Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Custom Dictionary Since Latest Update

(Topic created on: 15-04-2021 08:03 AM)
Nayno
Apprentice
Options

Since the latest Feb update I lost my custom dictionar . 

Samsung support doesn't know how to get it back after talking to various support people. 

Developers or User, please advis . 

Thanks. 

28 REPLIES 28
kc135rflyr
Student
Options

No, no, no, no, no, no. 

emberkali
First Poster
Options

how do you download and use the Google keyboard? I'm not tech savvy, but done waiting for a fix from samsung

Niinos
Student
Options

Hi mate!

I just copied the text from this website: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-change-terrible-keyboard-your-samsung-galaxy-phone

Hope it works for you :smiling-face: 

Choosing a new keyboard

If you want to really get into it, there are hundreds of keyboard options on Google Play. You could spend hours and hours researching, but if you want to cut to the chase, we highly recommend starting with one of our favorites.

Google's own Gboard and the ever-present SwiftKey are excellent starting points that millions of people use and enjoy. Critically, they're both leaps and bounds ahead of Samsung's own keyboard. And they're both free!

Install either one of these suggested keyboards, or another you find in the Play Store, and then you'll be ready to switch.

How to switch keyboards on your Samsung Galaxy phone

1. Install your replacement keyboard of choice.

• It will automatically become available in your settings, even if there's no app icon associated with it.

2. Tap on the Settings app.
  3. Scroll down to General management.
  4. Tap on Language and input.
  5. Tap on On-screen keyboard.
  6. Tap on Default keyboard.
  7. Select the new keyboard you'd like to use by tapping it in the list.
    • Your new keyboard choice will now be displayed every time a keyboard is needed in the system — the default keyboard will never appear.

Now that you have a new keyboard set as the default, there are a few extra things to know about keyboards on Android.

When you install most third-party keyboards, they will come with additional settings you can use to tweak how the keyboard looks and acts. Sometimes this comes in the form of an "app" in the app drawer that you can tap that takes you to the settings. You can usually access these settings quickly from the keyboard itself — there will often be a settings icon that'll jump right to the same place. If all else fails, head back to the "Language and input" settings for keyboard settings.

You can have multiple keyboards installed at once! Only one can be set as the default, but you can keep several installed if you're still on the fence about which one you like. If you have a need to switch between keyboards regularly, by default, you'll see a small keyboard selection button in the navigation bar any time you have a keyboard open. Just tap it, and you can quickly switch between any keyboard you've previously installed. All of the configurations options stay put.

Junn
Student
Options

I HATE IT really! While im enjoying swipe or continous input on Samsung, and then suddenly it all messed up after update. And now I'm suffering on typing on my language, while it got many slang that I need my own dictionary. PLS MAKE IT BACK ON MY DEVICE. Samsung wiped it while I'm wasted many times on typing those text one by one on progress. And now it blank and hard to use.

0 Likes
Junn
Student
Options

GREAT suggestion. I like it on first impression. I think I'll try using this than Samsung's!

0 Likes
AlliJB
First Poster
Options
this has just happened to me. I wish I had never installed the most recent update yesterday. it simply wiped all the personal things it learnt and refuses to learn more. I hoped to keep this phone but if Samsung are reading this still what are you going to do about it? be honest.
0 Likes
Options

the text shortcut option is greyed out - and no longer an alterable option.

0 Likes
TBlas
First Poster
Options

I had the same issue that all my Samsung Keyboard text replacements disappeared from my settings area. That's when I looked up and found this thread.  However, I simply went to re-add the shortcut for my email address, and that triggered the system to automatically re-import all 30+ text shortcuts that had recently disappeared. Maybe that can help others....at least something to try!

0 Likes
nosville22
First Poster
Options

Same here on Note 9
What's more - after an update re-added it in the settings, the dictionary just keeps crashing when I try to open it.

0 Likes