Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain S9: Google Play = main suspect

(Topic created on: 10-04-2021 08:48 AM)
NinoGaRRis
Explorer
Options

Hi all,

Since ~3 days the battery of my Samsung S9 is draining multiple times faster than it usually did (never had any battery issues). The last two nights my phone died during the night, even though I went to bed with 50 or 60+ %. The phone also seems to heat up more than usual at times.

Checked the battery usage directly after powering up this morning (pls see screenshot below) - and it shows going to bed at midnight with around 60% battery, then all normal until about 3am - and then within ~4 hrs the battery drained from ~60% to dead. Google Play Services is shown as the worst offender. (it feels like this is connected to the most recent Play Stores update - where it changed the look/style of the Play store app (e.g. accessing and updating your apps by clicking on your top right corner instead of top left as it was before)

Any helpful advice or tips to check?

UPDATE 18.04.2021: Still having the same issue and none of my manual checks/workarounds has worked so far. Every couple of days my phone dies within a few hours over night - every time it happens the battery usage looks exactly like on the pic below. Something is not right with Google Play Services as it always is the only app showing the heavy consumption. The phone also turns noticeably warmer during these few hours of high battery consumption. I have not found a way to completely disable Google Play Services or at least turn of their background activities. Any advice?

UPDATE 27.04.2021: Since about 10 days my girlfriend's Samsung S10+ is having the same issue. Nothing that we have tried seems to be properly working. Most times I go to bed, the battery drain is within a normal threshold, but Phone is dead in the morning - last night it only started draining hours after I went to bed.

UPDATE 03.05.2021: Unfortunately no change - issue still happens multiple times a week. Always showing Google  Play Services as the only offender of draining the battery way stronger than usual. I really hope that someone from Samsung would look into that and I also really hope that this would be addressed in the upcoming software update for May.

UPDATE 14.05.2021: Goods news from my side - in the last couple of days i didn't have the battery drain issue at all and on top of that since yesterday I had the May update available for my S9. What I have read so far here and in some other forums is that folks who did receive the May update already, stopped having issues 🙂 Please keep me all posted here.

Thanks in advance,

Nino

Phone: S9 (SM-G960F) One UI 2.5 / Android 10 / Kernel Version 4.9.118-21315611 (Tue Mar 23 2021)

Google Play Services Version 21.09.15

Google Play Store Version 24.7.28-21

Screenshot_20210410-092941_Device care.jpg

30 REPLIES 30
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I'm using the beta version which is less of a battery hog.

0 Likes
bolek_yd
Student
Options

Hi, the same issue since installed latest Samsung update (Mar 23 2021). Was able to solve it by disabling background activities for most of Samsung APPs (Samsung Health, Internet, Cloud, OneUI etc.) - seems one of the APPs has a bug.

NinoGaRRis
Explorer
Options

Thanks a lot for confirming - it helps me to know that I am not the only one with that issue. 😉

Disabling background activities sounds like a good short term work-around. Will do the same, but that will result in these Samsung services not working correctly anymore right? E.g. Samsung health will stop monitoring my steps etc.?

0 Likes
bolek_yd
Student
Options

Yes, it is the problem. Seems that some services will not more work correctly if disabled in background. My next step is to start enabling them back 1by1 to see which one has the problem, although I expect it is OneUI, but not yet verified. At least I tried to kill Samsung Health sometime ago, but it not helped. 

NinoGaRRis
Explorer
Options

Thanks again - I will post my experiences over the next days/weeks here as well. Thanks in advance for your doing the same (I am also hoping that this issue is big enough for Samsung to fix it in their next round of updates)

0 Likes
NinoGaRRis
Explorer
Options

Any more success on your side @bolek_yd  ?

Still having the same issue and none of my manual checks/workarounds has worked so far. Every couple of days my phone dies within a few hours over night - every time it happens the battery usage looks exactly like on the pic below. Something is not right with Google Play Services as it always is the only app showing the heavy consumption. The phone also turns noticeably warmer during these few hours of high battery consumption. I have not found a way to completely disable Google Play Services or at least turn of their background activities. Any advice?

0 Likes
sabu_raj82
First Poster
Options
Exactly the same problem thst you are having battery draining and phone going hot. All after my phone update. Is there anything we can actually do that works??
0 Likes
Chaddy06
First Poster
Options
I'm having exactly the same issues. Updated on Saturday. Sunday and Monday morning dead phone and flat battery. I didnt have battery problem's before. Anyone found a solution yet?
0 Likes
NinoGaRRis
Explorer
Options

Thanks @sabu_raj82 & @Chaddy06 - unfortunately no solution yet. It stills pops up for me every other day. And my girlfriend's Samsung S10+ is having exactly the same issue. With two phones impacted just in my household and people on this thread having the same issue, this means this is bigger.

Definitely big enough for Samsung to look into this, but seems like Samsung doesn't care about this and wants us to buy new phones...how can we get a moderator of this forum to look into this issue?

0 Likes