Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Bring back the individual text tones and notifications on S9

(Topic created on: 04/03/19 02:47)
Tina22
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I am somewhat regretting getting the S9 because I can't complete the simple task of setting individual text tones for my contacts. I also hate that it sounds like I have a text when an email comes in or any other notification that isn't a text since apparently separate apps aren't allowed to have different notification sounds. Please, just put it back to how you had it before Samsung!

181 REPLIES 181
WPacker
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@Busybass wrote:
I called Samsung today, as I just bought my S9+ on the weekend, and they told me it is an Android update to the operating system NOT Samsung. Everyone needs to complain to Google and request it be changed back.
I totally agree....my S7 had this feature, but now my new phone doesn't - definite downgrade!!!

It is there.  It's not in the same area as before but you can set up individual ringtones.   

0 Likes
BigBrad
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Incorrect. You can't do it. You can assign individual tones to the CONVERSATION but you can't assign tones to the INDIVIDUAL. If you are working with a Group conversation, all tones come out with the default tone (unless you assign a tone to the thread, then ALL messages come out with the default tone) or it comes out with a tone that you assign to THAT thread. And if you delete that thread, there goes any configuration that you might have set. If you do group conversations, try it and you'll find that it doesn't work.
Trust me. I've been fighting this for a month now since I got my new phone.
0 Likes
NMCajun
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I agree. The more I use my new S9 the more I find that Samsung has really screwed up a great phone. If it ain't broke don't fix it! There are other issues as well that I have called Samsung about, but simply said...leave the apps alone. Why do I want my contacts associated with all my events? How about a little privacy?  Duh! 

majorcyvaco
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@NMCajun wrote:

I agree. The more I use my new S9 the more I find that Samsung has really screwed up a great phone. If it ain't broke don't fix it! There are other issues as well that I have called Samsung about, Videoder Tubemate Snaptube but simply said...leave the apps alone. Why do I want my contacts associated with all my events? How about a little privacy?  Duh! 

choose your personal tones. I know its a bit long winded and only works if you have updated to the latest message setting. Hope this helps

0 Likes
Deam23
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Yes, this is very disappointing. Unfortunately I just found this out today. That is the only real disappointment so far  I hope the next update will change this

0 Likes
S59
Back for More
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I have been very disappointed too. It was because of the custom sounds for text notifications that made me choose an S9 over an iPhone. I hope they bring it back!

S59
Back for More
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I have been very disappointed since finding out my new S9 phone won't let me have delegate sounds for text messages from my favorite contacts. It was because of the custom sounds for text notifications that made me choose an S9 over an iPhone. I hope they bring it back!

Galaxys91
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

PLEASE BRING BACK INDIVIDUAL TEXT TONES!

It's like our family sos.  If I hear a certain tone I know I should possibly have a look!

AndroidGuru
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

There is an another option if you dont have update for app yet. Download and install apk manually from Apkmirror. Just download the newest one and give it a try. It works for me on S7/S7 Edge, S8/S8+ and also S9/S9+. Let me know if it helps. Regards.

Edit: ON S8 4.4.30.5 works aswell.

0 Likes
Tina22
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Did this, it only recognizes half my custom sounds I have in my notifications folder and also really messed up the color scheme on my messages (now has dark grey lettering on a black background) making it very difficult to read my messages. I haven't had time yet to mess with the color settings to fix that issue now. But mainly, the sound I had specifically for my husband before still shows with the other sound files but doesn't show as an option to set it as his notification sound now.
0 Likes
Galaxys91
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thank you for listening!

I can now tell my text tones apart!

My family is separated from others.

0 Likes
Heidi2227
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
How??? It still not fixed on my 9+ and om not talking about the thread I'm talking about each contact with their own text tone
0 Likes
BigBrad
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
It will work for individual messages and not in group messages. And if you delete that thread, you lose all customization.
0 Likes
Heidi2227
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Right so it's not fixed
0 Likes
BigBrad
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@Heidi2227 wrote:
Right so it's not fixed

Yup...  same thing I've been saying for the past several months.  People just read the headlines and bring up the same old, "Click the three dots in the corner" stuff and never read the thread.  Oh well.. thank goodness for Cut and paste.  LOL

0 Likes
bmontgo
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

SAMSUNG FINALLY FIXED IT. today I was checking my text messages and there was an update icon on the hamburger menu and it was for the text message update that brings the individual text notifications back. Yay it works agian.

0 Likes
Red2621
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hamburger menu??

0 Likes
Jeff3
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I am pretty sure at this point that anyone posting that it works for them is just a troll.

0 Likes
Sh12
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Well I think you need to adjust your thinking. As I have mentioned,  since the update it sort of works for me. Definitely not perfect, but can change the tones for separate contacts. Agree should be able to choose any sound and could be easier to use.

0 Likes
bmontgo
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Screenshot_20180621-212424_Messages.jpg

0 Likes
AndroidGuru
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Jeff3:

What about to try download updated app from apkmirror, as i said before, instead of crying about possible trolls. It works with some updated apps only, ppl who didnt get the udpate yet can download apk manually. Simple solution.

0 Likes