Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My s9 plus screen flickers

(Topic created on: 11-11-2019 07:32 AM)
Cruztech
Apprentice
Options

I've been using my s9 plus for past a year and it was all good so far .but now I'm started experiencing a problem with the screen. When I turn the screen off and turn on immediately, the display flickers and a color change is there and when I keep screen off for 5 sec or more and then turn on. My display is normal and when using,  there is no issue at all. The only issue is when screen off and turn on immediately..

Does anybody experienced this before ? Or am I the first to have this weird....

Feel like moving out of Samsung now 

178 REPLIES 178
Vinayparmar
Apprentice
Options
Same Issue, Did anyone find a solution?
I've read many articles related this and found that this is happening to many S9 and S9+ users recently.
0 Likes
Madhur
Student
Options
Same issue. The OLED Saver app seems to have solved the issue for now
0 Likes
theleapyes
First Poster
Options

I am from Bangalore, India and I have been using S9+ for nearly 2 years now without any issues, not a single fall or scratch, was in mint condition, till yesterday, when suddenly, out of the blue (or should I say green ! ), the screen started flickering and turned Green ! When I searched, I saw so many posts about this issue. I did the June 2020 update a week ago. The screen was fully green and I could not make out anything. 

I did a soft reset and using Google assistant voice command, I disabled Adaptive brightness, luckily it worked.

After that I set a certain brightness level and I am atleast able to use the phone for basic stuff like making and receiving calls and stuff. Not comfortable to see the screen at all and in this lockdown situation its proving difficult to get it diagnosed/repaired. 

Mintymint
First Poster
Options

Hello, I would like to add in some observations.

To start off, my phone is also suffering from the same/similar issue, wherein the screen flickers mostly black while the very top portion is like, semi-visible. This gets triggered usually when the phone screen is locked/unlocked rapidly using the power button, and resets back to normal after a few seconds of leaving the phone locked and the screen turned off. (note: it switches between green and black flickering occasionally.)

I noticed something strange after my phone booted up after it drained its battery. I could see the samsung logo and the password encryption+keyboard that appears after you boot up your phone after fully shutting it down, then the home screen loaded it loaded with the screen flicker. (which went back to normal after turning off the display for a few seconds.) ((also, I was unable to view the unlock animation that happens after you type in the password. I assume that the screen was already flickering by then?))

Does this mean that the issue is actually a software issue and not a hardware issue? If it was a hardware issue I would have expected that the black screen flicker would have affected the samsung logo during the booting up phase. (and I would have been unable to enter the password since the keyboard is at the very bottom of the screen, which would normally be covered by the black screen flicker.)

(also another observation: the black background during the samsung logo wasn't the usual black in when it booted up. it was 'brighter' and wasn't a true black? it was only noticable in the dark, though.)

Alvers
Student
Options

after few day, you will have issue on 90% of your screen. The black flickering will become totally black. There is a solution, is to turn on your AOD.  Active your screen AOD before unlock. Only AOD !!! (just partial of your screen light up) then will have the colour back. But this is not a long solution, your screen will get hot when AOD turn on for a long time.

0 Likes
ritik
First Poster
Options

i am also geting this problem since 3-4 weeks . its just working on low brightness . if many users are geting this problem than the problem would be from samsung . 

this all happned after the new update.

0 Likes
alpstraya
First Poster
Options

This worked! And highest brightness works as well. Hard to live with either though, one needs a balance between screen visibility and battery life :smiling-face:

0 Likes
ashisswain
Apprentice
Options

I am having the exact same issue since the MAY 2020 update. 

1. IF you do some activity for 15-20 mins (or more) and lock the phone and try to do some other activity immediately and unlock the phone then you will see flickering/black screen for 3-5 mins.

2. if your phone is hot by virtue of any activity and locked then unless it is cooled off, you wont be able to do any work on the phone.

This is becoming a major problem and sometimes not able to do very important tasks. e.g.

• i was outside and about to do a online payment and phone wont open for 5 mins. I cannot say people being in the queue in this corona situation to wait till by buggy phone responds.
  • For my office works i need phone to answer to some app notifications to get into some office services to carry on with my work but the buggy phone wont open to do the task and notification would expire.
  • There are umpteenth number of very important situations where the phone will not help you and you will be a matter of joke. 
  • What is the point of buying a premium phone with premium money if it does not do its job. I will never buy a samsung mobile again and make it a point to go to every forum and friends to tell how worst these samsung people are.
  • The same problem is happening to many many users and they are simply sitting over this issue and spending much of their time to increase their sale of phones.
  • They released a patch on July 01 but it did not solve the problem at all. We need to shame these guys in global level to listen to us like the note burning issues in the past.
  • Also within 1 year the price of the phone will be reduced 80%. Rather go for Iphone or if you are indian customer then go for one plus. 
0 Likes
SH_0101
First Poster
Options

Had the same issue and turning on the "always on" works perfectly. Unfortunately, only saw this after rebooting and wiping the cache. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Thank you so much for sharing!

0 Likes
Madhur
Student
Options

latest update fixed this for me

0 Likes