Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

fingerprint sensor isnt responding S9

(Topic created on: 09-03-2023 12:20 PM)
Members_CYELvuh
Student
Options

Today (09/03), my fingerprint was not recognised by my Samsung S9. This is not only for phone lock but for apps also. For example, if I go into WhatsApp I am told 'Fingerprint operation cancelled'.

The sensor is clean and the phone undamaged.

I attempted to remove my fingerprints, but cannot install new ones as 'fingerprint sensor isnt responding'. Whats more, the fingerprints I removed, return after a restart.

I have cleared cache using Power + Vol Up + Bixby buttons.

I did receive an Android update a few days ago. And am not sure if I can go back to an earlier patch to see if this makes a difference.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Members_CYELvuh
Student
Options

Thanks. So I did these, some didn't apply, but overall it did not work. So I removed all fingerprints, disabled fingerprint settings, backed up all of my data just in case, and then deleted all downloaded apps before clearing cache again.

This time, when I powered up my device, all fingerprints were absent and I was successfully able to scan a new fingerprint, and enable fingerprint lock for apps again. I reinstalled my downloaded apps one by one just now and have had no issues with any of them.

It could be that clearing all fingerprints, then disabling fingerprint lock, before clearing cache is what did the trick. Only sure way to know is from the next person with this problem to do the above and confirm if it was successful.

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
PaulM1
Options

Hi there, @Members_CYELvuh. It's strange that your fingerprint sensor isn't responding as expected on your S9.

Even though I appreciate you may have already tried some of these steps, I recommend trying all of the steps in the guide below:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/my-fingerprint-scanner-isnt-working/

If the steps do not help you resolve this, then I recommend submitting an Error report - the instructions for doing this are linked at the bottom of the aforementioned guide.

Please let me know when you get your fingerprint sensor responding as expected again.

Solution
Members_CYELvuh
Student
Options

Thanks. So I did these, some didn't apply, but overall it did not work. So I removed all fingerprints, disabled fingerprint settings, backed up all of my data just in case, and then deleted all downloaded apps before clearing cache again.

This time, when I powered up my device, all fingerprints were absent and I was successfully able to scan a new fingerprint, and enable fingerprint lock for apps again. I reinstalled my downloaded apps one by one just now and have had no issues with any of them.

It could be that clearing all fingerprints, then disabling fingerprint lock, before clearing cache is what did the trick. Only sure way to know is from the next person with this problem to do the above and confirm if it was successful.

0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

That's brilliant, @Members_CYELvuh. Thanks for updating the thread and letting everyone know the specific steps you followed to resolve this. That's very helpful 👍

0 Likes
Doolallywoo
First Poster
Options
I had a security update 3 days ago and experiencing "fingerprint operation cancelled" ever since. What can I do? Samsung note 9
0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Doolallywoo ,

I have found this thread that may help you getting this sorted: fingerprint operation canceled - Page 2 - Samsung Members

0 Likes