Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Badge count problem for messages and WhatsApps

(Topic created on: 01-03-2023 11:54 AM)
Bel-Fz
Explorer
Options

Hi, My problem is the "badge count" on the app icon for Messages and WhatsApp, as this is showing the wrong information.  

If I receive a new message, either on Messages or Whatsapp the badge count is temporarily correct, but if I read one of those messages, leaving others unread, the badge count disappears, showing no unread messages, which is wrong. 

EG at the moment I have one "unread" message in Messages.  I know what it said because I saw the popup when it oringally came.  I don't want to "read" it as I haven't dealt with it yet.  This unread message doesn't show on the badge count unless another message comes through.  Then it says 2, correctly.  But as soon as I read that new message the badge count disappears.  

Likewise with Whatsapp, if I receive 5 new messages the badge count correctly shows 5, but if I read ONE of those messages the badge count disappears, showing no unread messages.  

I have the Samsung S9, but had the S7 until recently and had exactly the same problem with that phone.  I think it started a few months ago.  I have tried everything in the settings.   I have also sent a message to Samsung Support asking for help on this, but haven't heard back from them.  

This really annoying - can anyone help please?

Thanks.  

Bel-Fz

18 REPLIES 18
elshush
Apprentice
Options

Hi there

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?  I just purchased a Samsung S10e and tried to return the phone after three days because I couldn't get unread badges to work once I'd opened the app. 

Unfortunately I managed to "open the box" while using the phone so they wouldn't accept returns. 😂😂

keopsBE
First Poster
Options
Have just buy new Samsung Galaxy A51 (few days ago) and have issues with the badge and proper number and encountered same issue as multiple old posts on other Samsung new version.
If I have read that before...I would not have anymore a Samsung...saying the issues was present on S8 or S9 and the update has not been taken into consideration with development team.
Even transfering data from my old A5 2017 and usingSmart Switch did not transfer the settings for badges and notifications as they were originlly. So nuseless too.
On my old Samsung (have also an A3) badges numbers and notifications were still working perfectly well...
0 Likes
Juube
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem. Started in S8 I think, continued with S9 and S20.  At first it was a bit more. Now it shows 8 messages in Whatsapp when I have 1 message. Also text message count is wrong. Really hope to receive correction after many years.

0 Likes
danx55
Voyager
Options
yes this is my least fave feature of a10 ... spotted it on my pixel3 too ... but he pix2 had normal badges 😕
v poor google 😞
0 Likes
BettyTaylor
First Poster
Options
I have a number one on my messages and it won't disappear despite having read all messages
0 Likes
Bel-Fz
Explorer
Options
Have you checked calls?
Also clear any notifications...
0 Likes
Bumbalore
First Poster
Options
I get one message come through and the badge shows 5. When I open it, the badge clears so it is obviously related to that one message.... Can anyone explain that please...? TY
weesandy
First Poster
Options
Hi, I'm having the same issue saying 9 on badge count but only one. Also sometimes states message sent at say 16.00 on the message but the icon / notification sound only pops up hours later and I've missed the meeting/event!! Doesn't make any difference if mobile data or WiFi either.
0 Likes