Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

S9 Text message ringtone

(Topic created on: 09/04/18 19:21)
Jarvo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I can’t seem to assign different tunes to individual Contacts messages anymore but still can with their Call ringtone. Am I doing something wrong, any help TIA.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

20180618_144823.jpg

That is what you should check your updates for messages in. You may have already had it and havent realised or its a steady roll out, I'm not sure. But the rest of my post should point you in the direction if the update is on your phone already. Screenshot_20180618-145306_Galaxy Apps.jpg

This is the latest version I have. If yours is the same you should be abke to asign notification tones to each thread. 

Regards Tango.

View solution in context

Solution
AndroidGuru
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

There is an another option if you dont have update for app yet. Download and install apk manually from Apkmirror. Just download the newest one and give it a try. It works for me on S7/S7 Edge, S8/S8+ and also S9/S9+. Let me know if it helps. Regards.

Edit: ON S8 4.4.30.5 works aswell.

View solution in context

453 REPLIES 453
cut
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

i would like to have seperate ringtone sms. not the same one for all notification. onejust for sms text

TerriHope
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Please bring back the notification option to have a different tone for contacts. I really miss that!

Ggtc
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Tjhis is becouse the new softwair updat has taken this out

As you can apreseat this Feature is very important as I have three propertys nad a car alarm system set up to send me SMS in the event the is an alarm trigered.

So you understand this is very important to me and lots of other users.

Samsung please bring it back.

Thanks Graham  

Samski25
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Same here, upgraded to the s9+ from the s7 edge  I can't believe you can't change the notification sound for different apps. This is totally crazy. 

Nanette0707
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Go to your text messages.  Click on the person you would like to assign a text tone to.  Click the 3 dots on the top right corner.  Click on notifications.  You can then change it.  You have to access it through your text message string, not in your contacts.

0 Likes
spinn360
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Seriously Samsung?  Why would you remove the individual contacts message tones?? That is how I know who is texting me without looking.

Please fix this!

Right now I am using a 3rd party app called CustomSMSTonesLite... and it sorta works, but not consitently.  Seriously Samsung, help!!!

Jarvo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Still no Message Tone ability after today's update. COME ON SAMSUNG😬😬

XFSPortfolio
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Use Next SMS by Handcent instead which allows this plus led colour, flashing speed and much more.
Jarvo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thanks for that looks like just what I wanted 👍

FreddieDII
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
...Try Textra SMS
FreddieDII
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
After contacting Samsung directly, I gave up and installed Textra SMS. Works fine and you can set it up the way you want. I also found a way to add your own SMS alerts as the Samsung default sounds are dull...
VegasPigMama
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thank you, I installed Textra also.  Gave up on waiting for Samsung.

0 Likes
Darrenryan
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Why has this feature been removed. S7 and S8 are able to assign an individual text tone to contacts.

Why on the superior S9 and S9+ has this been removed? Samsung taking a backwards step.

Secondly why has the feature to put a background on texts been removed?

I don't want a theme on my phone I just want to put a background on texts.

Phone got on early release and posted the question about tones on that day. Why are you not replying Samsung? Seriously thought you were better than that. Has Apple taken you over because they don't give a ***** about their customers also.

CarlH
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thanks for making us aware of this. We're also unable to find the background options for messages as well as individual tones to specific contacts in the menu. We've flagged this with our software experts to see whats going on (has it moved or simply been removed altogether). We'll let you know as soon as we can!

Darrenryan
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thank you

0 Likes
Darrenryan
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@CarlHwrote:

Thanks for making us aware of this. We're also unable to find the background options for messages as well as individual tones to specific contacts in the menu. We've flagged this with our software experts to see whats going on (has it moved or simply been removed altogether). We'll let you know as soon as we can!

Any update on this??

0 Likes
spinn360
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

After using several of these alternate message apps I am really liking the stock messenger less and less.  Currently I'm using an app called Mood messenger, but there is Textra, and a few others out there that allow us to individualize text tones again, as well as many more features.  I have a pop-up box for each message with quick replies setup (yes, no, ok) also I get little floating message icons similar to facebook messenger,  all while still being able to use the edge notification built into the s9+.

Seriously wish Samsung would consider an overhaul of the entire messenger setup.  Individual text notifications is a must, but I couldn't hardly tell which message was new from the old on the stock app.  They really just dropped the ball here with their messaging app.

Darrenryan
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@CarlHwrote:

Any update on this????

Another software update this morning and still no text tone feature or background feature.

Looking more and more at leaving Samsung

SachikoT
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thank you for getting in touch. Your feedback is really important to us and helps us drive improvements in our products. We can confirm that the ability to customise text tones to a specific contact is no longer available in the native Message application on our devices running Oreo. This has been a design change in this version of Samsung Experience 9.0 (aka Samsung's release of Oreo). 

We can see from this thread how important this is to you to make the most out of the Samsung in your life and have passed this suggestion on as an improvement to this new iteration of the operating system. 

In the meantime, as a number of people have mentioned on this thread, there are a multitude of alternative third-party Messaging apps that can facilitate this functionality available on the Play Store. A few that I have tried out myself include Android Messages, Textra and QKSMS. 

- Sachiko - 

Hat502
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@SachikoTwrote:

Thank you for getting in touch. Your feedback is really important to us and helps us drive improvements in our products. We can confirm that the ability to customise text tones to a specific contact is no longer available in the native Message application on our devices running Oreo. This has been a design change in this version of Samsung Experience 9.0 (aka Samsung's release of Oreo). 

We can see from this thread how important this is to you to make the most out of the Samsung in your life and have passed this suggestion on as an improvement to this new iteration of the operating system. 

In the meantime, as a number of people have mentioned on this thread, there are a multitude of alternative third-party Messaging apps that can facilitate this functionality available on the Play Store. A few that I have tried out myself include Android Messages, Textra and QKSMS. 

- Sachiko - 

I appreciate the response. However, I have no interest in using a third party. For the cost of the phone, it should have the basic standard features. Rather than utilizing a third party, i will be moving away from Samsung and investing in a phone that has the basics included. 

VegasPigMama
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Ditto! A very important basic function for people that received tons of text messages! A third party app recommendation is ridiculous!