Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

S9 Plus crackling / stuttering audio

(Topic created on: 21-03-2018 11:44 AM)
Allegroman
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I got the S9 Plus on Friday (SM-G965F UK version) but there seems to be an issue with audio playback. In both Spotify and Google Play Music, when playing tracks there is occasional stuttering / stalling / crackling of the sound. It does this every so often and on the worst occasion the sound actually jammed on a particular tone for a good 2 seconds and then, when it unfroze, the playback sped up as if to make up for the lost seconds before resuming normally. I did the OTA firmware update that came out Saturday but it's made no difference.

Has anyone else experienced this?

30 REPLIES 30
Solution
AntS
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi @Allegroman. :robothappy:

Is the sound okay apart on those two apps? If so, have you had a check for updates to the affected apps, or cleared the data and cache from them through the Application Manager? Settings > Apps > All apps > (the relevant app) > Storage > Clear Cache, Clear Data.

View solution in context

Solution
Allegroman
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi @AntS

I found what the problem is and it's pretty much what you said about cached data.  When I got the S9+, I put my 128GB SD card in from my old phone, which had 4.5GB of downloaded Spotify playlists on it.  Spotify was actually re-using those files from the old phone.  I used the "Delete cache and saved data" option in Spotify settings to remove them, and re-downloaded the playlists I wanted, and now it's fine!  There must have been something it wasn't quite happy about with those files that was causing the whole phone to stall/stutter.  Before I deleted the files I'd found that closing Spotify allowed Play Music to play sound correctly, so just having Spotify in the background but not actually playing anything was causing stalling that was interfering with Play Music.  Play Music itself wasn't even using the SD card for its data, it was using internal storage.

Really pleased to have it sorted and working, as I'm loving the phone!

View solution in context

AntS
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Glad to hear! Great stuff @Allegroman! Thanks for getting back to us with that. :robothappy:

0 Likes
wadecb
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I'm glad you got yours resolved. I have the same problem and unfortunately mine is not resolved. I started this separate thread since this one is fixed.

I have cleared cache/data and check latest version of all relevant apps (Netflix, Youtube, Youtube TV, Amazon Video), but I still get the problem.

Possibly mine is a hardware issue just for my phone. I think I need to return my phone and ask for a replacement, unless anyone else has a better idea?

0 Likes
Allegroman
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Have you tried doing a factory data reset of the phone?  (Last resort only obviously, as it will wipe your apps and data!)

Do you have a micro SD card inserted?

0 Likes
wadecb
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I have not tried a factory reset yet. but that is a good suggestion because it is better than waiting for a replacement. I will try it tomorrow.

I am using a micro SD card. The same card was also used on my old S8+ but I have reformatted it after inserting in my S9+. Should I try without the SD card?

0 Likes
Allegroman
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Yes definitely worth trying without the SD card.  You never know what the OS might be doing with it in the background.

0 Likes
wadecb
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thanks I will try tomorrow and let you know

0 Likes
wadecb
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I have found that setting the Performance Mode to Entertainment helps a little bit. The video is no where near as smooth as my old S8+ and can still shakey, but it's a bit better

0 Likes