Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Galaxy S9+: Still no Android Pie update! And I don't know where my phone came from.

(Topic created on: 24/03/19 19:43)
peckinin
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi all,

I've had my S9+ since around October last year. I live in the UK, but wanted the phone in Titanium Grey which isn't offered here, so I bought one from eBay brand new, but I'm not sure what country it is from but I know it isn't the UK version. I bought the cheapest new phone I could find. It's the 64GB Dual SIM unlocked model. You can't buy a 64GB S9+ in the UK. I think it could be a UAE version, since in the box the plastic sleeve around the documentation says UAE certified and the warranty card is in both English and Arabic.  It came with a 3-pin charger which is also used in the UAE but the UK as well. I went to a Samsung store in Dubai last time I was there and they sold a variant that had the same specs as mine.

I had an S7 before it, on which I received a security patch every month. I did notice my new S9+ not receiving these and I found it slightly unusual if nothing else. I was looking forward to updating to Android Pie in January, but almost 4 months later and I haven't got the update but all my friends with UK S9's and S9+'s and even S8's have got it now. So I've been increasingly concerned about my phone never having recieved an update. The security patch is currently August 2018.

I tried to find out what software my phone is running by installing an app called Phone INFO Samsung, which tells me I'm running the XEU CSC code, which is UK and Ireland. This was confusing as I feel like some different software version has been installed on it at some point before I bought it. I've spoken to Samsung tech support and all they tell me to do is turn on automatic updates and wait for it. I've had it on since i got the phone. But I haven't received a single monthly security patch update so why should I think I'll ever be able to get any update at all!

Can anyone help me or at least help me understand why I'm not getting the update? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Unfortunately this can be the issue when a person imports a phone to their country that was meant to be used in another. 

XEU csc code is an Samsung phone that's unlocked to all networks but not supplied directly by Samsung.

The ones supplied by Samsung are BTU.

Updates are sent out dependant on country of origin and the phones build and serial number.

Samsung are correct to say keep checking the software update section in the phone.

You could if you wish pop over to the xdadevelopers site to look at firmware options which may / may not yield help.

A person doing this does so at their own sole responsibility knowing that a phone can be put Into an unusable state and possible manufacturing warranty being voided.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860_256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 3.1/ Android 11.

0 Likes
peckinin
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll try installing any firmware manually. Guess I'd better just wait then.

0 Likes
Gasimzadeh
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
did you downloaded firmware manually?
0 Likes
GalaxyGirl21
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I have the same problem as you except my phone is an unlocked American phone (SM-G950U1) and I also live in the UK. I am on Oreo and haven't received an update since I bought this phone!

Thanks!

0 Likes