Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S9 display washed out/colour banding

(Topic created on: 14-09-2021 09:07 PM)
Rigger1987
Student
Options
In the last few days my phone screen looks 'washed out' I have the standard galaxy s9 infinity wallpaper, and the colour gradient seems very poor? There is noticeable banding between the colours, which is made much worse when I drag down the notification window. (Abit like 16 bit colour as opposed to 32 bit)

I have turned off adaptive brightness, blue light filter etc to no avail. The only time the colours seem to not be washed out is when I dial *#0*# and view the red, blue & green test screens. 

I would attempt to take a screen grab, but I suspect the colours might look OK on your viewing device as I believe it is something to do with the software on my device. I have come to this conclusion as the display used to be much better and I have not dropped the phone etc. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know of a fix?

Many thanks for your time
4 REPLIES 4
David_RP
Student
Options

I have the same issue, try enabling always on display and activate it before unlocking your phone.

0 Likes
David_RP
Student
Options

Try with the app called Oled Saver, fixed the issue for me. 

Another workaround is enabling always on display, when you are facing the banding colour issue, block the phone then activate always on screen and unlock your phone from there.

This issue is clearly software related and something that samsung need to fix.

Aus-user
First Poster
Options

In Samsung's wisdom, it seems that the always on display workaround has been disabled - because always on display now doesn't work after the August 22 update (Telstra Aus). That said, my screen (s10e) is only washed out now, and the banding no longer occurs. 

0 Likes
P1two
First Poster
Options

Another related topic https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s9-series/s9-suddenly-washed-out-colors-black-crush/td-p/...
Sadly, no solution from Samsung, we are just a bunch of clowns to them.

0 Likes