Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S9 Plus Mobile HDR not enabled & Black crush

(Topic created on: 06-05-2018 12:49 PM)
Riyaz
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I've purchased the S9+ and received it on Friday (09/10/2018) as I've pre-ordered. I've noticed that HDR videos that I have on either the Micro SD card or copied to internal storage DO NOT playback the videos in HDR via the native video player. I have the S8 too and it is able to do so.

Obviously 3rd party apps like Youtube may need to release an update before HDR works there so that's understandable, but for the S9+ not to have this out of the box for the native video player is disappointing.

These clips are short 30 seconds recording on the Xbox One X and are full 4K HDR (Tomb Raider, Horizon 3 or Destinty 2 clips), and they play as they should on the S8 with 'HDR' showing when playing. However, on the S9+ it shows 'HDR' in bold near the title when the video plays, without the actual HDR enabled.

I've contacted Samsung, they've taken my details, serial number and IMEI number. They said they'll get back to me this week.

Just a heads up to everyone. I have the UK version, Exynos.

Riyaz

[Edit: 27/03/2018 - I do have colour grading issues, I was watching a HDR video at 1440p by Digital Foundry on YouTube and I can definitely see a sort of grainy presentation of dark and black areas of the screen. Black Crush is definitely present. Plenty of stuff on reddit and android central]

[Edit: I have chased Samsung and they called me back today (14/03/2018). They have escalated to their Product Support team as their Chat Team was unable to help and their other frontline support. They mentioned that they don't know when that team will get back to me as it's the first time anyone has raised it. I guess many people can't tell the difference and think HDR is working or it's actually working for them out of the box.]

102 REPLIES 102
Riyaz
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@s0nix wrote:

Yeah its a standart security patch. Nothing new in the patch notes.

I still hope Samsung is aware of that and will fix it.

The update hasn't fixed the black crush or the HDR playback issue.Screenshot_20180423-204056_Software update.jpg

Like you've mentioned.. just a security patch.

0 Likes
s0nix
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Today I went to my local electronics store to check out the S9 and S9+. The lighting was pretty dim so I was able to spot it. Both S9 and S9+ had exactly the same issue (crushed blacks). Then I compared with note8 and s8 and they didn't have the problem.
So basically the bottom line is that all the phones have this *****.

Of course they were display models which are a little different from retail but at least the screen should be the same? Because again neither note8 or s8 have it. 😃

0 Likes
zee54
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

A video on the issue of the black crush and smear issue:

https://youtu.be/GfBrXa2H8aw

zee54
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Just had this message from Samsung's UK Support's twitter account:

"We appreciate your patience. Samsung is aware of this symptom which may appear on some S9+ phones, and we've scheduled to release a new Software update to resolve this as soon as possible. Please keep an eye out for any updates to your S9+, we recommend keeping Auto Update turned on, so it installs as soon as it's available. ^JL"

Riyaz
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

New update hasn't done much. Check your home screen wallpaper. I haven't checked mine if it's made any difference.Screenshot_20180506-094039_Software update.jpg

Alexeev89
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Hi mate.i updated last night.nothibg changed in my opinion.same black crashed right down corner....amd many other crashed areas on different wallpapers.
0 Likes
YebemtiBOT
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I changed to iphone , the service of samsung is just bad .

0 Likes
SithLord
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@YebemtiBOT wrote:

I changed to iphone , the service of samsung is just bad .

Haha, good one.

0 Likes
Yaşar
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I have black crushing problem on my phone four times went to the service is no problem is given and given 😞 I can not watch video black pixels show pixels please correct the problem

0 Likes
SithLord
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

http_%2F%2Fi63.tinypic.com%2F4vph7t.jpg

http_%2F%2Fi66.tinypic.com%2F9jjgr7.jpg

How on earth is a 3 year old s6 working better with dark colours, than the S9+ "perfect display"

0 Likes