Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

S9 Text message ringtone

(Topic created on: 02/05/18 13:17)
Jarvo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I can’t seem to assign different tunes to individual Contacts messages anymore but still can with their Call ringtone. Am I doing something wrong, any help TIA.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

20180618_144823.jpg

That is what you should check your updates for messages in. You may have already had it and havent realised or its a steady roll out, I'm not sure. But the rest of my post should point you in the direction if the update is on your phone already. Screenshot_20180618-145306_Galaxy Apps.jpg

This is the latest version I have. If yours is the same you should be abke to asign notification tones to each thread. 

Regards Tango.

View solution in context

Solution
AndroidGuru
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

There is an another option if you dont have update for app yet. Download and install apk manually from Apkmirror. Just download the newest one and give it a try. It works for me on S7/S7 Edge, S8/S8+ and also S9/S9+. Let me know if it helps. Regards.

Edit: ON S8 4.4.30.5 works aswell.

View solution in context

453 REPLIES 453
Dluv
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Until you delete that convo, then it will revert back to default. When in contacts you can preset the text tone and it will always be there even after you delete the text.
The old way was assigned to a person/phone number the new way its assigned to the convo.

0 Likes
Mattlawson
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
But why mess with your device to put the onus on the user to fix it. I'll tell you what, YOU pay to collect, fix and return my s9+. How's that????? And you can fix the thing that logs me randomly out my samsung account so many times I'm running out of passwords to use. Finger scanner moved to a ridiculous position. So, the original question......are YOU fixing my phone at your cost or do I have to use MY valuable time??
0 Likes
jess1632
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

lol, seems you have more problems than just your phone.  Call corporate if you're that upset about it. I'm sure you knew they moved the finger scanner before buying the new s9+..

If anything, move back to the s8+, I'm sure if you call corp or your carrier, they can transfer you back.

0 Likes
Mattlawson
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
I didn't list half the errors, ***** predictive text, apps crashing all the time, it's like a disaster. I purchased from a dept store who shrug their shoulders now they've got their money, so may as well try to get somewhere somehow. Support told me to put my sim in an iPhone to amend it because it was displaying my wrong number. S9 just smacks of incompetence. So yes, I have every right to be angry and if you're just after a cheap troll laugh then ***** off where you won't interfere with people trying to find answers........like jacking off to the Sears catalogue underwear section.
0 Likes
jess1632
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Correct.  I am in the same boat.

HOWEVER.. it doesn't mean we have to fight with eachother or spend time being mad about it online.  What good does that do ANYONE? 

Answer: it doesn't.  All it does is cost us time we will never get back being upset at NO ONE on the internet.. 

There is a solution for the mean time by doing it in each thread.  Until then, there is nothing else we can do but wait. 

Don't have to go offending and name calling.. and if that many things are wrong with it, than that is just your phone, bc mine and anyone else I know with the s9+ only have issues with asthetics like the text tone and chat bubbles etc.  They even moved the scheduled messages which was just a poor choice as well, but again, nothing we can do about it at the moment. 

0 Likes
Johnsonsteph43
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Does anyone know what app in the playstore to get for customizing text tones for individual contacts
0 Likes
mrskatyoung
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
I spent months on the beta programme and loads of us moaned about it. They basically ignored us. Don't hold your breath. There is a Google or Huawei with my name on it as soon as my contract ends. I won't stay samsung again.
Hat502
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@mrskatyoung wrote:
I spent months on the beta programme and loads of us moaned about it. They basically ignored us. Don't hold your breath. There is a Google or Huawei with my name on it as soon as my contract ends. I won't stay samsung again.

Agreed. Samsung could care less.. This is my last Samsung purchase. I already gave their appliances the boot after no response to issues there. Time to cut ties with them altogether and move onto a better phone with a line that is conducive for personal and business use. 

Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Carlh
Any update on the update...if you see what i mean. The number of people on this thread and others does show the amount of disappointment in this. And its not like we can take our phones back as we are under 12/24 or more contracts with them.
S9user1
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This has really been a huge inconvenience.. Even the J3 gar the ability to have different notification tones for everything except texts... so you could have a tone for all texts, and a much quieter tone for things like Facebook or your kids Instagram account.  This is now a huge inconvenience because I want to get notified on my Facebook but I dont want to pay attention while I am at work, but need my texts while I am at work.  On the s9, you only get to choose one notification tone.  Please advise when this is corrected.

