Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot with Android 10 missing Allowed Devices

(Topic created on: 28-06-2020 06:37 AM)
GravityPurple
Student
Options

This message was originally sent to Samsung Members via Error Reports. Here's my copy of the last part to them.  My concern isn't being answered though. I understand that Google have random Mac addresses however my devices are not Google devices. I live by roundabout and with my last wired broadband. I noticed outside Android devices using my broadband without my permission. Changed passwords and they come back within minutes. Your Allowed Devices works like a dream, tested it with one of my phones and even with my password, it couldn't connect to my hotspot. I know with Android 10 you've added Auto Hotspot for Samsung devices but my Devices are Xbox One X, PS4, 2 Oculus devices, Amazon sticks. They will never be Android 10 Devices.

The odds of a Google Device randomly selecting one of my devices MAC addresses and being in range of my hotspot are less an me winning the lottery. If there are no plans to add Allowed Devices back. Can you tell me and if it is so I can reset this phone back to Android 9. The loss of Allowed Devices is greater than any gains of Android 10.

29 REPLIES 29
GhostKitsune
Student
Options

you're missing the whole point of the past feature; you didn't need to go into options to change it from visible to not... it only let allowed devices connect to yours. 

Not on the allowed list? it aint connecting mate.

the new "visible" feature is annoying and an extra step we didn't need or want...

Mobile_app
Student
Options

My samsung a50 hotspot not listed on personal hp laptop but am unable to view in other laptops, thus giving an overview no issue with a50.

But at same time in my personal hp laptop am able to detect other Samsung mobile hotspots, thus giving an overview no issue with my laptop.

So unable to troubleshoot where the issue in laptop and samsung mobile.

This happened after  the recent samsung update and allowed device is also missing under mobile hotspot and tethering menu in mobile.

kororaa
Apprentice
Options

Make sure you don't have 5GHz set to on/default on your hotspot.  If your laptop is older and doesn't have a 5GHz radio, it will never see the hotspot.  Unchecking this box will default back to the good old 2.4 GHz band which works just fine.

Mobile_app
Student
Options

Please note my hotspot is my samsung a50 and it was been detected in my hp laptop before, now its not getting listed after a recent upgrade on my handset. Even the frequency option mentioned is not avaialble in mobile, nor in laptop.

Catch is other samsung phone hotspot/tethering is working on my laptop and also checked this a50 am able  to tether on a different laptop too.

Issue is a50 mobile of mine is not abke to tether on my personal hp laptop.

0 Likes
HTJ
First Poster
Options

Exactly and great points. 

0 Likes
zozo9sami
First Poster
Options
“Allowed Devices"
It was a lot more than a great feature. We want her back as soon as possible.
Pgertse7
Student
Options

I regret updating my device to android 10 simply becuase of this missing setting. This setting was much more usefull to me then any other setting on my phone. I could block any phone on the network but now any deice can connect to my network. Hidding the network or setting a password on the network doesnt work the same as allowing devices which was more powerfull setting. If samsung is not going to bring back this setting than it leaves me no choice but to flash my device back to android 9 and never updte this phone again.

Je655
Helping Hand
Options

@Pgertse7 wrote:

I regret updating my device to android 10 simply becuase of this missing setting. This setting was much more usefull to me then any other setting on my phone. I could block any phone on the network but now any deice can connect to my network. Hidding the network or setting a password on the network doesnt work the same as allowing devices which was more powerfull setting. If samsung is not going to bring back this setting than it leaves me no choice but to flash my device back to android 9 and never updte this phone again.

They also force updates now, so you will need to block that too if you want to stay on android 9.0

Here is a guide on how you can block updates:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s9-s9/is-there-a-way-to-stop-the-newest-software-update/t...

0 Likes
Pgertse7
Student
Options

Then i think its by time that i switch over to Hauwei cause samsung it`s doing it for me any more. I have always been a samsung lover from my tv to my phone but this one setting gonner make me switch to the chinees brands.

0 Likes
e31
First Poster
Options

yes,even i feel the same.