Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S9+ massive overheating and battery drain after OTA update G965FXXUHFVB4

(Topic created on: 29-08-2022 09:55 AM)
Isaac10
Apprentice
Options

Ever since my phone installed this OTA update 3 days ago, the battery drains constantly. Under battery I see "google play services" uses a lot of background battery.  When I tried using camera it even shut down because the device overheated. I've had this phone for a long time with never an issue  until this update. There were no falls or moisture since the update. I'm sure it's not a coincidence this happened right after the update.

Things I've tried to stop the battery drain that didn't cool off the device at all:

Turn on battery saver

turn on airplane mode and no wifi

uninstall google play services updates

Turned  off sync for all items on all google accounts.

booted to recovery and cleared cache partition.

booted to recovery and "repaired apps"

Even disabled Google play services completely

Installed a new APK of google play services 22.33.13 beta (released 26 august)

Is there a way to roll back the update without doing a factory reset and spending all day logging into all my accounts/ re-downloading my apps?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
yorkyuk81
Journeyman
Options
I've had exactly the same on my Samsung S9
yorkyuk81
Journeyman
Options
Have you had any feedback from Samsung on a fix?

I've just raised a case with them.
Isaac10
Apprentice
Options

I started with this thread.

Now I tried contacting samsung support. Per their website instructions I texted "SUPPORT" to 1-800-726-7864 

I gave a samsung tech remote control to my device. After an hour of him clicking around and running diagnostics, he said he tweaked some apps and said that might resolve the issue.

The phone is still on fire though.  He said they're aware of the issue and that there might be another OTA update in 3 days.

0 Likes
yorkyuk81
Journeyman
Options
Ok thanks for the update
0 Likes
Solution
Isaac10
Apprentice
Options

"Google play services" is no longer massively draining my battery after the last OTA update.  The power drain stopped after I deleted the app "airdroid" - Which is a remote control admin app/find my phone app.

If you're having overheating problems, I would first go to settings -> biomemtrics and security -> other security settings -> Device admin apps.   Then disable those device admin apps and completely delete them to be sure.  My theory is that the OTA update changed how device admin apps work and caused the infinite loop/battery drain.

Still my battery life seems a little worse than before the OTA update, but at least it's at a bearable level.

0 Likes
yorkyuk81
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for the update, I will give it a try. Samsung support have been useless and not able to help on this.
0 Likes
Isaac10
Apprentice
Options

Another theory is delete any apps that do a lot of background gps checks.

Airdroid was a "find my phone" type app so constantly using GPS. And patch G965FXXUHFVB4 said it changed gps somehow. So another theory is some apps aren't compatible with the new GPS code that was installed.

That being said, my phone is still warmer and worse battery life than before the patch. But at least it lasts hours now instead of minutes lol.

0 Likes
John Pal
First Poster
Options

If you're experiencing problems with overheating in your Galaxy S9 or S9+ device, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that the phone is not being used for too long.

2. Restart the phone and check if the problem still persists.

3. If the overheating issue persists even after restarting the device, then contact your nearest service center.

0 Likes
S9 pink
First Poster
Options

Hi. I have the s9 with pink back glass. I'm overheated crazy.  I've found the pod chargers work better.  Over $100 on other chargers. Ice bricks cool it down under a min.

0 Likes