Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Is there a way to stop the newest software update?

(Topic created on: 18/03/19 04:22)
Freedom_ski
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I've seen how awful it is and I've been able to put it off, but my phone just said it'll update next time my phone is off or in about a week at 2am or something. Or if there isn't a way to stop it would doing a factory reset once it updates help? But I don't really want to go through and set my phone back up the way I currently have it. Any help? Thanks!

66 REPLIES 66
Enjay
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

PicsArt_10-09-07.30.19.jpg

Just Google how to to use them, that's what I did 

Arrebel13
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I have googled this option and there is no search results explaining this option at all. Can you provide the instructions to do this?

Enjay
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Googled what? And what explanation? 

Tran909
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

There is no way to disable on S10.  I try youtube, google and all those setting still get update and i ignore it but eventually it will update itself.

Enjay
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Nothing in developer settings? 

Personally though after oreo android 8 I wouldn't bother stopping updates. 

That was the whole reason for this thread, android 9 removes features like pro mode for video etc so people wanted to stay on oreo. 

Lillalizard
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I searched for it and clicked on the 2nd one that popped up and auto update was in there. 

0 Likes
Magom
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thank you for your instructions. It works perfectly on my S9

Lillalizard
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I found how to do it on the S10. I am sure everyone was able to find the Build Number in the about phone section. After I enabled that I went up top to the search bar and typed in developer options and clicked the 2nd one. There is where I was able to disable Auto Update. 

0 Likes
Arrebel13
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
It wont, they disabled that button. It does nothing.
0 Likes
Enjay
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

If you're no longer on oreo there's not really any point in stopping the updates anyway. 

0 Likes
Reymund602
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

There is a point in stopping the updates. You can choose to stay on android 9, avoid 10 or any further system updates. 

0 Likes
Enjay
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

My phone runs better on 10 than it did on 9 and my battery life is much the same as on oreo. I stayed on oreo for a long time. 

Plus we should be getting pro video back with UI 2.1 when it appears. 

Only reason I ever stopped the updates was to stay on oreo, don't really see the point after that. 

0 Likes
Je655
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

0 Likes
Reymund602
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

TADownloader (com.samsung.android.tadownloader) is a process used at  device startup for the biometric update. When disabled this process is no longer ran and cannot retrieve updates for the biometric scanner at device startup thus dismissing the update nag for the biometric/security update in the notification panel. 

System Updates (com.samsung.sdm) is the process that samsung uses to connect to the servers to retrieve system software information of the device. Upon verification of device via baseband, OS, kernel, etc the device gets applicable OS Updates. By disabling this process you eliminate system updates. 

System Updates UI (com.samung.sdmviewer) is the process that enables the user to have an interface to check for system updates and manually install them. By disabling this process you can longer manually install system updates, or check for them. The option is available in system settings but can no longer be interacted with and be redirected to the sub menu where a user would check/manually install updates. 

0 Likes
Arrebel13
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Yes just as I stated in my other post. Said the update button is useless.

0 Likes
Dagwat
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

There is no such option on the S10

Reymund602
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I have actually found a way to disable updates as well as persistent update notifications. Im unsure if this method works on S9 and below but I have done this on a samsung Note 10+ 5G as well as two S10 5G and it works flawlessly!

Download an app called CCSWE from google play store. 

When installed search applications for System update, disable the application. Next search for TA downloader and disable that as well. 

Screenshot_20200321-152803_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20200321-152431_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20200321-152559_Settings.jpg

Next reboot your phone and you're good to go! Also, when doing this if you click System Updates under settings you wont be able to even go to the next screen or check for updatesScreenshot_20200321-152559_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20200321-152803_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
Dagwat
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

The only thing that will stop this is A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against Samsung for hijacking our personal property and controlling it as if it were their own. Our phones are bought and paid for by us and Samsung has no right to force updates on us against our wishes, interfere with our lives and put us in danger while they're doing it. I am 100% in this if someone wants to get the ball rolling.

FatesWebb
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

settings

biometrics and security

other security settings

security policy settings

disable auto updates

0 Likes
Dr23
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Unfortunately there is no solution to this unless you root your phone which is why I went back to Iphone. Going into developer settings and turning off automatic updates will only do just that. When you get a notification that there is a new update you cant only delay it about 9 times before it will forcibly update your device. I think they do this so that you will have no choice but to get a new phone every few years because we all know that especially with android they degrade in performance very fast. Those new updates on a phone over a year old do start to slow it down. I hate that. I pay over $1000 for a phone and still not mine. Total bull%**+.

Je655
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Actually there is an app that works perfectly for samsung without root. Use package disabler pro for Samsung. Im currently using version 15.2 and it works on my s9 to stay on 9.0. Just download package disabler pro (Samsung) and disable the following packages and the forced updates & notifications will instantly disappear forever. 

Package disabler free: (http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=98312592863715617598)

Package disabler Google play 3$: (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kinder.pksafety)

For Samsung s9: disable these packages 

Software Update
com.sec.android.soagent

Software update
com.wssyncmldm"

If you have root access and want to disable the apps

SOAgent.apk

FotaAgent.apk

Note 10 (unverified by me, thanks to others for contributing information about your note 10)
When installed search applications for System update, disable the application. Next search for TA downloader and disable that as well. 

System update
com.samsung.sdm

TADownloader com.samsung.android.tadownloader

System Updates UI com.samung.sdmviewer

And as always be very careful what you disable! and backup your data before changing any major system settings. ( if you disable the wrong program/package your phone could be stuck in a boot loop and need to be factory reset)S9- I selected the 2 apps that control software updatesS9- I selected the 2 apps that control software updates

Samsung s9 on Android version 9Samsung s9 on Android version 9