Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Ridiculous One UI changes

(Topic created on: 15-03-2019 10:35 AM)
cannibalwombat
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I can't believe some of the ridiculous changes Samsung have made with the One UI update on the S9.

1. the recents menu - why don't I have the option for vertical list view any more? Why am I forced to use the awful iOS style horizontal scrolling? You can only see 1.5 apps at a time and end up having to scroll horizontally for ages to find an app you used a while ago! That's fine for people who like that, but why take away the option for small vertical scrolling tiles?

2. no more launching multi-screen by a press-and-hold on the recents button - why take away this option?! Now I have to go into the recents menu, press a small button on top of an app tile, select multi-window, then select the other app from the same stupid scrolling carousel! Why force me to go through 3 or 4 steps for something that used to happen with a tap and hold of one button? That's completely backwards - you're supposed to make things easier not harder!

3. no more switching top/bottom apps in multi window - why on earth would you remove this option? When you tap the central dividing line between the two windows, the options that used to appear (e.g. switch tiles, pop-out window etc) are no longer there. So I'm stuck in that view until I go to home? Again, ridiculous. Stop taking away options!

4. status bar clock now forced to appear in the top left - why?! I preferred it on the right with everything else. Why don't I have the option to move it back where I prefer it to be? I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but... STOP TAKING AWAY OPTIONS!

I really don't know what Samsung is thinking and hope they'll change things back to give us back options we had before and stop restricting us. I didn't buy an iPhone because I wanted more freedom, but the level of restriction is starting to feel very Apple-esque.

3 REPLIES 3
SjorsK
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
It's great to see feedback, it might however be important to recognize that some of the changes are made by Google though android pie
cannibalwombat
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I'm sure some are, I don't have a stock Android device to compare. But this is a heavily skinned version that came out a long time after Pie was first released. Samsung has a lot of control over features and aesthetics. I don't believe that they could not have maintained the options that are now missing. I just can't excuse changes that make things more difficult and restrictive, and at the end of the day, I'm using a Samsung device so I hold them responsible.

Galaxy123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
You can use the Good Locks app to bring back some of the lost features and more.
0 Likes