Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S9+ Poor Battery Life

(Topic created on: 11/03/18 01:12)
Starion156
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Got my S9+ today and I can watch the percentage battery life drop as I setup the phone spent maybe half an hour on it in total and it was down to 80% and thats with bluetue turned off.   Just having the always on display on is enough to drop it a few percent over an hour.   Given the rate of drop can't see it lasting more than half a day on normal usage not sure you would get an hour if you did something really intensive such as watching a video.

Anyone else experiencing such a poor battery performance?

51 REPLIES 51
WayneA
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi there.

I recommend disabling location services from the pull down menu at the top and reducing the brightness as well as choosing a plain wallpaper instead of a dynamic one

Rickw
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Same!

Even in moderate power saver mode this morning, I used mine to check Facebook and Sky Sport app for about 20mins and was down from 100% to 91%.

That's also having all background apps shutdown etc via the optimizer.

Not looking good!

(Mines S9 not the +)

0 Likes
WayneA
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Do you think its relate to Android Oreo?

0 Likes
Rickw
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Possibly. I'm hoping there will be a software update once they realise what might be draining it? I've just switched from Apple after 10 years but been told by a lot of S8 users that their battery lasts much longer.
0 Likes
Theruss
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
I've just updated from oreo beta on S8 plus and the battery is amazing even compared to my iPhone 7 plus.
New phone, so may take a while to sort out.
0 Likes
MadMarshall88
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Identicle to me - horrendous battery life... 

Not sure what is going on, was told that the battery life on the s8 was good and the s9 would be at least equal to it. I have just moved from my iphone 6s apple device and my s9 battery life is much worse!! Took it off the charge at 6 am this morning and after checking a few messages at work (facebook, whatsapp, textra, bbc sport & news) and 1h 57 screen usage I am down to 38% at 3:40pm. No videos or anything, nothing intensive at all. Rang up samsung for support and they have told me to factory reset... Will see if this helps! 

If this doesn't help I am going to have to return it... such a shame because its such a georgous device and screen.

WQHD+ setting is only one I have changed, everything else is default, using auto brightness.

mines the s9 (not the + model)

0 Likes
Starion156
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I have not got my battery down to that sort of level but then again I have only used it for about half the time you have.  Let me know how you get on with the factory reset.  Still my 3 year old iphone 6 has a better battery life and I use that alot for work.  I am going to give support a call tomorrow so would be great to know if a factory reset has helped although can't imagine why it would.   I have just move across from an iphone as was expecting a similar battery performance from the limited hands on reviews, but it is not coming close.  Dread to think what the battery life will be after 12 months when you normally start to see a drop in performance.

0 Likes
Jusweb
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Same as mine. I was using the s7 and it lasted some much longer on similar settings
0 Likes
MadMarshall88
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Quick update: 

Samsung told me to factory reset, so I did. It made no difference over the next couple of days afterwards so I rang them back up and they offered a replacement phone. I said no and returned it for a full refund. Got myself an iPhone X instead. It really is such a shame! In hindsight it looks like the issue must be with the operating system - Oreo.

Various people have said that their battery life is much better since the recent update released, mine was a pre release model s9 (not the plus) and I just wasn’t patient enough for the patch. The s9 really is a georgeous phone! I’ve never experienced a screen like it! 

0 Likes
Starion156
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Well  I contacted Samsung and they exchanged the phone.  The battery life is much improved not sure if this is a result of the recent update or the new phone.  I still think it is excessive for a new phone.  Putting the phone into medium power saving mode does make a big difference.  May main observations so far when it comes to battery drain is that using the phone on the native screen resolution setting causes a big drain on the battery as other posted have said in this thread you can almost watch the battery percentage dropping just doing everyday tasks like browsing the Internet, checking emails or facebook.  This may display why the Samsung ship the phone on the FHD+ setting which is crazy why fit a phone with a screen resolution which the phone is not able to deliver without taking a big hit on battery life.  Would be interested to hear from S8 users as it is supposedly the same screen dose running at native resolution result in excessive battery drain?

The other thing which seems to drain the battery is the always on display,  one posted I said they changed the phone to 100% before going to bed and it would be at 85% when they got up and I can well believe this.  This facility should not be draining the battery in this way.

The phone is much better than it was but it is not in the same league as the battery life on an iphone X so I wouldn't blame any one from asking for a refund and getting the iphone instead.  The phone otherwise is great and other than the battery life I really like it.  The only other niggle for me is the intelligent id which as I wear glasses can be hit a miss and does not work at all in low light (iris scanner does not work with glasses) and the Samsung case I have whilst great is not designed to allow you to used the finger print scanner when you have opened so it can be a bit fiddly to unlock the phone without having to put your pass code or patten in.

0 Likes
Agarratt
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

My s9 (not plus) has been the same, although if I charge it overnight and take it off in the morning, I use it for 5 minutes  and it's pretty much down to 50% within 20 minutes. I dont have fb or any of those apps on my phone, most I have is spotify, and a few others, all optimised to 100%, I'm ready to take it back to optus because its frustrating have to charge my phone twice a day to keep it on. 

0 Likes
ToonTonic
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
All they ever say is "factory reset"....that after getting hold of all your details & your extended family details.

Waste of time speaking with them tbh.
Current Samsung Devices:
65 Q9FN Tv
Galaxy Tab S4
Galaxy S10+
Gear S3 Frontier
Galaxy S9+
Galaxy Tab A 10.1
R3 speakers
Samsung cooker, fridge, microwave, DW
So much Samsung, so many problems...I'll learn one day!
0 Likes
Dazz1
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Yes you are right thats all they say factory reset will solve everything. Ive been in that possition before and ended up with a phone that has been plaued with problems and been sent for repair on numerous times. Its a shame becuase it is a really good phone that i wanted.

Therefore when the phone started playing up this time i sent it back for my refund and going to stay with Sony phones from now on. They are the only phones i never had problems with.

0 Likes
grilo67
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi

You've got to remember that the battery is new. Let it drain a few times and I'm sure you'll start to see the diference after a few charging/ discharging cycles.

Aslam
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi

Even my s9 (not+) doesn't seem to have a good battery .

The battery drops so fast without doing any intensive job.

Nially
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

My friend with s9 has bad battery life aswell, I wonder if there is a bigger issue with battery life. My s9+ is ok but thought it be better even with the battery saving on it 

0 Likes
Cleggass6
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

My Battery does appear at first sight to drain, but then I consider what my battery was like on the iPhone 6s, in comparison I can go a full day with my S9+ and still be good to go until night compared to half a day with the IPhone. Maybe it is hit  and miss with the phones..........

0 Likes
Shemsureshot
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I stopped Google Play store from auto updating and prevented Google services from running in the back ground and that helped for me. I forgot to charge my s9 plus the other night and got over 38 hours of moderate use from it.

0 Likes
Bliti200
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
I had issues with the battery on my 9 plus for the first few days, however after a few full charging cycles thing got much better.
Coming from an iphone 7, my new galaxy s9 plus has fantastic battery life. I use my phone all day long as well as the evening and go to sleep with about 30-40% remaining.
I'm not a gamer, however I spend tons of time watching YouTube videos. In my opinion battery life is very good to great for my needs.
0 Likes
grilo67
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi,

Today I got an official update for my S9 btu.

0 Likes