Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Lock screen notifications

(Topic created on: 10-08-2018 04:01 PM)
TheJWills
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi, I just Pré ordered my S9 and I’m swapping from iPhone. I’ve seen loads of posts about people not getting lock screen notifications and all the fixes seem to involve the always on display setting being on. Is there a way you can get notifications on your lock screen without it and have the screen to wake for a short time like it does on iOS or do you have to use the aod feauture 

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35
pfoote
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This IS the solution. Thanks Andrew!

0 Likes
Brakus
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Turn off edge lighting 

gobears
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Brakus! Thank you! It was the edge lighting. Not sure why that is on by default, but when edge lighting is on, it replaces popup notifications. Thank you!

0 Likes
tea01
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@gobears, do you have Always On Display enabled too? I've tried disabling edge lighting already (even though edge lighting doesn't work) and it still doesn't work. When Always On Display is enabled and I get a notification, I'll get a little bubble showing me what kind of notification it is but not a preview of what it contains which is what I guess everyone wants.

The accessibility thing seems to be the only workaround but I rather not have to move my hand over the sensor either. It doesn't really play nice with the 'block accidental touches' feature since if you swipe your hand to wake the screen, you'll also trigger it and get a popup requiring you to press ok to dismiss it.

0 Likes
gobears
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Actually, yeah, with the "always on" screen, I don't get the notificatinos, just the tiny little indicator icon. That's a problem. I definitely don't want to put the hand wave sensor on or it will always be looking for my hand and wasting battery. Plus, if I'm close enough to wave my hand over it, I'm going to be able to click the side button to see the lock screen, anyway, so that's not a fix, either. This is the only problem I have with this phone now. Samsung needs to fix that with their next update, so you can actually see your messages and missed calls on the "always on screen."

LivInspired
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This may have been a previous option but does not exist on my phone. I haven’t received any notifications on my locked screen since receiving my new Samsung s9 a few days ago. I have tried Avery setting I could figure out and on the web. I was hoping this one you shared was finally the fix. However there is no hide content option under this Notifications panel. 

0 Likes
LivInspired
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This may have been a previous option but does not exist on my phone. I haven’t received any notifications on my locked screen since receiving my new Samsung s9 a few days ago. I have tried every setting I could figure out and then turned to the the web. I was hoping this one you shared was finally the fix. However there is no “hide content” option under this Notifications panel. 😞 

0 Likes
Stepho2000
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Figured it out!! Go to accessibility, then tap hearing then tap screen notification light on!! 

0 Likes
tea01
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Turning the accessibility setting on still didn't do anything for me. What I think finally worked for me was getting the app Glimpse Notifications, which basically wakes up the screen when you get a notification, but when you combine it with Edge Lighting, it seems to work. However, there's still some Edge Lighting features that still don't work properly, like having the color of the light be the app color of the notification.

0 Likes
JeffSam
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Based on your recommendation, I just installed Glimpse Notification as well. A good work around. Still wish I could get notifications natively though. My son's S8 shows notifications perfectly at the top of the screen and this work around is not necessary. I don't get it.

0 Likes