option in Contacts before Oreo update.