Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My s9 plus screen flickers

(Topic created on: 11-11-2019 07:32 AM)
Cruztech
Apprentice
Options

I've been using my s9 plus for past a year and it was all good so far .but now I'm started experiencing a problem with the screen. When I turn the screen off and turn on immediately, the display flickers and a color change is there and when I keep screen off for 5 sec or more and then turn on. My display is normal and when using,  there is no issue at all. The only issue is when screen off and turn on immediately..

Does anybody experienced this before ? Or am I the first to have this weird....

Feel like moving out of Samsung now 

178 REPLIES 178
YEL
First Poster
Options

This following solution seems to work for me now always:

1) Adaptive Brightness: turn OFF
2) Always on Display: turn ON
select "Home button and clock"
select "Tap to show"
3) Screen Timeout: select 10 minutes (do remember to turn off the screen if you are not going to use it for a while)
4) Whenever the screen is off, tap the screen first to show "Home button and clock" (2), and only then turn on the screen.

I have had this issue since February/March 2020; in the beginning, if I waited a few seconds before turning on again the screen, there would be no flickering. As time passed, it got worse, I would need to wait longer to turn on the screen without flickering. Lately it seemed to be behaving erratically, sometimes no matter how long I waited, the screen would still flicker. I also noticed 2-3 times that the screen would start flickering whenever the phone becomes too heated (e.g., in the middle of a long photo shooting session.) The solution above has been working fine for me now.

Alvers
Student
Options

i been use my phone like this since the issue started

0 Likes
MzFarhad
First Poster
Options

Has anyone tried flashing to an older version. If it is a software issue caused by an update then maybe running an older version can fix it.

0 Likes
Alexs9
First Poster
Options
I am still on android 8 and this problem started in July. I did not make any updates, it started on its own. I tried to flash 9 android, the problem persists. I rolled back to 8, the same ... this is nonsense (((only AOD helps. But I noticed such a thing that without AOD the screen no longer blinks, and does not even turn on. This is very strange ...
0 Likes
w5565768679
First Poster
Options

The issue persists after all their updates SINCE APRIL. I guess their explanation must be that all the Samsung models across the world burnt out at the same time because of some inter-galactic event. They messed it up and are not taking responsibility. 

I hope everyone reading this can spread the word and ensure they take a hit on their market share so that they learn basic customer ethics. I had been using their flagships for about 6 years now. 

Now, even the new one I got (M31) is bad. Why do they think we are stupid enough to treat us like this. If they wanted to sell more phones through this circus trick and feigned ignorance. they should not be. Only then will they wake up. 

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD IN ANYWAY YOU CAN. TALK TO YOUR JOURNO FRIENDS, SHARE SHARE SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA. 

Fasnashihas
First Poster
Options

I am also facing same issue. I tried every i saw here except hard rest .. no use..

Why samsung doing this to their flagship customers... authorised dealers told me to change the display... again pathetic samsung..

0 Likes
Bgoossens
First Poster
Options

Found this topic because I'm facing the same issue as described.

Nice to have the AOD workaround but that is not a fix.

Why I still think it is a software issue is that if it was pure hardware the AOD trick wouldn't work either.

I have been tinckering around with my S9+ for 2 days now:

- tried factory resets

- nand erase and repartioning

- even tried custom rom.

Only thing that didn't change was the bootloader part of all. This is blocked by Samsung. So there is no way to install a different one once you upgrade to the latest.

Why hasn't anyone checked if the problem could be in the bootloader part at Samsung?

Archit
First Poster
Options

Same issue with my S9+ as well, the screen flickers/ goes black after pressing power button. Tried all solutions like phone reset, cache wipe, etc. but nothing worked. AOD is just temporary solution. @samsung do something, and accept that your flagship phone s9+ is having defective hardware thats why so many users are facing same issues. 
@all, Can we register a case in consumer forum against these issues, any expertise on this ?

0 Likes
RoboS9
Journeyman
Options

Honestly, I think the only solution is a class action suit.

Members_keO4h1x
First Poster
Options

Very disappointed too. I'm facing that issue for months too on an S9 which I purchased about only 2 years ago.

The fact that there is no official communication and no care at all for customers is very unethical.

I use the always on work around after suffering a terrible data loss where safemode would launch with a dark screen and making me factory reset the phone without my knowledge and intention.

Car companies do recall their products, ethical companies provide solutions and service, but here I feel only that I'm forced to buy a new phone and I feel it will be an iPhone. Sad.

0 Likes