Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S9 Text message ringtone

(Topic created on: 18/04/18 19:33)
Jarvo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I can’t seem to assign different tunes to individual Contacts messages anymore but still can with their Call ringtone. Am I doing something wrong, any help TIA.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

20180618_144823.jpg

That is what you should check your updates for messages in. You may have already had it and havent realised or its a steady roll out, I'm not sure. But the rest of my post should point you in the direction if the update is on your phone already. Screenshot_20180618-145306_Galaxy Apps.jpg

This is the latest version I have. If yours is the same you should be abke to asign notification tones to each thread. 

Regards Tango.

View solution in context

Solution
AndroidGuru
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

There is an another option if you dont have update for app yet. Download and install apk manually from Apkmirror. Just download the newest one and give it a try. It works for me on S7/S7 Edge, S8/S8+ and also S9/S9+. Let me know if it helps. Regards.

Edit: ON S8 4.4.30.5 works aswell.

View solution in context

453 REPLIES 453
Swampy
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

It is updated. Check and see. You should have version 5.0.21.

You can now add an individual ring tone to a conversation thread and it assigns that to a contact. Pretty cool. 

0 Likes
Tedmavencamp
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

It only applies to that thread. Once it is deleted, tones for that contact go back to the default tone jntil you set a new one for that new thread.

0 Likes
FreddieDII
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
That is why I like Textra. I dont, however delete important or needed threads, in case I need them for reference. Once done, I delete them. I am mostly using Samsung now (mainly because of my Gear Frontier) I think is just a matter of finding which way works for you for now, until Samsung sort this issue out...
0 Likes
Swampy
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
It is updated. Check and see. You should have version 5.0.21.

You can now add an individual ring tone to a conversation thread and it assigns that to a contact. Pretty cool. 

0 Likes
Dluv
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Until you delete that convo, then you have to start all over when a new text comes in.

0 Likes
spinn360
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

S9+ from tmobile USA.  Yeah oh well.   I've gotten used to the third party messenger app mood messenger.  

0 Likes
AndroidGuru
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Guys open Messages, tap 3dots > Settings > About Messages > and there is also option to update the app.

If your carrier doesnt offer and update, you can safely download original updated app from HERE. (its original apks from Google) 

For S7 and S8, I have tested version 4.4.30.5, if the newest one wont work.

You can also send me pm, if you need more help.

Good luck.

0 Likes
gjbella
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This sucks! 
First thing I do with a new phone is set individual message notifications for my contact individuals  - please fix this ASAP!

Hat502
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@gjbellawrote:

This sucks! 
First thing I do with a new phone is set individual message notifications for my contact individuals  - please fix this ASAP!

Agreed. I also have discovered the alarm clock sound also can no longer be personalized either. 

gjbella
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

ugh!!! 
I was so excited to get this new phone - making my S7 seem acceptable again. blah 😞

0 Likes
spinn360
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@Hat502wrote:

@gjbellawrote:

This sucks! 

Agreed. I also have discovered the alarm clock sound also can no longer be personalized either. 

Actually you can still customize alarm clock sounds,  by default the Bixby Briefing is on, you have to select alarm sounds on then select the sound you want by tapping left of the on where it says"morning glory"  (the default sound when you turn on alarm sounds). 

Also I've been using Mood messenger,  others have been using textra, but these message apps  do allow custom message tones again.   Although it is *****ic that Samsung removed the feature.   Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
Hat502
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@spinn360wrote:

@Hat502wrote:

@gjbellawrote:

This sucks! 

Actually you can still customize alarm clock sounds,  by default the Bixby Briefing is on, you have to select alarm sounds on then select the sound you want by tapping left of the on where it says"morning glory"  (the default sound when you turn on alarm sounds). 

Also I've been using Mood messenger,  others have been using textra, but these message apps  do allow custom message tones again.   Although it is *****ic that Samsung removed the feature.   Hope this helps. 

Good to know on the alarm. I suspect the move to an app for text messaging with personalized alerts is the goal. The more apps you have the more memory use, the more battery drain, etc meaning we need more capacity sooner.

I'm hoping enough have complained that it will be part of a software update. If not,  I'll be looking at other options on my next upgrade. 

0 Likes
Pigitha
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
I loathe Bixby.
0 Likes
Nanette0707
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I just spoke to Samsung.  They said that they have contacted the software developer to include it in the next software update.  I have no answer on a time frame though. 

Vogal
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Yup, missed the ability to  assign different tunes to individual contacts messages as well.

I´d love to get the delivery report as just a visual notification in front of message too.

Eror
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

nothing has changed. *** *** ***

Bring back the individual text tones to the CONTACTS APP., it's been two years and still no change, Samsung Lied, it s**** that they told us that they were bringing back the individual contact text tones, but they din't do it, they just added to the messages app. so now we have to set up conversations and then set the tone. which means we are having a bunch on conversations and wen we delte them we have to set the tone again and again, and again, this s****.we need this back in contacts app not in messages, ***, android 8 s****, android 9 s****, android 10 s****.

0 Likes
Jayzi
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I'm the same, I dont like the fact I can't assign my own text tone from my music, it's really annoying, I didn't have this problem with my iPhone, I dont like tones that come with any mobile phone, I like my own music, usually have one for calls and one for texts, but it doesnt let me add my own songs, I hope they add this soon, this is my first samsung in 10 years, I've always had an iPhone and I decided to get the S9+ for a change, there is alot that needs to be fixed, plus my battery is already running down a little faster and I've only had it just over a month, also had to get a screen protector because the screen had a little scratch and I wasnt happy especially only having it a week, then the advertisements saying the screen is scratch proof, what a lie that was, I had my iPhone 6s for just over 2 years and didn't have a single scratch on the screen, I do like this phone, but it's not up to the standard I thought it would be, all these screen protectors and covers shouldn't be necessary, not for a phone that nearly costs £1,000, I expect shatter proof glass and a phone that won't get scratched at all. we need a new update soon, it is starting to lag a little, I dont understand why anroid doesnt send out updates to everyone at once, like iPhone does, it's rather annoying. 

Ggtc
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

It's not in the latest software update it's the same on my S8 since it updated to the latest software this needs to be brought back in I agree with you how do we complain and get this feature back onto the new software

JacobInDaHouse
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Same here.

Bianca_007
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Can u tell me one reason u need to change text ringtone ? I dont understand what it is good for :smileyfrustrated:

0 Likes
gjbella
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Preferred option - then have favourites with individual tones so we know when a text comes in, you know in advance who it is.  Or someone that is not a priority, no rush to get to the phone.