S9user1
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Seriously, this was March when you wrote.... is there an update. This is frustrating to be missing this feature. My whole family has Samsungs... we regret those that have migrated to the s9 because of this.
AndroidGuru
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@S9user1 wrote:
Seriously, this was March when you wrote.... is there an update. This is frustrating to be missing this feature. My whole family has Samsungs... we regret those that have migrated to the s9 because of this.

Are you serious ? Do you realize you have just posted something which is already fixed and noticed right above your message? It seems like you are just a spammer....

0 Likes
nitras70
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

As of 2 updates ago, my s8 also lost the ability to have separate message tones for everyone and everything. I'm extremely unhappy about this. I have yet to get it figured out. I don't understand why they'd take it away just because a few people didn't use/care for it-leaving the option for others(like us)  to make their own decision would have been nice. 

Hat502
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@nitras70wrote:

As of 2 updates ago, my s8 also lost the ability to have separate message tones for everyone and everything. I'm extremely unhappy about this. I have yet to get it figured out. I don't understand why they'd take it away just because a few people didn't use/care for it-leaving the option for others(like us)  to make their own decision would have been nice. 

Samsung products have lost their favor with me. I'll be looking at other options next time. Not just with phones, but household appliances too.

They have been my preference for many years. But,  they've lost me now.

lifeiscrazy
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
So true, this is extremely upsetting. I won't buy myseld or any other family member another Samsung if they don't fix it soon. This fix/update is LONG OVERDUE!
wvskfl
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Ok, well I got tired of waiting. Missed all the x-mas price cuts so paid full price but went and bought an LG G7 thinq.

I have individual ringtones for each contact. Individual message tones for each contact. 9 colors of LED  for contacts. I can also do voice notification for caller ID and message ID without having to turn on all the other annoying voice stuff. I can also set up groups to have their own individual ringtones. All built in, no x-tra apps. So now LG - Lifes Good.

AND, the phone doesn't have a whole bunch of ca-r-apps I don't need.

bdlee
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Samsung, are you reading this? All of the unsatisfied customers? I am sure you are not. If you are, you don't care.  I DARE YOU, I DARE YOU to reply with something other than a bull*****t form letter about this fix coming soon but you don't know when.  Chicken ***** is what you are. You would rather loose customers by lying to them than by telling the truth and saving some face.  You would rather loose customers than <gasp!> solving the issue. Giving consumers what they want....what a novel idea!!

Heidi2227
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

And 5hey said it will be with the version 9 update hmmm Screenshot_20190116-170922_Settings.jpg

They said it will be the 9 update its not..LIES

0 Likes
WLRawls
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Great to hear my friend.  If you've been following the news,  these guys are losing business,  in particular, phone sales.  Hey,  Samsung,  you hear us?  We're not up talking for devices because you lie constantly.  You've been promising a fix for a simple problem for over a year.  Not hard.  It worked before.  You just don't want to serve your customers.  I personally, tell everyone to avoid anything carrying the Samsung name.  It seems to be working.  I've been reading you will also keep the next update on the operating system away from us as long as possible.  Way to go! Lie to us again!

0 Likes
BigBrad
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

My question is... is this a Samsung Problem or is this an Android problem?  The problem originates with the Contact files where the Personal Text message tone came from.  The "Fix" that everyone keeps harping about is totally useless to me since most of my messages are team/group oriented.  That, and occasionally, I delete the massive amount of text messages thus deleting their "Fix" of assigning tones to the message and NOT the individual.  

My only hope now it Android Pie.  So lets see if the android people have heard the complaints.  

0 Likes
WLRawls
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Don't hold your breath. They're already saying Samsung will hold the release until the last. This is a Samsung issue. Other phones have no issue with the sane messaging. Samsung is totally committed to ignoring legacy users. I own a Samsung TV (issues galore), a Samsung washer (they sent a freaking sticker took correct the exploding wash drums) and this crappy S8÷. After these die, there will NEVER be another Samsung product in this home. They've missed sales projections big time. Their lying customers (lack of) service could be a big part of that. I hope it continues to track
0 Likes